Lead hand raise?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by AsSaSiN, Aug 7, 2003.

1. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

cough, cough, **********, cough, cough...

But then again, he was speaking very specifically of a "snapping" roundhouse kick with a chambered knee. He very clearly stated that.

So what does that article have to do with Muay Thai?

Khun Kao

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

ROFLMAO!

4. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

See how many people think they actually know something?

I don't care about his qualifications and where he is teaching or about any of his mathmatical equations he came up with to try and support his ' lies/facts '.

His method does not apply to Muey Thia. And to some other arts as well.

Its interesting to read. Thats all it is.

5. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Aha, but thing is, a lot of the videos i have seen of thai boxer, even good ones (Matt Skelton, Peter Aerts, Alexy Ignashov) and some programs on discovery chanel, in fights a lot the fighters dont drop the hand, but keep it in normal guard position. Infact, their upper body moves very little at all. I find it hard to kick powerfully withought using my upper body for levarage, but people like hoost can do it without any problem, suppose years of training can just gets you used to it.

6. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

And one more thing, whats with the hostile attitudes? I just posted a link that i thought was unusual, hence the sarcastic "Lead hand raise?" title. I'm still new to MT, but you guys do an excellent job of making me feel like i know jack

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  7. stump

stump Supersub

<<<Most martial artists think this (roundhouse) is one of their weakest kicks >>>

Eh? What planet are you from mate???

I think the guy should step outside his own bubble before making the claims he does.

btw before I get misinterpreted I don't mean you assassin. It's a good article in the sense that it gets you thinking. However it goes against what other people have shown me .....really good kickers have shown me.

I'm all in favour of scepticism in the face of grandoise claims....it's a way of preventing rubbish and myth becoming accepted

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  8. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

"And one more thing, whats with the hostile attitudes?"

We're just having a little fun with you. What the guy posted on that website may very well apply to the style of kicking that he is speaking of, but does not really apply to Muay Thai.

The reason this does not apply to Muay Thai is because the "Swing Arm" in Muay Thai, if used PROPERLY, does not take anything away from a boxers power, momentum, or defense.

1. The arm should not DROP. Fighters who "drop" their arm are being lazy and sloppy. I shouldn't talk, I do it too. So I fall into the lazy/sloppy crowd. LOL

2. The "Swing Arm" has a variety of uses. It can be extended to grab or "blind" your opponent, sweep his guard aside, or can be left in a "cocked" position to strike as a follow up to your kick.

3. The reason that what the Dr. is saying does not apply to Muay Thai is because when executed properly, the ARM may move separately from the kick, but the SHOULDER does not!!!! The power of the Muay Thai roundhouse is generated by the rotation of the boxers body, specifically the HIPS. But, for the hips to rotate and generate power properly, the FEET, HIPS, and SHOULDERS all move in the same directly at the same time.

Khun Kao

9. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Thanks for rectifying that khun kao, i took it a bit to personal. my instructor says that my kicks r my strength, so i use them as much as i can. I do usually pull my arm back, but i have noticed something. Ok say if u stand left foot forward. Ideally, for a rear legged roundhouse, the right hand should pull back (the main focus of this thread lol) and the left hand should come directly to cover your face, across it. i have noticed just before executing the kick, my lefthand goes out, as if it is grabbing the air, then pulls across my face. So as opposed to going directly from guard to across face, my left arm goes from guard position, out to the left of my body, then across my face. Anyone else noticed this? its natural, everybody seems to do it without noticing but i picked up on it when i was shadowboxing.

10. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

It is a natural motion. That is what makes the Muay Thai kicking technique so effective. You use the body's natural motions to generate speed and power, and to maintain balance.

However, you need to have your coach check out what you are doing to make sure that you aren't telegraphing what you do or leaving yourself unnecessarily open for counter attacks.

If you extend your arm out before you kick, your opponent (or his cornermen) will begin to pick up on that as one of your "tells", announcing when you are throwing a kick. Your opponent will then stop needing to watch for your kick, but rather watch for you arm motion, making it easier for him to step in and counter you.

Or, if you are extending your arm too far, he can counter to your exposed area (your head) before you've gotten the kick really under way.

Khun Kao

11. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

ah, i ever thought of it like that. i will have it lookd at, thanks :)