Leigh Childs Taekwon Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Bootneck6, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bootneck6

Bootneck6 Valued Member

There is a new Leigh Childs school opening in my area. Does anyone know of his organisation or even trained under him? Is his TKD instruction good quality?

2. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

Didn't know he still ran schools, or was even in the country! Unless you're in the US? He was Swindon based and made/makes an awful lot of money from it. Good business man, and apparently good at TKD. How good that makes his instruction I don't know though I'm afraid.

3. Bootneck6

Bootneck6 Valued Member

Well it's actually a 'Success MA' school which I have been told is related to Leigh Childs empire in some way.

4. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Leigh Childs is a very successful businessman and also a very good Tae Kwon Do exponent. His style is based in ITF TKD and he's won the British championships a couple of times. His technique is excellent.

That said, his website does look McDojo-ish...

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think Leigh Child's was the man responsible for introducing the idea of the "Black belt super duper school of excellence Academy" from the states.
    So we can "thank" him for that. :confused:

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

He was on the "Break through to black belt and beyond" DVD and he was pretty sharp in both sparring and patterns. Though the scene where he works out in nothing but a pair of bright pink shorts is kind of disturbing...

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If he's copied my outfit I'll sue.

Mitch

9. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I take it you had your eyes shut them... until the end! :woo:

PASMith is 100% correct... "I'm a Black belt school" is his doing!

Enter at your own risk and risk of being called "SUCKA".. and Im holding back big time there!

Stuart

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You sexual ambiguity scares me :confused: :eek:

11. 2sweet

2sweet Valued Member

All I know on the guy is that he came 2nd in the world championships in 1991 to Dave Shepherd I think, and apeared as a contestent on the BBC 2's masters of combat a few years back.

Checked out the link on this thread and yes we have one of these schools in my home town. If you have a large wallet then feel free, but I personally wouldn't touch it with or without a barge pole!!!

12. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I was trying to be diplomatic (and not get taken to court!). Good work with your blunt honesty though guys!

13. Dragon2020

Dragon2020 TTTINT

I'm quite impressed actually........ Impressed just how cheesy the site is lol... Come to our school and we will turn you into..... A SUPERHERO!!!!... free spandex costume when you join... to help you become "A Fearless Leader" lol

14. tkdhkddave

tkdhkddave Valued Member

Be careful

Personally I would avoid.
    Didn't think he was in the UK much anymore anyway. He was my first TKD instructor getting on for nearly 20yrs ago now when he just started out teaching, took me from white to green belt, He was and still probably is very good indeed and style wise was ITF but no sine wave. Basically could be good at most things he applied himself to he just was one of those types.

I didn't know much back then as all I had prior to tkd was a few yrs shotokan but what made me leave was that fact that as good as he was business came first to ma which I guess is fair enough when it's also your livelyhood but I decided there and then that wasn't for me. Not long after I heard standards had slipped hugely, 7rd old bb's bb in 2yrs, and all the usual MCDojo stuff but who's to say? I didn't care as I joined the TAGB soon after then went with my instructors when they went p.u.m.a (for the record they also taught Leigh TKD white-black apparantly) I don't do TKD now, not at least at any club.

There are a few clubs in my area that belong/started by him by some of his pupils and lets just say when I looked I was less than impressed. My advice go find a good boxing/Judo/MT/kickboxing/BJJ club!