lets talk about religious fundy wackaloons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Children worked in those factories too, if they could do it I'm sure women could. And that still doesn't explain why biblically women are treated as property (and many churches still make them inferior) while men are not.

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Have read estimates that in pre-columbus North America, many tribes spent an average of two hours a day meeting needs(food, water, shelter). The rest was "free time". Practice shooting, sit around, do some religious ceremonies. That doesn't sound too awfully hard to me.

3. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

The Industrial Revolution changed all that. The move towards mass production created brutal working conditions. It was the dark side of capitalism. Today that kind of worker explotation is no longer allowed.

4. cuongnhugirl

I didn't say women were incapable of doing it but since men are the stronger gender it was them who were expected to. What churches are you refering to btw?

5. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

The ones that don't let them talk in church, or teach men.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Never mind churches. You said life was harder "back then". It wasn't, it was different, that's all.

You need a reality check.

Get some dependants, a mortgage, a car, a 6o hour week job (or a part time job that doesn't pay the bills), travel on top of that and then maybe we can continue this foolish discussion.

If you want to get back to the church argument. Life isn't black and white.

Your pastor may tell you to follow a certain path and all will be rosy, but the reality is often very different.

7. cuongnhugirl

Yeah different alright. There was no 40 hour workweek, no overtime pay, no safety regulations, no mininum wage laws. Work was not only harder but much more dangerous in those days. Why do you think labor unions were formed and laws to protect the worker passed? Do some research.
    I don't know the law where you are butin America if you work more than 40 hours in a week every hour over 40 is time and a half overtime pay.
    And im not an idiot thank you. I know life isn't black and white.

8. Grass hopper

The Catholic church is one example.

9. Simon

It's not really that different here. We still have both man and woman working to make ends meet.

Who called you an idiot? Certainly not me.

You write like you still live at home (which is fine by the way) and have things provided for you.

Unless you have a privileged life you are in for a rude awakening.

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

To put it simply this is wrong. I work in IT and it is classified as an exempt position. That means I am salaried, my hours can be any number but for me are usually around 50, and I don't get paid any overtime.

You really need some more experience before you present your opinions as facts.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That carries over into sooooooo much

12. Simon

It's why I don't discuss the ladies. :(

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

No, today we outsource it.

14. Grass hopper

Same here :)

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It happens in other parts of the world instead. Check out the working conditions in China, Malaysia, pretty much anywhere outside of Europe and America. Children work long hours in horrific conditions with little to no concern for safety because labour is cheap. You could reverse that sentence and it would still be true.

But before we get carried away into thinking about a pre-industrial rustic idyll, let's look at a more recent rural past.

I stand to be corrected on this but a recent interview I listened to talked about farmworkers in early C20th England literally dropping dead in the fields. Men from rural areas coming home on leave from WWI a stone heavier than when they went because they got a decent diet for the first time in their life.

Heck, let's even go down the route of anecdote whilst we're at it and talk about the factories I've worked in where you could tell how long someone had worked there by how many finger joints they had missing or if they had a mangled limb or not.

Mitch

16. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

My grandfather lost fingers because in those days, factory output was more important than making sure that fingers didn't get caught in a press. And uncle of mine worked as a metal smelter and suffered severe cadmium poisoning, like all his colleagues. He is one of the very few having proof of this (via blood testing) because he travelled more than a hundred miles in order to find a doctor and a lab who could be trusted not to tamper with the results. Where he lived, no doctors would test for heavy metals because doctors got special benefits and didn't want to rock the boat. He got terminal bone cancer but somehow made a miraculous recovery (as in, the doctor give him n weeks to live, and in 2*n weeks he still lived and all traces of cancer had gone)

Anyway, just a couple of weeks ago I saw a documentary on industrial development in India. I saw people standing up to their waist in chemical vats, carrying concentrated Chromium solution with a yoke, in buckets. It would be hilarious if not the the humans involved.

Their legs were covered in quickly growing tumors, but noone thought that was unreasonable. And that is just one example of the various things they showed. Today, we don't have those working conditions anymore. We're just outsourcing them to places where we don't care about the human cost.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  17. cuongnhugirl

Are you in management? Where i work managers are on salary. I'm only part time but yeah i do work.

18. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Hey. No need to fight, I think you're both correct.

A lot of these andersons of the world dont take into account that physical strength does matter less these days because we have machines. And then there is Simon's answer which makes work just as hard in other ways. So technically your both right.

Then of course there's the idiot creator of the walking dead who was sexist (who i posted on my fb for those who can see it) where he said there's less women hunters because men are stronger, What a thunderdouche. he's ignoring all the evidence of human and non human species who hunt and some are actually smaller and weaker than the stuff they hunt. since when does strength matter in hunting?

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Traditionally quite a lot, (bows, spears and rocks then dragging the carcass home over miles) hence the societal carry over that stays with us. It is changing though, with the advent of firearms primarily. He didn't just mention hunting though so why use that as riposte?

The article was sloppy hack journalism - no link to the original article for reference at all. In fact look at the main females... Andrea? Best shot and sacrificed herself for peace. Maggie? Crack shot? Michone? All round badass? Carol? Survivor of abuse, death of her child and looking at the apocalypse as no challenge compared to either

The only one who was weak and irritating was Lori - and there were plenty of other male lunatics to offset her. So if anything it is a speculation on society reducing us back to primal type and how adjustments from today's society will affect that.

Nothing worse than agenda driven slop articles that don't even pay attention to the material

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I'm a computer programmer, lots of technical people are salaried.