Lau Gar Video Thread

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Banditshaw, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Obviously not.

2. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Lau Gar videos!

Here is a video clip of Lau Gar Luk Hap Kuen (right) and Bac Pye Jurn (Left) being demonstrated yesterday at the BKFA National Championships by the Lau Gar demonstration team. I have a clip of some weapon forms as well which I will upload to youtube soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnuKNIMmImk"]YouTube[/ame]

There was Master Yau's son doing Fai Long Gee (sp?) at the same time but I could only get two of them in the frame.

3. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Great stuff, I'll watch it when I get home this evening

4. laugarfist

Clive Thompson doing a spear form. Not sure if it was a Lau Gar one but will find out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbh2PtWum7o"]YouTube[/ame]

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Nice stuff there LGF! Was good to see the Lau Gar LHK done there,it's driving me mad at the moment.Were those 2 from your club?

6. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Cool! finally some reasonable footage of BKFA forms. I must say that compared to us LGLHK looks almost identical, but BPJ seems to have morphed some moves from how we do it. especially the stomping movements at abut 20secs - we remain staic for those arm movements and near the end (32secs in) where the blocks are really low, ours (and other clubs i've seen) are high blocks, similar to the start.

7. laugarfist

I wish. No, those are two of the Lau Gar Demonstraion team.

8. laugarfist

If anyone wants better I am open to donations towards a better camcorder :D

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm saying nothing about the background music :D

10. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

There's music? I think i blocked that out - normally wise I find.

So LGF : Any idea why the differences are there? Since both our club and the OSA split years ago from them, and both do the end blocks high, I think it's reasonable to assume that the blocks were changed after we left... any thoughts as to why Master Yau Adapted it that way?

11. laugarfist

No idea. Doesn't look low to me but then I've always done it that way. Do you have a clip of how you do it so that I can compare?

12. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Compare it to this one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zJgvtsv9lc"]YouTube[/ame]

The blocks after the last kick (3:25 secs in) are definatley covering the body. Where as in the BKFA one (0.32secs in), they are much lower.

13. laugarfist

Still no idea. When did your club split off?

14. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Kevin Brewerton split in 1987 I think, no idea about the OSA guys.

I see from your website that you've been training 10 years? That might explain it.

15. laugarfist

My bad. That wasn't master Yau's son at all. I got confused :confused:

16. laugarfist

I started in 1994 and am assured that Bak Pai Jurn has always been performed that way. Even my first Sifu used to perform it like this and he split off from the BKFA in the 80's.

Perhaps someone else has changed it ;)

17. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

It could be a north/south thing? Kevin was trained by Neville Wray, as was humphrey broome. And I'm pretty sure (though it's been awhile since I've seen Humphrey's lot perform it) they all did it with the blocks high at the end.

18. Adinho

Adinho New Member

Well this is my first post and a controversial one at that but here goes when I trained with humphrey back in the day it has always been low block in BPJ but since he left the bkfa I am not to sure what he does now I havent trained in lau gar for a long time. There is no lau gar in brazil pity but soon I might be out of here whoppie

19. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Can I ask when "back in the day" was for you? Might shed some light if we have a timeline.

It's all anecodotal anyway, but it is interesting.

20. Adinho

Adinho New Member

from 1979 to 1992