kyokushin sparring question

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Jordan, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I'm not a practicioner of this style, but have sparred some what similar to this style. So PLEASE don't take offence when I ask, what's the point? what I've seen and took part in as far as this style of sparring goes, has been nothing but I hit you and you hit me and we'll see who falls down first. almost like the game guys play when you trade punches on the arm. there is no moving to avoid blows or blocks just hit and hope you don't fall down first.

PLEASE help me better understand this! :D

2. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Kyokushin's effectiveness lies in adominable spirit and physical toughness. But your statement is not entirely true. The fighters will try to deal as much punishment whilst taking as little as possible. Mostly this done by things like keeping your elbows in, turning into bodyshots, parrying punches, circling.
    If you still don't understand your local club will be happy to fight knockdown with you.

3. nzproud

nzproud Valued Member

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this particular sentence seems quite adversarial. The guy was asking an innocent question. This sentence reads like you're saying 'if you still don't understand we'll knock some sense in to you'

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

It's not meant as a threat, i appologise if it sounded that way. I was just pointing out that if anyone has doubts about Kyokushin that they should go along and spar.

edit: I just want to clear something up. Many people on the forum seem to think I study Kyokushin. I actually have only had a few of months experience in the style sometime in 2006. But because I gained so much respect for those guys and the style in that short time, that I often find myself defending it on here.

I just think that you can't put down a style which lives by the "ultimate truth" and is happy to test itself against anyone, anytime.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  6. disabledhero

disabledhero jab jab elbow jab knee

hey go and watch the kyokushin world cup on youtube it iss pretty awesome

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

As I understand it, the guy isn't saying "kyokushin dudes aren't tough" - he saying "they are tough, but is that all they are?" - i.e. does kyokushin sparring require nothing more than being able to take a lot of battering without falling over?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Fair play in that case, and it's good of you to own up to your personal experience levels and what not.

And of course it is fantastic to live by the ultimate truth, but only if said ultimate truth is your particular truth!

9. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeah I know, I answered that in my first post.

10. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

From experiance of training with kyokushin guys I'd say that their style requires to be able to dish out a battering as well ;)