Learning self taught martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by oooride, Jun 14, 2003.

1. oooride

oooride New Member

I'm very interested in learning martial arts but I do not currently have enough finances to pay for a formal instruction. Is it possible to teach myself and learn martial arts by a book or is it ridiculously unlikely ?

If unlikely, what is the worst aspect(s) of self taught martial arts ? Learning bad and/or wrong habits ?

If it is possible, can anyone recommend any book(s) by a quality author/ sensei ?

Thanks for any responses/comments in advance.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - it's ridiculously unlikely.

Try your local Judo or Boxing club - both a usually very reasonably priced.

Failing that - wait until Sepetember - give me somewhere to sleep for 6 nights & I'll teach you for free :D

*Blatant hotel cost saving move by YODA LOL!

3. oooride

oooride New Member

Yoda,

lol :)

What's a good form of martial arts to start learning ? Judo ? I 'see' a lot of 'branches' of martial arts mentioned throughout the forums, however I have not seen any pertaining to kung-fu and it's different styles.

There are beginner levels in kung-fu, correct ? Meaning, is it possible to learn kung-fu without knowing any other 'form' of martial arts ? Reason being, I have a place near me that teaches kung-fu with an emphasis on the style crane (I believe that's it, sound right ?) and have thought about inquiring it's monthly fees. It would be good because they also have a full gym. Since I lift weights a lot I would have to give up one membership but I cannot give up lifting (huge stress reliever and many health benefits), would learning kung-fu be a prudent choice ? Or is there another 'branch' of martial arts that should be started on from a beginner point of view ?

I've also heard people in general 'talk' (haven't read here) about how lifting weights and gaining muscle mass will slow a person's fighting 'speed'. Now that is only obvious (at least from a boxing point of view), which is viewed through the 'quickness' of the weight classes in boxing; however, that little bit of 'speed' from the lighter boxers (in my opinion) does nothing positive. What's the point in gaining a little bit of 'speed' with the sacrifice of a lot of power ? Then again that statement is contradictory because look at the 'speed' and power behind Tyson (what it used to be). Anyone have any comments complementory and/or contradictory comments on this subject ?

Anyone heard any latest research on the progress of genetic researchers unlocking type III super-fast twich muscles fibres (viewed in cats) and 'unlocking'/ stimulating them in humans ?

thanks for all comments in advance

4. YODA

B0ll0x

Forget the psuedo scientific mumbo jumbo - find a good combative athletic gym and TRAIN.

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Sounds like messing with something you shouldn't be to me. If you want to be fast, train hard. There's no easy way around it, good results only come through hard work and decidication.

As for the muscle slows you down theory, as Yoda said, its a load of crap. You seen professional althetes on TV? They have muscle, and they're FAST!

As for the beginner levels in different martial arts, even the higest ranking black belt had to start as a beginner at one point. Everyone has to start somewhere without any previous knowledge.

6. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I'd say it is possible... Not likely but possible.

You would need several training partners and probably end up spending more on instructional material then you would have joining a school though...

"Muscles slow you down" basically should be translated as "I'm too lazy to lift weights and don't want to admit it."

Find ANY sport in which top level athletes don't do some form of weight training.

7. YODA

Ah yes Andrew but ....

*Tongue in cheek mode

That's just SPORT. You see, REAL martial arts doesn't need strength and can enable frail little old men to defeat a gang of linebackers without breaking a sweat.

:rolleyes:

8. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

i'm a beginner and i started with kung fu i don't think it really matters which style you learn first as it will be a similar process just focusing on different areas