Looking for an FMA dojo in Long Beach, California...

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by surgingshark, Nov 13, 2003.

1. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I think the subject says it all :) Can you guys help?

Also, anyone ever heard of YawYan?

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Yaw Yan= sayaw ng kamataya (the dance of death). fma kickboxing that looks like muay thai. there are many differences though.

right now there are two types of yaw yan. traditional (called footboxing) and hybrid, which incorporates grappling.

founded by the great gm napoleon fernandez, yaw yan has spread here in the r.p. to be a system to contend with. in the 90s, the underground circiut saw the rivalry of yaw yan with the great bakbakan international school of master topher rickets. those were great times.

3. surgingshark

I didn't even KNOW there was an underground circuit. All I knew was that one of my cousins practiced that art and won a tournament on some remote island.

4. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

You might try contacting Jason Inay at http://www.inayan.com
    for info on So. Cal. FMA Great guy & should be able to help you out.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2003
  5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Blademaster John McCurry lives in Long Beach. He's very, very good but he strongly prefers blades over sticks and he doesn't care one bit about the art-part or the philosophical or spiritual side of any m.a. He just wants to study fighting. I have his phone number at home, but you can find him teaching knife fighting on Saturdays at the VDT Academy in Bellflower (www.serak.com, then click on VDT Academy).

The Dog Brothers are next door in Hermosa Beach. Have you checked them out?

The "Boxing Works" gym in HB used to have a class. Don't know if they still do.

7. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

for sticks try the DOG BROS. they teach fighting not just drills.

www.dogbrothers.com

Thier motto - "Higher Consciousness Through Harder Contact"

8. surgingshark

umm...wouldn't "harder contact" result in unconsciousness? :p

Seriously, thanks for the help, guys!

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Dog Brothers huh?

That name rings a bell :D

10. crovax612

crovax612 Valued Member

Maybe it's too far for you, but there's Dan Inosanto's school of FMA in Westchester. Past by it a few times, looks pretty cool, though I'm happy with the Muay Thai classes I'm taking right now.

http://www.inosanto.com/

Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts| 7298 West Manchester Ave., Suite B | Los Angeles, CA 90045