Lifeline Muay Thai trainer-alternatives?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SoKKlab, Nov 29, 2003.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I bought a Pro version of the Lifeline Muay Thai trainer about Five Months ago. I've only used it one to two times per week to supplement my other training.

Yesterday the thing broke, one of the arm cables snapped away from it's housing at the wrist. A basic design fault on this piece of equipment is that the plastic housings cut into the Cabling at the stress points. The inevitable happens, the cabling gets rubbed away and then snaps.

I am well peeved. I paid a fair wedge for this piece of kit and expect it to last longer than a few months, particularly as I haven't used it that much.

My questions are:
    1) Has this happened to anybody else or do I just have a badly made example of the MT Trainer?

And 2) Does anybody know of any alternative similar products to the Lifeline MT Trainer, that is better made (as I think that it is a decent idea but badly realised) ?

If you are considering purchasing a Lifeline Muay Thai trainer (Also sold as a Wing Chun trainer-IME- Don't as they are shoddily made). I will be contacting the Manufacturers this week to get either a replacement or a refund.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

2. Shade

Shade New Member

As you say a design fault, which means that you would expect other users to have experienced exactly the same thing as you.

Sounds to me like you should just get a refund and forget about a replacement.

3. SoKKlab

I shall be pursuing a refund and reviewing the thing on my Website, but before I do that I want to be sure of my facts.

I don't want to write a review of something and say it's rubbish,
    if I just had a faulty one and most peoples experiences with said item are different to mine. I'd rather have a consensus of informed opinion on the subject.

So if anybody has any opinions on this piece of kit, please speak up. Also, I'm still searching about for a similar item (ala The MT trainer), that does the same thing, but has better construction.

I like the cable training aspect, full range of motion and all that.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Did you buy the thing with a credit card? If so don't forget to mention Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 - if you get no satisfaction from the supplier you can hold your credit card company liable and get a refund from them.

5. SoKKlab

Unfortunately not. I cut my credit cards up ages ago, as I kept buying too many Martial Arts books with them....LOL.

I paid by cheque. I'll see what Lifeline says regarding a refund and report back.

They may well state that the thing is only guaranteed for X amount of months (I'm trying to find the literature as we speak to check the guarantee) and that I don't have a leg to stand on.

We shall see.

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Do you have a link so I can see this thing?

7. SoKKlab

The UK Lifeline website is still just an entry page.

On the USA site, the product is in the Specials section, as Power Sports Trainer.
    http://www.lifeline-usa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=4

Just over half way down the page, The Power Sports Trainer.
    It is Marketed as The Muay Thai trainer in the UK and Europe.

I have the Heavy Resistance version-Green Cabling.