KSW's Wikipedia entry

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_Martley, Feb 23, 2006.

1. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

It may not be that important but, I thought I'd point out the Kuk Sool Won article on Wikipedia needs 'cleaning up'. It says it needs a citation of the 3 branches Kuk Sool is from. From what I have seen of the other articles on Wikipedia about other styles and martial sports, their articles seem to be a lot bigger/more detailed than the Kuk Sool Won one (lol). I think that it would make the page look much better as well if there was an image of Kuk Sa Nim. I would do this myself but I'm not a very good Wikipedia editor so I'm hoping someone here will clean it up lol. :)

2. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

I started that page! :)

It has been changed a million times since then though. I think the original entry was deleted or something as I can't find mine in the history.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  3. kswgreenman

kswgreenman New Member

I'd be happy enough to rework the text to conform to wikipedia's neutral pov requirements, but would possibly draw a blank on authoratative sources for some of the claims.

Perhaps a collective effort is the thing? Pool our talents and so forth...

4. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I recall sometime in the past the entry looked very much like an official WKSA entry... having a chart like http://www.kuksoolwon.com/kuksool01.html, and much of the similar history stuff that you can find on the official WKSA website. But then I saw the Wikipedia folks put it in limbo because of possible copyright violations, being similar to some website (not the official WKSA website but some school's site). Since then the page has looked something like what it is now.

Frankly I don't blame the Wikipedia folks for doing what they did because in their eyes it was certainly the correct action to take. But from our subjective point of view, it's all good... it's what the art is about and every school site tends to more or less have the same stuff as the official WKSA site in whole or in part.

So, if someone wishes to improve the entry (certainly it could use it and really be expanded greatly... maybe even talk about "unofficial" history e.g. put the Gary Goodridge story to rest, discuss related groups like Kong Shin Bup and Dahn Moo Do)... perhaps the Wikipedia editors could be notified so as not to consider it a copyright problem. Or perhaps get permission from WKSA to use some things like the official history reprint, picture of KSN and perhaps a few of the high ranking masters. I think Alex Suh KJN handles most of the "computing" matters for WKSA.

5. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Oh right, is that what happened to it?

All I did when I created it was copy and paste the that page on the official site, you are correct.

I just put it on there because a) I wanted to see how wiki worked and b) I thought that KSW should have a presence on there.

6. KSW_Martley

Yeah, seeing as nearly every other martial art in existance is on there, on the 'list of martial arts', we should be on there too :D

7. KSW_Martley

:eek: Have you looked at the recent history changes on it? lol on one of the changes, a few after my last edit of it (which was on the 9th Dec 05) it has this extra bit added onto it:

"Is Kuk Sool Won for self defence?
    Kuk sool won is a very basic art with very little real self defence application. KSW is considered a traditional art, although it was created in 1969 by a 1st dan hapkido practictioner Hyuk Suh. He took many hapkido techniques out and added traditonal Korean weapons so that KSW could be considered a 'traditional art'. There is no contact allowed which virtually takes out the self defence application of the art. They practice some kicks, some wrist lock, and weapon forms. They do not specialize in any one thing which keeps KSW students from getting really good at anything. Example: Taekwondo has great kicks, Hapkido has excellant joint manipulation ect. To have a good base in self defence you need to have one thing that you are really good at, rather it be your hands, kicking, grappling, ect."

Some of the changes after it are quite shocking! lol :Alien:

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member