Long-winded hello!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ShangChi, Nov 12, 2011.

1. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Hello and salutations from a lurker who has decided to jump into your merry fray!

Pretty typical background: Shotokan in school, Shoto and kickboxing in high school, and a lifelong love of MA movies (and 70s/80s MA comics!!).

In my 20s I studied JKD and Wing Chun for a couple of years each, along with about 18 months of a Shaolin style.

That's right, I'm your typical dilettante! :bow1:

Still practice WC's Sil Lum Tao for the dynamic tension, though I'm sure it looks awful. Likewise my bagwork and shadowboxing must be so sloppy by now, it'd have real JKDers
    weeping into their t-shirts.

These days I'm studying Tai Chi, and have been for a few years. I've just returned to formal instruction after a work-induced hiatus. As my wife also plays TC
    we've been having fun throwing shapes and throwing each other around while I haven't been at class. :Angel:

Other interests are cycling, weight-training, reading, writing and thinkifying. I also meditate, though these days that's less of a hobby and more of a coping mechanism.:bang:

So, hello again, and I'm looking forward to getting proved wrong and being made to feel foolish on a regular basis by all you regulars!

:meditate:

TL;DR "Hello!"

2. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Heya, welcome to MAP! :D

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I look forward to testing this dude :D

It's really nice to meet you, stick around!

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Welcome aboard. I take it you're a comic book fan going by your username and avatar? Plenty of us here. Comics and martial arts go together well. :)

6. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Thanks for all the welcomes, and yes, I am a total comics geek! Everything I know about fighting, I learned from comic books :p

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

SURELY NOT HOW TO FIGHT! :p

8. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

I always wanted to learn from one of those 12" vinyl records that taught KARATE KUNG-FU BOXING SELF-DEFENSE!

Or join Count Dante's Black Dragon Fighting Society, you know, the real one.

Instead Dad packed me off to boring old karate classes :p:rolleyes: