Living the AIKIDO

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aikidoka-je, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Please tell me you're not still practicing jumping kicks with leg weights on. That's going to wreak havoc on your joints.

I wouldn't worry too much about writing up instructions for other people just yet. Concentrate on your own learning. There's an old adage about chasing two rabbits and catching neither one.

2. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Havn't tried that yet but thanks for the warning.

3. aikidoka-je

Ever get weak muscles and can't do your normal training routine? If your like me and you just gotta' do something anyway, try doing half of what you normally do that day. Simple eh? simple and it still counts!

4. aikidoka-je

Already learned 10 out of the 23 or so moves in the 'Songham 2' form.

I am finally happy with my performance of 'Songham 1' and am tempted to try it with Aikido-like movement.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. aikidoka-je

Have experimented with the Songham forms with Aikido style movement, it is very interesting - adds a very Kung-Fu like effect. Should be interesting to see how these two arts develop together as one!

----------

The bright-colored Japanese clothing was drawing the attention of people, even in my own back yard (aprtments are behind be and my fence is only about three ft tall - just enough to keep the dogs in).

Have some new, heavy work clothing to train with. - Maybe the stoned 20 somethings in the apartments behind my house will find this more boring and stop making their crazy noise and faces in my direction.

6. aikidoka-je

Finally beginning to develop good striking ~ the kind that can break through things!

Am keeping up the routine shown in post #16 and seem to have gained resonable speed and power within the past month (was not expecting it to happen so fast!).

Will continue to add resistence to the workouts each month until I need a new routine.

7. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Not sure if you already doing them, but a good exercise for striking is "closed fist pushups". You make sure only your two striking knuckles and their respective fingers are touching the ground (hand closed in a fist). Those knuckles are, at least in Karate, the index and middle finger knuckles. It serves to help keeping your hands straight at your wrist when you hit. (you don't want to bend it!)

8. aikidoka-je

I use that technique with a Chinese variation of the push-up done in the Lotus position.

You start by sitting and then raise your body off the ground with your fists.

9. aikidoka-je

I just discovered the Ice Bath to be the best after-workout ritual! - I'll be adding this to my sessions (if I can handle it that is!).

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I always preferred a beer, fish 'n' chips and slouching in front of the telly.

11. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Yea they work great for pain relief/post workout, but I hate them lol. I have to admit it helps alot though.

12. aikidoka-je

That should work too (if it isn't burned off too quickly :D ).

13. aikidoka-je

In Tae Kwon Do I just finished memorizing the 'Songahm 2' form and there are only a few days left before they want me to test for Yellow Belt.

I practice what I learn allot but still, i am not used to recieving rank so often. - Maybe if I learn everything the instructor knows he'll give m time to develop it all. LOL

14. aikidoka-je

Have just become a 'Yellow Belt' and begun to learn the 'Songahm 3' form in Tae Kwon Do. ~ Far too soon I think!

- It is said that these 'Songahm' forms are designed to strengthen each other as they are added. It seems to be true.

Songahm forms are performed within '9 pointed Songahm star', this is a very interesting way to teach the student about proper movement.

The Songahm style of Tae Kwon Do is very interesting if you look beyond the poor instructors and McDojoism it is plagued with.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so are you doing tdk now?

16. aikidoka-je

How could I post about my progress if I wasn't currently learning TKD?

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

ok. it's your thread so it's cool. but the thread title is "living the aikido".

do you even do aikido?

18. aikidoka-je

Aikido is more than a martial art, it is a martial way. The martial arts that is usually taught in Aikido is derived from the Daito Ry Aiki-Jujutsu (which I know).

The Aikido itself can be applied to all martial arts, not only that but it can be applied to all aspects of life! - this took me a long time to understand.

Since moving away from Utah, I have stopped going to Aikido seminars but I still do practice the Aiki-Jujutsu as well as everything else I learned from Aikido seminars.

What I learned from them continues to improve and shape my life. That is why I choose 'Living The AI KI DO' as the title. :hat:

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

How long did you study Daito-ryu for?

Which branch did you train with?

20. aikidoka-je

I took seminars from early 2006 to early 2009 then I moved to Texas and tranined with a smaller group from mid 2009 to mid 2010 ~ didn't learn anything new there so I quit.

I don't know what you mean by 'branch'. What I learned was just the standard Aiki Jujutsu taught by the Aikikai..