Kung-Fu question. . .

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Kenpo_Iz_Active, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

well, i've been kinda training on my one-inch punch. . .but what i can't figure out is if an open palm or the traditional punch is more effective? also, do u exhale when u strike, or do u hold ur breath in ('cause i kno breathing builds chi)?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ouch. That was pretty bad. If it was much longer I would have had to stop.

The one inch punch is actually a Jeet Kune Do technique, maybe the thread should be moved over there.

:D

Just a suggestion.

3. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Palm or fist.....whatever you like.
    CMA's have short power/inch power and most blows are dealt while exhaling.

The one inch punch that Bruce shows is a parlour trick and yes that discussion should be moved to the JKD forum..good call Yohan. :D

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Kenpo, please can you stop using text speak as a) it's against the MAP terms of service
    b) it's bloomin annoying
    c) most of us are too old to understand it anyway!

5. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

Exhale as you punch out if you try holding in your breath you will see the difference between releasing your breath and not, also make sure to keep your mouth shut and breath through your nose and if you can from your stomach, it allows you to regulate your breathing easier.

personal experience :)

6. Yohan

It's best to breathe when you strike. Some of the short power we worked involved inhaling - you can inhale or exhale, just breathe.

7. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

I've heard people suggest several ways of breathing. Personally I go for breathing out just before the strike but try to stick to what seems natural.

8. steel fingers

steel fingers Valued Member

Inch power Chuen Lik

The one inch punch is not a Jeet Kune Do technique, it is simply representative of inch/short power Chuen Lik. This type of power is not restricted to just a punch, you should be able to generate it any part of your body or any striking skill

9. Yohan

But no one can sit here and teach this kid how to develop short power over the internet. He's clueless about that and is practicing a technique he saw in a Bruce Lee movie for fun, hence why this thread is unlikely to get meaningful responses.

10. Kenpo_Iz_Active

no, but i was just inquiring as to how it is done. sorry about the text jargon. i'm used to texting now. in any case, 'preciate the responses.

P.S. I'm not that clueless. If i was, i wouldn't even know what a 1 inch punch is.

I knew it was a Jeet Kune Do technique. Don't be so picky. It was to late before i realized it was in the Kung-Fu section.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  11. Yohan

The point I'm trying to make:

Asking how to generate short power ( the one inch punch being one variation thereof) is like asking how boxers generate power, or like asking how karateka's generate power. The question is moot because within Kung Fu there are many ways to develop the short power. The fact of the matter is, that answering the question is pointless because we can't teach you how to generate power over the internet. The best answer for your question follows:

If you want to learn to generate short power, go to the SPM school I've already recommended to you. You've got a great opportunity to learn an awesome, authentic style under one of the greatest modern masters of said style. Don't worry about practicing the one inch punch, it won't get you anywhere without the associated delivery system.

Regards,
    Yohan

12. Yohan

QFT - represents my thoughts on the matter much better than my own representation.

13. Kenpo_Iz_Active

well than. . .i shall take a visit there. hopefully, my plans for college will help even more, they both are located near the dojo. Fair enough, consider this topic closed.

14. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

what he said, if you want to learn this sort of thing then SPM is a good style to assist you.