Kwan Family Tree

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Spookey, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Dear All,

In a few other threads (which have the tendency to run off course)...there has been revived discussion of the kwans.

I thought I would start this thread to allow the individual posters to show the family tree that brought them to where they are today in the Taekwondo world!

For those of us that know our lineage, let us display it for the mutual sharing of information, for those that do not...let this be an opportunity to approach your instructor / master to gain more education of your own unique dojang history and lineage. Many people know the kwan their dojang originated from, but let's map it out!

TAE-KWON!
    Spookey

2. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I think this is a great idea! Unfortunately I don't really know my lineage! I learned up to black tag with one instructor, then had a break and returned to a different club where I'm hoping to get my BB!

I shall be seeing my instructor tomorrow, so will find out what I can then!

3. andyjeffries

andyjeffries Valued Member

My lineage is kind of two forked:

My original instructor is Grandmaster Pan Sim Woon. He was originally Oh Do Kwan from Malaysia, switched to Kukki-Taekwondo in the early 80s. I don't know who he got his black belt from. He joined the Chang Moo Kwan sometime since then. He currently considers Grandmaster Lee Chong Kwan his brother and Great Grandmaster Kim Soon Bae his senior. Grandmaster Pan graded me up to 1st Kup and my 1st Dan was at a BTCB Dan Grading.

My current instructor is Master Carl Lees. He's originally Chang Moo Kwan and was given his black belt by Grandmaster Hwang Chae Pok (who I believe was Grandmaster Lee Nam Suk's student).

4. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

i started TKD in the Caribbean with 3 instructors Kukki who learned from the same GM. i dont know that lineage.

in Korea my lineage is 2-forked as well. my first GM is Choe Sung-Kyu from Anjun-Ri, 8th degree and member of Kukkiwon council. i got busted back down to blue belt when i started with him, he wanted to fine-tune my forms which sucked and techniques, but mentioned sparring was excellent and that my Instructors taught me well. was able to get back up to 1st dan. i dont really know his lineage. I only know that he was Tang Soo Do before he switched to Kukki.

my current lineage is GM Kim from Dongducheon, he is Oh Do Kwan, did Tang Soo Do as a child an his family has been Instructing the U.S and Korean military for over 40 years. his younger cousin/student is president of the 2nd Infantry TKD association. I tested for 1st Dan in this form as well and did the TTT (train the trainer) certification for the TKD combatives that make up Kim family 2nd infantry TKD.

didnt get the time before i went back to the U.S to finish up my journal to trace GM's lineage back further. since his English is like whoooaaaa, gonna have to email one of his sons for help.

5. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Can you advise of the full name of GM Kim?

I am searching for a Kim, Bo Kyum (owned a taxi service in Seoul during the 70's). He would be in his early to mid seventies now.

He was a Sgt. Major in the RoK Army, and served as the Chief of the Taekwondo Instructors Group in Di-an, Vietnam around 1969-1970.

I know Kim is one of the most common Korean surnames but asking is always worth a shot!

Tae_Kwon!
    Spooks

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

GM Kim Sam Jang (A.K.A. Kim Jung Do)
    8th dan WTF Taekwondo, 7th dan WHF Hapkido
    Founder of Master Kim's Taekwondo schools in NY (based out of Rochester)
    08/06/69 - President (Concurrent) of Oh Do Kwan Namboo Main Branch Seoul and West Main Branch Kyeonggi-do (Appointed by President of Oh Do Kwan Headquarters Seoul, Korea)
    (05/25/69 - Founded (President) of Taekwondo Tongil Kwan Hannam-dong Seoul, Korea, 05/06/65 - President Taekwondo Kyeongdon Gymnasium Jeonlong-dong Seoul, Korea)
    See http://masterkims.com/Founder.htm

l
    l
    l
    V

Master Robert Gray, Master Philip Gray
    Gray's Taekwondo in Dekalb, NY and Potsdam, NY

l
    l
    l
    V

Me
    -I earned my 9th-1st geup under GM Sam Kim's organization
    -I earned my 1st dan from Master Jo Seung Choon of Yeong-In Taekwondo (KTA/KKW) in Nonsan, SK and 2nd dan from Master Oh Jeong Hwan of Seung-Li Taekwondo in Seosan, SK (KTA/KKW)
    -I earned my 3rd and 4th dan under Master Robert Gray (under the auspices of the Independent Taekwondo Association (ITA) and the Kukkiwon)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  7. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Sir what does the KTF stand for?
    thanks

8. french fri25

french fri25 Valued Member

I come from a Moo Duk Kwan lineage beginning with Hwang Kee -> Chong Soo Hong/ Ki Whang Kim -> Richard Chun -> Arthur Cohen/Thomas Festa -> John Mattheos -> ME

9. Thomas

Korea Taekwondo Association (KTA, not KTF) instead of WTF. Because I was a member in Korea (school and testing), my certificates are the Korean domestic issued ones - still Kukkiwon but through the KTA instead of WTF.

EDIT - On Kukkiwon certificates and cards, you usually see "World Taekwondo Federation" listed on them next to "Kukkiwon" - these are the ones issued for outside of Korea. On the domestic ones, they have "Korea Taekwondo Association" listed on the bottom, right next to "Kukkiwon". Mine are the KTA-Kukkiwon ones (1st and 2nd dan) becuase they were issued domestically (in SK).

I should have written KTA, not KTF though... my mistake. (I fixed the original post - thanks!)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  10. andyjeffries

andyjeffries Valued Member

Do you have certificates with KTF on them? I've never known it be called the KTF, always the KTA (originally Korea Taesoodo Association, then Taekwondo).

11. Thomas

Yup - my mistake (been a while since I looked at them) - my certificates (1st and 2nd dan) were issued through the KTA/Kukkiwon instead of the WTF/Kukkiwon. No real difference aside from place issed (Korea vs outside of Korea).

12. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

My lineage runs through Hong Sik Kim who was originally of the Moo Duk Kwan under Master Sung Park. There is a list floating around somewhere that has him as one of the ITF pioneers in the US (Kim).

13. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

As I understand it, there is not much or no real difference in Korean between federation & association.
    But when I saw KTF, I thought it was still yet another group ;)

14. Thomas

Yeah... usually if the Korean is "yeon maeng", it translates to federation and if it's "hyeop hoi" to association. I understand there are some difference as to what that entails, but not sure the exact differences aside from term! :)