Lau Gar Syllabus

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Phantom Power, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Hi,
    I was wondering about the "typical" Lau Gar syllabus and how it differs from "typical" TKD or Karate (granted a very vague statement). What I mean to say is, from what I can tell, at least in the early days you get taught the standard issue kicks, punches, blocks that are similar amongst striking arts & club sparring is the similar "kickboxing" seen across TKD and various Karate styles (again a very general statement).

Does Lau Gar include any joint locks or throws/takedowns, if so at what level? Also I understand there are weapons forms, at what level are these typicaly taught and are they included in any form of sparring or solely a set form (ie kata).

Some basic questions I suppose, but searching on Lau Gar brings up more politcal, erm "debate" than technical discussion. Thanks for any info.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ooh ,you're a brave one aren't you! :p
    Lau gar syllabus begins as you say with basic kicks/hand and kick blocks and walks with kicks, that as you say are similar in the striking arts.In the later hand/kick blocks there are "throws" involved as there are in knife defences. I'm only an orange sash so no doubt some of the more experienced practitioners will be able to help out with weapon forms etc.

3. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

The throw and take downs will depend on your instructor as he might show some extra bits outside from the syllabus but are within the forms but take downs and locks are really not part of the syllabus until you do knife defence as (su lin said)this is for your purple sash. (3years ish)

There are some levels of chin na in your forms but you would have to search for them as they are hidden. ie the twisting the wrist can be used as a lock or take down depending on your mind extension and the simple ready stance can be used as a sweep as well as releasing moves/strikes.

to take your black there is a two man form with sticks as for being a free spirit with a weapon you would have to asked one of the guardens.

The fighting is done without pads and you can use any technique but use common sence if you are going to poke sombody in the eye or kick them in the nuts. It is very hard as you have to fight for two minutes non stop and i mean none stop

you will do the sword set for your second degree and the higher you go there are more weapons forms to learn be it 2man as well as solo check that link out http://www.laugar-kungfu.com/weapons_of_lau_gar_kung_fu.htm

What i have found about some tkd gradings there seem to be a mass of people taking a grade and in my experience lau gar grading are done less on mass. but dont quote me

check out this link http://www.stafford-lau-gar.co.uk/association/syllabus.html

for the syllabus it is quite informative for what you have to learn

4. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

You cant tell how it differes unless you see the arts. Its a bit like saying what are the differences between the gears on my car compared to the gears on your car. They do the same thing, but have been put together differently. Much the same as Martial Arts.

Most if not all striking arts have a very similar base, front, turn, side kick. Jab, cross etc. After the first few grades are put together then they start going off in different directions. Its a kind of you'll know it when you do it thing! Try watching the higher grades in your club, then go watch a different style and you'lll see how they differ!

5. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I've been planning to return to MA after a long long break and Aikido has been at the top of my list, however I noticed that the same building has Lau Gar classes on more suitable nights & wished to know more. The use of weapons earlier in the syllabus keeps Aikido ahead in my interests, but I'll probably check out both clubs.

6. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

it depends what you want feom them! They're very different arts!

7. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

Personally I've found that the difference is not in what is taught (aside from the weapons being different, animal work, chin na, chi sau and a few other things), but the ways in which the stances and technique execution differs. In my club for example, we don't initially twist the shoulders or hips during practice of chi choi/straight punch, learning to generate significant power through the arm alone, incorporating the hip and shoulder movement as a way to generate more power later on (freeing up the mind from thinking that the hips have to be twisted, which is sometimes inefficient if you need to deliver the punch quicker than normal).

In Lau Gar there is tin tak for front kick. In Karate they have several different geris for the varying front kicks (to the knee, groin, stomach, head, etc). Also, it's been my observation that Karate and TKD are a lot more rigid and less flowing in comparison to, at least, Lau Gar. This doesn't in any way make either better than the other, it's just that Karate and TKD's strikes are much more pronounced than Lau Gar's, which rely less on external force as you get higher up, and begin to draw on internal power (at least in my experience anyway...).

I'm going to be learning how to defend myself against a long staff while I'm unarmed. Should prove to be interesting...

8. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Take your crash helmet.................

9. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

It's done with some pads on, I'm not suicidal :D