Kung Fu vs Western Boxing

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by shizuilong, Jun 8, 2008.

1. kungfudoctor

kungfudoctor Free Kung Fu for all

andcon84 this is just text be mindful as to not let it get you down.

peace

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Dude - you should meet my kung fu brother! He's still there, drinking!

3. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

If only we could hire the Celebrity Death Match people to "do" MAP, lol....

4. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Like someone said before. Never Box a Boxer.
    Try and disrupt the rhythm and kick the hell out of the inside of the legs. Do things in a unorthodox manner to dishevel the opponent. If that doesn't work get the hell out of there quick!:D

Or if your a wrestler, close the gap and try for the takedown.

I would love to see a Shuai Jiao guy against a Western Boxer.

5. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

Theres nothing wrong with boxing a boxer if your a better boxer.

(I'm just stating a fact, not suggesting anything about my personal ability).

6. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

He must have "Iron Liver" and "Glorious Bladder" skill.

7. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

It wasn't meant as a threat at all, just that slip knows his stuff. You said that evidence can be argued over and over, but there is no evidence of the wing chun assault working against a trained boxer. So nothing to argue it over with.

By saying that evidence can be argued over and over are you saying that it has no use and cannot be used to prove a point? If that were true the entire foundation on which law and science are based would crumble.

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Here's a computer simulation of what the OP's fight might actually look like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7wqjZgxgw"]YouTube[/ame]

9. Satsui_No_Hadou

Who is the boxer in this video?

10. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

The one holding the camera - of course! :)

I dunno - it's just the first boxing v wing chun vid that came up on youtube.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

There isn't one it doesn't look like. Looks like a wing chun guy and a guy who comes in with his head down, swinging for the fences.

12. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Where's the boxer's footwork? Where's the jab? Why can't he judge distance properly? What sort of boxer covers like that?

For the Chunner, where's the ground power? (yes I can tell just by looking) Why is he massaging the top of his scalp when he gets in to hit? He should land a punch, DRIVE IN, stepping forward driving in again and again. This can done light contact with a palm under the chin, hell we do it in gwoh sau. There are also numerous technical mistakes I don't have time to go over.

Actually to be honest with you, it looks like two McChunners one playing a boxer.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  13. shizuilong

shizuilong Valued Member

so we had the sparring session - i'm sure you've all be waiting with baited breath. just to answer a couple of questions that have come up....

it went pretty well, i found that my wing chun chain punches came in handy along with a few biu and bong saus. managed to pull off some basic trapping and kept him at bay with leg kicks etc.

it ended up 3 x 3min rounds and i was knackered by the end (due to my own fitness levels!) he's obviously more used to going the distance than i am.

we had an impartial mate adjudicate and the concensus was that i won. he landed a few good punches but i messed up his legs with the kicks and his movement and footwork was hindered quite alot so i was able to take advantage working him from the outside etc. we're going to do it again soon and video the results to put on youtube!

14. Satsui_No_Hadou

Did you video the sparring session?

15. jeff00

jeff00 New Member

16. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Good job! Keep it friendly and fun!

17. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Beknar's got it right. The two best reasons for cross-training are 1. to learn something and, 2. to have some fun. If you are just out to prove something you are wasting your time. I'm a WT/WC guy, but my FMA instructor has a solid boxing background. And he knows enough WC that I can't surprise him. When it comes to sparring...er, let me put it this way...I'm really glad he's my friend.

18. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

So martial arts actually can work? :confused:

19. Satsui_No_Hadou

What do you mean?

20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

no