Live blade

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Alansmurf, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

This is the 100th Post on this topic

I expected a litle feedback but not the polarisation that has arisen.

I feel there are merits in each and every contributors comments and opinions ;)

Keep on with the debate I for one find it entertaining and enlightening.

train hard and be safe ... :D

Smurf

2. oosh

oosh Valued Member

"The point is if you can touch the blade in training you obviouly not training realistic/alive"

incorrect I'm afraid, try telling this guy that ;)

http://yuli.beardpower.co.uk/yuli_sword.jpg

from 'Warrior Arts of the Philippines' by Master Rey Galang: page 171 interview with GM Epifanio 'Yuli' Romo

' PL: Punong Guro, you are renowned for your effective and dynamic disarming techniques techniques. Can you tell me more about this please ?
    YR: When we disarm, the stick really flies! it's a pity we don't have more room here to properly disarm. Sometimes the stick will fly ten metres or more! these disarms came from Tatang.

In 1994 I did a demonstration with Jaime (Master Jaime Quizana) at the Rizal Memorial Centre. Bob Breen saw that because he had a team from England and they watched it. I think Krishna (Godhania) saw that too! when we did the disarm the stick hit the roof. People stopped watching other demonstrations to watch us.

On another occasion at Rizal Memorial, people wanted to see sword disarms. Nobody wanted to help demonstrate the disarm, so one instructor from system attacked Jaime with a Barong. Jaime disarmed the Barong on his neck. The people were amazed to the the sword flying of his neck!'

-This disarm method is called 'Kapa' in the Zu'bu Ka'li Ilustrisimo, it bloody well hurts ! done with even the slightest force it hurts - with alot of force say good bye to your thumb ! :D My teacher says Zu'Bu students are easily recognisable by our often swollen thumbs ! :D -

this also on page 172:
    'PL: I understand that you have worked as a bodyguard for many years. What are you views on realistic training for a possible encounter ?
    YR: I have worked as a body guard to a local mayor for many years. I also teach the Philippine Armed Forces. Training must be realistic to prepare for life and death situations. Altough my group has won many tournament fights, our training is normally with live sticks. Although sometimes painful, it is more realistic. My students actually get very excited if training with live blades because their techniques have to be right !'

- of course Gm Yuli teaches in the Philippines, so law suits aren't so likely ;) Though hopefully one day we'll get to see him over here in the UK.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  3. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I saw that too and it was a joke. It was not full speed, it was a controlled cut without power, and the guy wrapped his fingers around the blade to disarm the guy. It was a stupid technique that has no place within a serious martial art.

That show had some good stuff, but it had so much rubbish that it didn't do the martial arts world any favours.