Kung Fu vs Western Boxing

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by shizuilong, Jun 8, 2008.

1. hungkuen

hungkuen Valued Member

Perhaps, this Hung Gar guy wasn't trained properly. We've always been taught to put hips, legs, waist into our punches. You're definitely going forward with the straight punch, we call it ping cheui punch.

2. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

He showed good technique in his punching, which was one of the reasons why he was allowed to spar. Its a very common mistake amongst beginners to learn back, close their eyes, put their head down/twist their face so they aint looking at the oppenent, be out of punching range etc.

It generally comes down to not wanting to get smashed in the face. No one likes to take a hit, apart from the odd few who dont really care. That usually changes after a few 'get your defence up shots' :p

Or he may not have been trained properly ;)

3. crazedjustice88

crazedjustice88 Valued Member

But I like bare knuckle....hehe. Besides I like using the claw. I have in the past, when I was in Karate, I used kicks a lot though.

4. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

I think the "one hit magic" thing is more prominent in Karate and TKD, when practicing 3 step sparring you will only counter once, but in all likelihood that one punch may not floor a person or it may miss or not connect properly. If people only train in this way then in sparring they are only gonna throw one punch and assume their opponent is on the floor.

Other styles of non contact sparring, such as one step, can help people to think of combinations and follow ups. One of the drawbacks I have found in that is that you don't connect so in sparring people have a tendency to not connect either.

I am the same when it comes to follow ups, I always do the initial counter then I'm like ok what do I do now? lol :rolleyes:

5. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

The point I was trying to illustrate is that you don't box a boxer. Boxers who train well are fantastic at what they do because they're so specialized. I've only sparred against two boxers with any degree of experience and my main experience was that you don't play by their rules if you want to have any success. Use all your weapons, especially ones that are considered illegal (like backfists, elbows, and all kicks), and avoid trying to out punch someone who spends all their time punching. Play up the fact that most arts have better control over ranges and do your best to go from kicking straight into clinching/trapping, and go for trips or takedowns.

And has been said earlier, accept the fact you are probably going to take a few hits, but that's true for any fight.

6. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

Ah ok sorry I get your point. I have seen another K1 vid boxer vs TKD which doesn't end so nicely! ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klx92Bls08I&feature=related"]YouTube[/ame]

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

and for all those that dangle their hands around whilst doing olympic type TKD or similar sparring:

That's why you keep your hands up!!

8. GrandmasterAdam

GrandmasterAdam Valued Member

howdi! lol
    it all depends on the practitioner although i do think that learnin wing chun is far betta than doin boxing because its practical teaches u different strikes and defence techniques. Boxing is good for fitness but in u can only defend urself 2 a limit because it restricts it self 2 punching. As long as u r prepared 2 counter ur 8s jabs and such aand dont let him out manouver u im sure u will do fine.

9. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Your title of ''Grandmaster'' must not apply to your writing ability.:rolleyes:

Please try not to resort to using ''text'' speak. It will make you not sound az dumb.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Hahaha you've made 8 posts of absolute drivel. Congratulations.

11. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

I think you are underestimate boxing.

12. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Sorry, double post.

13. GrandmasterAdam

no not really because my instructor teaches kickboxing and said that you can only defend yourself to a limit thats why he does another class where you learn techniques from kung fu, karate etc so by that logic the same applies to boxing although i never sed it was rubbish but in the long run wing chun is more practical and effective if you put some dedication into it

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  14. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i mean, i wouldn't train in boxing and boxing only, but I think you can rely on boxing more when you're trying to put a hurting on your opponent. So yeah, i would agree you are underestimating boxing.

15. GrandmasterAdam

im sorry what do you mean 'rely on boxing more to put a hurting on your opponent'?what makes boxing better for hurting your opponent than wing chun?

16. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

well i guess i should say I rely on boxing more when i'm looking for the knockout. I use WC when I spar, but I've never seen anyone end a match, nor have i ended a match using "straight blasts." it's usually a good left hook or stiff right hand! I'll use WC to bridge the gap and control the centerline, but when i need to end it. it's always boxing.

17. GrandmasterAdam

maybe you should ask your instructor to teach you how to apply wing chun to sparring because im sure there are more strikes than ''straight blasts'' as you call them. Give them a kick to the groin...nah im joking

18. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

hah. they may not want to work with me again after that! :)
    I was just using the jik chung chuie as an example. bottom line is wing chun compliments boxing well and vice versa.

19. beknar

beknar Valued Member

their training methods, mostly.

20. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

think of it this way:
    boxer:
    trained to fight for long time
    good punching power(usually)
    excellent at dodging other punches
    can take being hit alot

wing chun:
    fight very close in( if hes a outside fighter this can pose a problem)
    usually good at blocking strikes to face
    good at takedowns from close in
    can use standing grappling pretty well.

ur best bet since u probley dont train full contact as boxers do
    is to go fo a takedown or submission, its one of the things he will most likes have the least abillity to counter or no what to do.