Leaving the Bujinkan

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kikaku, Apr 27, 2006.

1. bencole

bencole Valued Member

You've never seen anyone actually try to hit a Shidoshi / Shihan before?

I merely put the link so Mr. Virus could identify the 60 year old man who weighs in at 40 kilos....

My questions still stand:

1) Does Mr. Virus actually think that he could HIT that little old man through his alive training methods?

2) Has Mr. Virus ever trained with Ed Lomax?

-ben

2. KipPeR

KipPeR New Member

What does it matter if people claim they train with "alive methods"?

This is starting to sound a little like someone's trying to spoil the pot for people who are sticking with their training, and trusting their instructors that "it" will come with time and practice.

Anything[ is as alive as you make it.

Just out of curiosity ...since you won't name names ...can you tell us what grade/experience your instructor had?

read between the lines ...the inference seems to be that anyone who has trained with Noguchi sensei would see that what is in the clip is instructional ...not any reference to his actual ability.

Doh!

3. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6569476244768346278&q=bnyd&pl=true

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2520896655778954804&q=bnyd&pl=true

Be careful not to critique these videos in a constructive manner, you'll get told off for being an "armchair quarterback" :confused:

4. Virus909

Virus909 Valued Member

I've trained at an Ed Lomax seminar.

I don't know if I could hit him. What relevance is the question?

5. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

I understand...but you also should accept that a white belt, low rank etc...should make no attempt to rebalance at first only so that can get the feeling of what it is to be OFF balance. Also, as you get better, you should be completing your techniques at a speed where your uke doesn't have a chance to rebalance. In our basics class, we train using our taijutsu against things like haymakers and jabs, knees, elbows, feints and pulled punches...is this not a standard in the bujinkan??

6. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

so basically the bujinkan is crap because we don't try to force techniques on uncomplient uke's?

there are 'no' techniques for one thing, and for another if whatever you are attempting is so easily countered, i think it needs more practice. the bujinkan is 'gently gently catchy monkey'

no wonder your teacher has no students dude.

7. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

8. bomb_disneyland

bomb_disneyland New Member

sound track is wicked though.. and that bandana.. not everyone can carry them off you know

9. KipPeR

KipPeR New Member

According to the text accompanying the second video: "This video was taken from a 2003 demonstration at the Yonkers Public Library." ...which is backed up by the sounds of children in the background.

Hardly a good scenario for an irresponsible display of devastation. Seems like an ideal speed to display some Taijustu clearly, without too much realism clouding things.

10. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

11. hatsie

:bang:

i would say using 'better timing' rather than speed rt. speed is usually a result of poor distance, timing, flow, balance or direction.

at the top level there is NOTHING to resist, that is what people who have not trained with anyone good/ been to japan don't understand.

if it was all about grunt, why don't we all get on the roids and no one will be resisting anything.

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Curse your logical riposte! It's easy to be an armchair quarterback though isn't it?

FTR, I'm more concerned about the class training video than the demo.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm with you on this, I'm getting a little bit fed up with people posting clips of instructional and demonstration exercises and using them as an excuse to leap around and claim that taijutsu doesn't work. I have seen people try to resist, outmanouver, overpower and just plain smack my teacher about and it never works. He always has a counter attack that is effective. In many cases to those of us watching it looks like he's doing nothing more than moving slightly, however, if you're unlucky enough to be the one being demonstrated on it blinking well hurts and you have no choice but to go where he puts you !

14. Nick Mandilas

Yes agreed. Thinking on it...timing is probably what I should have said, because if you time it right, it comes across feeling slick and fast...I wouldn't completely discredit speed either though. There's been times on the mat with my friend that I've had to get in as many blows as I can before he found an opening. But yes, timing is more important than speed.
    Cheers
    Nick

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

But the point is is that ALL clips of Ninjutsu look like that. Whether they're in a library or done in front of kids or whatever. I've never seen one with any resistance in or a really committed attack.
    Those clips show what the first ten minutes of training with someone like Matt Thornton is like.
    This Virus guy is after clips of the training that happens after this stage.
    If such clips don't exist then just say so. "We don't film that as we like to keep it secret".

16. hatsie

no worries, it's getting late.

i'll leave you gents to fend off the wolves led by the turncoat.

good evening gentlmen.

ps. ok the game is up, to my knowledge no videos exist of bujinkanners prancing around with helmets n' gloves , hugging and squeezing, hitting or trying to hit obviously inappropriate targets with very ineffective strikes. as per the first 'alive' clip. :bang:

we just don't get it eh?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  17. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

[​IMG]

If you try and "smack your teacher about" like this, and then stand still for him to play around with you, I'm not surprised it never works.

18. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

:eek: Someone send the Ninjitsu Secret Police after the "turncoat", before he reveals all the secrets of the cult...

19. Nick Mandilas

well, it's almost midnight here and I can't see where this discussion could go now without becoming redundant...so I will say good night.
    For those who love the booj! don't let it stress you. Do what you want and keep training.
    For those that hate it. Too bad, so sad, bye bye
    For those who don't know or care but just want to start trouble...STFU
    Cheers
    Nick

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

No the 'smacking' is followed by other attempts to escape the counter attacks, there is no standing still.