Kung Fu vs Western Boxing

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by shizuilong, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

No arrogance intended, I thought we were sharing opinions.

My mistake

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

No worries. You are entitled to your opinion. I feel that you are mistaken in your previous statement and that it's a little bit arrogant. You are more than welcome to qualify your previous statement if you like.

3. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

It what way do think WC is more effective overall as a style?
    Kicks? Training Methods?

Just curious.

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

One HARD dig in the solar plexus from a boxer shall put things into perspective for you.
    I admire your attitude to crosstraining and wish you all the best.DO NOT box a boxer.

regards koyo

5. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

I have trained in boxing and wing chun, actually more so in boxing. Wing chun employs more tools and focuses heavily on the straight line concept. It's a very efficient style and emphasizes on using the least amount of energy to inflict the most damage. I've already faced some experienced boxers and I admit I've been beaten by a few. However I'm far from a wing chun master.

Also, I'm sure that a practitioner of any style can punch a solar plexus.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi ancom

My point was attempting to assert your art while taking incoming from a boxer should be considered VERY seriously.

regards koyo

7. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

To the OP, why do you and your mate need to prove which style is better? I seriously doubt it'll have any relevance beyond the two of you. If you win I doubt any heavyweight pro boxers will beat a path to your door to learn from you and if you lose there won't be many wing chun masters on their way to sign up at the local boxing gym. If the two of you can, why don't you treat this as a learning experience, you will both have knowledge the other lacks and it will give both of you chance to train with someone who does things differently.

If the two of you just need to prove who's tougher then why are you even mates?

8. kungfudoctor

kungfudoctor Free Kung Fu for all

ermmm im sorry but fighting has a huge amount of luck and skill involved , a wing chun person throwing a full on assault at a boxer is in my opinion the winner. but it really does depend on which person has the killer instinct!! i have no idea why people seem to think that a boxer would win everytime , thats just a stupid assumption maybe wing chun isnt the style with the most chance of winning as there is some very very effective styles of kung fu out there.

but basically to summerise

WHO CARES !!!!!!!

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

wow.
    Your post is a real gem. Your idea of some mythological 'full on wing chun assault' is comedy gold.
    If your summary is 'who cares' why have you even bothered to post? :confused:

10. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

True.

Out drinking with my kung fu brother one winter, we both simultaneously stepeed on to an iced up patch of the pavement, and we both just kept walking, nice and smooth. After a few yards my friend says to me, "if one of us would have fallen then..." And I said "I know..." lol.

There's "kung fu skill" in many things!

11. kungfudoctor

listen slip and listen good pal it was a rant get over it period

:p

sorry slip if my post offended you i really am

12. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

all I can tell you is when you go against this boxer keep your hands up, move your head, and DO NOT worry about trapping. the second you think "trap" you'll get hit. assuming he has some sort of skill. my friends and I box and practice WC. we mix it up as much as possible. our goal at the end of the day is to not have any specific style, and react using whatever is necessary at that exact moment. regardless of what style it is.

if you guys are sparring stand up only, start out in long range and control the fight from outside to inside, then quickly getting out again. (until you get comfortable) if you stay in boxing range, he just might eat your lunch. :cool:

have fun!

13. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

haha! i love it!

i like when i have, what i call. "jackie chan" moments. let me give you a scenario. I knocked a cheap book shelf we're working on over with my rump, i turn around catch all the stuff on it, and catch the shelf on my foot. I thought, "straight out of drunken master!" :p

14. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

Anyone who has accomplished something significant in the field of martial art should be taken seriously.

By the way "slip" theres nothing "mythological" about a wing chun assualt. perhaps there is a simpler reason that you find disbelief in such a happening...

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sure there is. Lots of talk of this sort of thing... very little evidence of it actually being put down. Zero evidence of it being used against a trained boxer.

Have you got any?

I doubt it. I really do. But if you have... by all means... please post it up.

It's fascination with descriptions... 'full on wing chun assault'.... sounds killer... it's a verbal massage... but beyond the words... where is the footage? Where is it actually getting layed on thick and heavy. Where is it actually being put down with those down to get down? Where is it moving beyond the theorizing and the glorification via nifty descriptions?

16. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

That's one hell of a drinking session - an entire SEASON!
    You have strong Booze-Fu FQ.

17. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

With a name like "slip the jab" I probably won't get to far trying to convince you of anything but your own opinion. Any "proof" given can easily be argued with again and again. You really have to witness it your self to believe it. I have a great respect for boxers and boxing alike, but a different viewpoint from some. Lets just agree to disagree.

18. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

Something there is plenty of evidence for - Never provoke Slip! :woo:

19. kungfudoctor

slip speaks his mind i like that. it is hard sometimes to know when someone is being serious via text or just on a wind up. i would like to offer my hand in friendship to him

my name is Lei by the way people in the uk know me as Jimmy im sorry for the bad spelling and grammer i havent been to school here only in china.

20. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

Are you threatening me on his behalf?

I don't see an emoticon for pretending to be frightened.