Las Vegas?? Anything good??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by phatfire, Aug 9, 2006.

1. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Well I am planning on moving to Las Vegas around Jan-Feb. So my question to you, What good schools are there in Las Vegas, Nevada?

This is what I am looking for: I want to study a style that flows, joint locks and throws are in the right area. Something like Aikido, Hapkido, Jujitsu, and the sort. If anyone knows of any good schools down in that are please let me know. :D ...I know the area pretty well. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you again..

2. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

you have lots of MMA options in LV

howver, IMHO the

best self-defense school in las vegas is:

www.contactcombatsystems.com

prof. d'onofrio is the real deal

your lucky

go check him out

3. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Thanks...from the address I know where its at. Lived in Vegas and all :D ....Yeah seen the site and when I do move down there I will check it out.

4. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

It's the capital of MMA in America. Cobra Kai, Las Vegas Combat club, and more. Can't go wrong with MMA there.

5. phatfire

phatfire New Member

This I do understand...but I want something with more tradition and spiritual things in it...but I want to focus on locks and throws..little fist to face is ok but i am a passive person. I want my knowledge not to destroy but to subdue the opponet. And thank you for your suggestions I will take them to heart.

Knowing that these schools focus on combat I guess I could turn what is taught into more for something for me and my beliefs.

6. phatfire

phatfire New Member

So are there no good Hapkido or JJJ schools in Vegas? Well I would like to hear some info on this subject.(not to sound un grateful for the previous suggestions)
    Just looking more towards those styles. Like the concept of Hapkido. so anything around that? Thanks to the people that help me on this one.

7. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

look
    thi is just my two cents
    but for SD.. especially if you are a passive person
    being able to channel aggresion is good
    you need someplace that will help make you more aggressive (for SD)
    not something relaxed if you really want the SD benefits
    while hapkido and "softer" arts can be great for really big guys
    for most people learning when and summoning the guts to smake some heads is key
    "add a little backbone to ya"
    about the most BS thing anyone can tell you
    and what you should not believe
    is htat if you are in a fight.. you'll be able to control it without having a fight
    learn to fight and win with agression..
    then learn controls
    you can use them.. with the security of knowing if you have to you can kick ass
    not leaving you on the street wondering why your wristlock did not work
    as your getting punched in the face from someone's full mount

8. phatfire

phatfire New Member

Thank you for your comments. I have really never thought of it in that way. Like i said I am a passive person. But the idea of learning a aggresive art is intriging. Consider Vegas to, not the safest places on earth. Traveling down certains roads at night are very unwise. But I do see where you are coming from. I will take it to heart and see what happens. Thank you again for your advise.

P.S. I do need a little more exercisse.. :D

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Desert Wind Aikido.
    http://www.desertwindmartialarts.com/index.html
    Haven't been there myself, but it's in the same organization as my dojo (Aikido Schools of Ueshiba). Some of their guys travel over here for seminars, and some of our guys travel over there for seminars.

Other martial arts are offered at the same place: hapkido, jj, and so on. It's on the website. If you don't like their aikido, maybe you'll like one of the other offerings.

10. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

i thought hawaii is the mecca of Martial Arts of USA?

anyway i'm from this place, las vegas, and i've tried train with 4-MMA dojo here in las vegas, and the one that i can recommend most that fits what your looking for is 'las vegas school of judo-jujitsu'
    http://lvsjj.tripod.com/
    their kids class is very cheesy, if there's plenty student on the adult class the instructor give a very good class.