Kukri

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by inthespirit, Feb 8, 2006.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Well, I decided to get myself one of these crazy looking things to make myself feel more like a man.. :D

Any recommendations as to where to get one from.. had an extensive look, and I cant get any info on what sort of steel the traditional ones use, though I think they look nicer than the modern ones. I like the way the "cold steel" ones are made, but they are a bit pricy.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey Anth,

Out of all the weapons sites I checked out, I think the weapons galore place has the best prices, plus they reckon they can beat any price in the UK, so if you find it cheaper and in stock they will beat it..

4. scaythe

scaythe Valued Member

Would recommend a Sirupati style kukri, the blade is longer (usually about 15") than most of the regular kukris, but I've seen ones with blades as long as my Dao. Also the Sirupati tends to be a touch more slender and better balanced for MA style uses than most of the others. Himalayan Imports (I think it is, Himalayan something anyway), do a nice one with decent enough differential tempering of the blade, if you can find anywhere that stocks their knives.
    Having said that, if you're going for something sillily long like the 30" ones, and still wanting it to be fast, try and dig out something like the Kumar Kobra which is again a bit more slender and lighter.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey Scaythe,

I know this place (www.heinnie.com) sells the Sirupati style kukri, but I really would like to know what steel they use, dont want shards of metal flying around after I hit something with it. I e-mailed them, but no reply, the thing is that the ones they sell are imported from Nepal, or so they say, when I think about this I get a picture of some blacksmith melting down tins and Coke cans and making blades out of them.. a bit dodgy..

6. scaythe

scaythe Valued Member

Yeah, can't say I'm fond of buying anything from sites where there's no real information on the grade and treatment of the steel used. Friend of mine has a pair (one sirupaite and one other, not sure on its pattern) from himalayan imports (googled it, and it is the right company name apparently), and both are decent steel (either 1040 carbon or spring steel), have used his sirupati at times and rather prefer it to his one that is verified and authentic Gurkha issue. The cold steel ones look nice, but never laid hand on one so can't say much about them. Friend collects kukris though, so I'll see if I can pick his brains about the cold steel ones and the steel used traditionally.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Inthespirit,

I've got several of them - all were picked up in Nepal on different trips. The ones that you see on the websites that are honed to a razor sharpness with flawless high quality steel blades are a far cry from what the vast majority of people using them have. The ones on the sites are for people who want something shiny and new primarily.

The ones I've bought or been given in Nepal come in all different shapes and sizes. In Nepal they are the all-purpose tool - everything from chopping wood to cutting meat to being a right of passage of sorts.

They are super handy to have in a place without many modern ammenities as most of areas of Nepal are. If you are planning on carring one in the city or in the west - then I suggest you get or make a shoulder rig with a a Kydex sheath... these can be made out of Perlon cord and a Kydex sheath - but you'll need to find a place that sells Kydex sheaths with the Kukri if you plan on having a perfect fit. Last thing you want is your Kukri slipping out at the wrong time - for more reasons than one. :D

Kukri's are great knives... I keep several at home and they are beautifully crafted. Though generally the ones that get used in Nepal and the region lack some of the refinement and finish that the modern manufactured ones do.

Good luck and hope you find one that works for you.

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Most Khukuri or Kukri in english are made out of high grade steel. The traditional Nepalese ones are made out of old train track metal etc. etc. because a lot of it is up for grabs.

The Kukri I found to buy was £50, Available in britain and made by a Nepalese dude out of good Carbon Steel, with the craftsmans mark, blood groove and everything

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

slip- before the handover, there were some authentic gurkha rifles kukri floating around in your area. any still available? and how do you ship it out?

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks for the advice everyone. I found some info on the traditional production process (www.nepalesekhukuri.com/making.html), seems decent enough. I think I wll go for a Sirupate type.

EDIT: I changed my mind and went for the Cold Steel Kukri instead. I cant wait to drop it on my foot.. :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  11. gornex

gornex Valued Member

yeah those knives are sweet, my dad was in afganistan and got a couple of them of some like tribal guys, their sweet.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

so these guys were tribal guys but not quite? :p

13. shootodog

them gurkha rifles are a tribe eh?

14. gornex

gornex Valued Member

lol, no need to get all upset. I was not quite sure what to call them. lol my bad.

15. shootodog

sorry if i sounded upset. i was just teasing you. the famous gurkha rifles were the ones that made the kukri famous.

16. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Old thread, I know.

I recently bought three items from this site in Nepal.

Everestblade.com

They have a wide range is designs and sizes, claim the blades are made from 5160 spring steel. Prices are very reasonable. Workmanship is good but not perfect, I had to moderately grind the grips a bit to smooth them out, but given the price I think they are well worth it. Blades are thick and heavy, overbuilt.

Of course I don’t know if they are operating right now, with Covid and all. But I found this old thread and figured I would point out this resource.