Kun Tao System

Discussion in 'Silat' started by hobbes, Dec 5, 2003.

1. hobbes

hobbes New Member

Has anyone heard of William Reeders /Kun Tao System ??

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I've heard of it, know some people who've trained in it, and I've seen a little bit of it.

Mike

3. hobbes

hobbes New Member

have you heard of william reeders or arhtur sykes?

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Heard of both of them.

Mike

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I'm somewhat familiar with Kun Tao and Master Reeder's system. I've had the honor of training with Master Joe Salamone, one of Master Sykes students. Actually I'll be seeing him this weekend. He has "adopted" the Kun Tao School in our area and makes regular visits to Rochester.

- Matt

6. hobbes

hobbes New Member

I also studied with him for a short time, the man is awsome (master sykes) i was looking to find someone in the houston area that teaches kun tao. - ever been to a very early session with the grand master? he seemed to like those. i remember some things which he showed us went so fast you almost needed a to see it in slow motion to really learn it. he did have one student though i cant remember his name... when i told him i was trying to remember some of the stuff from a seminar he told me "dont worry, you wont remember." he had been with master sykes long enough to know that every day he teaches you, its something new.

7. Matt_Bernius

Kun Tao is an awesome system. Friends of our school have attended seminars with Master Sykes and they are always blown away by the experience.

I'll talk wiht Master Joe this weekend and see if he knows of anyone in the Houston area.

- Matt

8. redantstyle

redantstyle New Member

My Teacher lived in Houston for two years. I am sure there are some students of his there. I will ask him when I talk to him next.

Peace.

9. redantstyle

redantstyle New Member

Matt,

I have been to all of Master Salamone's seminars in Rochester for the past two years.

I am trying to recall you.

Peace.

10. hobbes

hobbes New Member

If anyone of you knows a student here in the Houston area, would you please let me know? Thanks.

11. Matt_Bernius

Hobbes,

I'm going to PM you the e-mail address of someone you can contact who will hopefully help you with the Kun Tao question. Shoud you not get it for any reason, drop an e-mail to at this site and let them know that I told you they'd help you find an instructor:

The Academy of Chinese-Indonesian Fighting Arts
    http://www2.rpa.net/~61mmr/

They're not in Houston, but they're plugged into the Kun Tao system and might know of people.

- Matt Bernius

12. Matt_Bernius

redantstyle,

I've been lax in attending the last few time. But I'm usually in a great shirt with our school logo (my Avitar) on the back. I'll usually be working with Sifu Eric or Sifu Jay from the the Rochester Kun Tao school. Either that or I'll be working with my Sifu, who would be wearing the same shirt as I was.

Where are you from?

- Matt

13. redantstyle

redantstyle New Member

Matt,

ah, now i know who you are.

I am from Buffalo. I always wear black and red. And my wife is always with me.

Peace.

14. redantstyle

redantstyle New Member

hey pesilat,

I was wondering, who from our system have you met?

Peace.

15. Matt_Bernius

redantstyle,

Got it! I know exactly who you are! By the way, this might interest you. This Saturday we're hosting a Ba Gua seminar with Sifu Jack Davis. His material fits really we with Master Joe's (in fact a bunch of people from the Kun Tao school will be attending). You can see more info on our school's website under the "seminars" section (in my footer).

Hey, and next time your in the Rochester area, stop by! You're always welcome at our school!

- Matt

16. redantstyle

redantstyle New Member

Matt,

Unfortunately, I am already commited for the weekend. Too bad, our art has many elements in common with Bagua. As you said, they fit well together.

I have heard tell of a potentially direct connection to Yin Fu Bagua.

ah well, perhaps another time.

Otoh, I would very much like to visit your school and train with you sometime.

Peace.

17. Matt_Bernius

No prob. Actually there are going to be two more Ba Gua seminars coming up in future months. If you want, PM me you e-mail address and we'll add you to our mailing list.

And please cone on down and train with us sometime. Our Saturday morning work out goes from 10-noon, so if you want, come in a little early for the next Master Joe seminar and bang with us for a while before! :)

- Matt

18. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

None in person, I don't think. But I know a couple on line. One in particular that springs to mind is a guy named Erik Harris. We've talked about this and that several times over the years we've been involved in at least one discussion forum together.

Here's a link that has some info about him: http://members.cox.net/eharris2/cimac/bios.html

Mike

19. Matt_Bernius

Small world!

Sifu Erik is a great friend of our! We're closly associated with the Academy of Chinese-Indonesian Fighting Arts. Erik has thown me across the room on multiple occaisions! And he's crossed hands with Redantstyle as well!

- Matt

20. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL. Yup. Small world - and made even smaller (in some ways) by the internet :)

I travel quite a bit so hopefully I'll get the chance to meet Erik and you guys at some point :)

Mike