Last Woman Standing TV Show- Pekiti Tirsia Kali

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by nasigoreng, Sep 2, 2011.

1. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqR6-ADwmw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqR6-ADwmw[/ame]

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

oh i like!

3. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

Judging by the grin on Tuhon Rommel's face, I think he liked it too :) I am jealous. :banana:

4. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

I don't know, maybe it's just me here (although I've spoken to fellow FMA'ers regarding the same topic) but shows like these (there were a couple others, I believe by the same producers) tend to discredit, misrepresent and belittle martial arts in general and this one, filipino martial arts in particular.

What's next Lara Croft outfits?

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The quality of FMA in the show may not be what you know FMA to be. You have to remember that this is a game show and it has to be portrayed as such and it has to also be entertaining. But on the positive side is makes the public aware that FMA exists and that's a good thing. People realise there is more than just JMA and CMA.

6. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Curriculum & Culture

Post production we can't really do too much with how these producers or filmmakers will portray us, Pat. I can appreciate what the end game is for these shows, ratings, entertainment, etc. But here are the issues I'd like to take apart.

I think we can better control how we present ourselves to the world. Do we perpetuate the notion that we're death dealers, fanatics, disciple-like? Dogeaters, cannibals, etc.? Basically backward type folks as compared to the more sophisticated Japanese or Chinese martial artists (at least as viewed in general by the world)?

Or do we take our representation seriously in the world stage and show that FMAers are in fact sophisticated both in tradition and practice. There is so much more to FMA than these conditioning exercises like the wheelbarrow, ground crawl or stick to water hitting. So much more.

Most FMA schools don't bother too much with conditioning and strengthening exercises, you're either taught them (and expected to do them on your own time) or it is just expected that you strengthen your body yourself prior, during training.

Forums like these are a great way to maybe come to a consensus regarding this subject:

1). I've trained in different FMA styles and not one have I been told to do wheelbarrow, crawl or hit water. In the Philippines, when you're doing conditioning and strengthening exercises instead of training, a). your teacher is either keeping things from you or b). your teacher doesn't know FMA, so he/she fills the curriculum with BS, busy work. Let's show how sophisticated our curriculum really is.

2). The teacher/student relationship in FMA is what sets us apart from other martial traditions. It's a very informal relationship, although respect is there, there's a lot of laughter during training, the air is a lot lighter compared to other martial arts training.

The line between student and teacher in FMA is less rigid. I think this says a lot about Filipino culture. So, when I see the bootcamp/CMA/JMA rendering of FMA training in these shows, there's a little dissonance. I feel that the FMA and me, as a Filipino, are being misrepresented. Let's show people Filipino culture.

If, when, given the opportunity, let's do 1 and 2.

7. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

I am glad that it showed a bit of Philippine country life and also, glad that the chicken blood ceremony was left out this time around, although one of the girls mentions it.

8. Pat OMalley

I hear you on all points but maybe that's why the producers chose who they chose. And it give my guys a laughing point when new people ask about the chicken blood stuff ;)

9. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

I was conflicted about posting this video for reasons that posters have mentioned: basically, the producers are sensationalizing and (probably) engineering a lot of what is being passed off as traditional in this episode.

otoh, how often is FMA presented (in situ) on TV shows or in movies?

10. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

NO more Chicken Blood ceremonies!!! (Please.)

Sensationalizing, definitely the producers.

Engineering the "traditional" is sadly self-inflicted.

Not often, and I think FMAers are a lot to blame. I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of us agree on all points laid out. Let's implement and promise each other no more chicken blood ceremonies.

11. Pat OMalley

Oh ok and there was me going to dig out my best batman cape and add it to my syllabus ;)

12. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

No more chicken blood sacrifices! (what a load of crap) That should not be how the FMA are represented! I do not blame producers but instead the people who would be video taped doing it! Particularly when it does not play a part in their system.

Having said that take out the chicken sacrifice and the show was enjoyable to watch for it's entertainment value.

The Pekiti guy's that I know are tough as nails, train hard and are formidable. Unfortunatley they seem to not be represented on this particular show. The overall lacking in skill set shown by the female Pekiti practitioner's against the newbies in their full contact matches was........ well disturbing! Maybe they actually should have practiced sparring under those rules!

Now having said the above the show was entertaining and it was nice to see the ladies from the UK train and improve! They have heart and spirit to be on this show and taking on all it's challenges!

13. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Not to turn this into a Pekiti specific issue as I was more speaking generally regarding representation in FMA, but I agree Brian, and I was wondering why there's not more push for the better practitioners to play a more visible role, particularly people like Mr. Marcaida or Mr. Gelinas, or just better folks in general to represent Pekiti when doing these shows.

14. Pat OMalley

Does that mean I can't start wearing my batman cape and sacrifice the occasional fluffy bunny? Dam and I was sure that would up my student numbers rather than the usual quality training that can be offered. ;)

15. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Absolutely!

16. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Pat's Fluffy Bunny blood ritual

Ha! And maybe you can have newbies yell, "Bunny!!! Bunny!!!" as they get the "Carrie" re-inactment done on them:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoEHSJZ9G1g"]how to gut a rabbit - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nV_0oQDiRA"]Carrie by Brian De Palma (Carrie's Revenge) - YouTube[/ame]

17. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

I wouldn't be too hard on the teachers/practitioners. People have bills to pay, kids to put through school, etc...

I agree. The emphasis of the episode seemed to be the athletes pushing (or breaking) themselves in the conditioning with the result that
    1) they get injured so they can't train
    2) they don't work on skill and technique, so their competition looks terrible.

I imagine that female expertise, especially in a martial art like kali, must be at least as rare as it is in the Western countries.

18. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

I watched the episode.The match devolved into a petty catfight and both the winner and loser were crying.Very disappointing.