KSW Roots

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by AirNick, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

No I know that it is against the rules of WKSA, but how is this rule governed? I know of many high ranking instructors that cross train and recommend cross training to there students to enhance there knowledge in MA. How does Kuk Sa Nim keep control of this and what are the consequences should the WKSA find out?

My personal opinion is that if the instructor is good and teaches effectively then there should be no reason to stop the student cross training? It seems that for some there might be a fear that they will lose students to other arts.

The only time I would discourage cross training is when it affects the students learning of the KSW syllabus.

At the end of the day we are all students with the aim to learn but as we chose to practice Kuk Sool then we should respect the rules.

2. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Well "by the book" the black belt would no longer be in WKSA.. It seems that it is rather difficult to enforce and virtually impossible to monitor. Appilcation of reprimand is ambiguious at best. And applied on a case by case basis depending on exactly what happens, (which sounds like it very selective). It seems that sort of a "don't ask, don't tell" is unofficially in effect.

3. JSun

JSun Valued Member

The subjectivity of historical events documentation is present in all societies. Do you think the Mexican students are taught the same as American students learning the history of the battle at the Alamo? Of course not. Cultural bias is unavoidable.

4. KSW_KJN

KSW_KJN Valued Member

The purpose is to avoid dilution of the art. The fear is that as BBs train in other arts, they will begin to incorporate it into their curriculum, breaking the standardization of the art. Reprimand/expulsion is only used for those that have severely deviated from the art's core curriculum. Typically, these individuals are "encouraged" to leave the organization at that point.

5. KsnMmC-Scotland

KsnMmC-Scotland New Member

man man man

Martial art is ment 2 be about what works for you blah blah blah etc....like a famous martial artist once said lol think his name was lee......lol
    Anyway....all am sayn is that it is a personal journey... if someone feels like doing say mmmmmmmm kik karate do aerobics let em lol bet someone takes my idea here n goes and makes lots of money lol ...If someone is happy doing this art of no style KSW lol let them - obey the princible of the style without being bound by it lol am sure bruce said this too lol all am meaning hear b4 i get jumped n slagged n blah blah blahd lol is u owe it 2 ya self 2 be honest 2 ya self..if u enjoy doing something do it if u have questions go get the answers but dont diss someone else for their quest...
    Oh eye and Lastly
    Monk as if we didnt know who you were before you blow your little cover lol...
    man this forum is like a little bitch squad man.
    easy 2 type **** not so easy 2 back it up for real

KJN Richard if that is you sir, I say hello to you and hope all is well.

I have practised KSW since 1990 and am sure if you met me you would have to say damn....that boy has style and hey he is doing Kuk Sool lol now that can't be - HE MUST HAVE DID SOME SECRET NINJA STUF 1ST B4 KSW LOL..........NOT !!!!!

6. Unknown Entity

hmmmm, Kik Karate Do Aerobics.....you've got me thinking now....lol

Think I could get a slot on some obscure digital tv channel doing classes on the beach wearing a leopard skin leotard surrounded by tanned ladies?????? lol

7. KsnMmC-Scotland

Eye For Sure Ma Man Lol

Eye Defo I Could Be Ur Pr Lol

8. Unknown Entity

Deal but only if you wear a pink leotard! lol

9. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Yes that sounds about right. The assumption is that ksw is complete and no one would want or need to cross train. As far as standardization goes, how does a black belt learning or studying bjj force ksw to change the curriculum? If you are sticking to wksa syllabus as a teacher or black belt during ksw training, but want to study shotokan on your own how does that hurt? How can WKSA even attempt to control what people do outside the dojang? Is that ethical, moral or even legal?

10. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

Sorry it is all ready here it is called Tae bo and some schools of the WTF

11. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

To answer this is easy.
    People Talk, and word will spread quickly. Think about it, I coulds come on here and say something. And someone that is close to Kuk Sa Nim could tell him. And besides I have heard in KSW after black belt you art not aloud to anyway.
    And about legal, just depends on if you signed a contract stating such.

12. Unknown Entity

Yeah but do they have leopard skin leotards.......that will be the thing that swings it for me......

Will need to trademark it!!!

13. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

think of it this way, if you had set up a martail art system would you not try and safe gaurd its purity? could you trust instructors who cross train not to slip in things from other arts, because they think they work better? all martail arts need to evolve, but should a korean system include modern brazillian,eupopean,japenese ect techniques in its curiculem, would it then still be right call it a traditonal KOREAN martial art?
    i personaly don't know the answers to these questions, and to be honest i am glad i don't have to. but for as long as kuk sool suits my needs i will do it, and that means i will abide by its rules and guidelines.

14. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

I think that aslong as the primary art doesn't get dropped inorder for the secondary art to take its place then its positive. A lot of people cross train areas that are missing not areas already there and just bring training methods from the other art to make theirs stronger. Most peoples bodys are formed the same way so a joint lock a punch or a kick cannot really be given a nationality. :)

15. i don't care

i don't care Valued Member

who the f*k cares anyway?

16. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

that is HILARIOUS!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

17. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Good point

18. KsnMmC-Scotland

billy blanks

Tae Bo lol Billy Blanks make money out of joe bloogs aerobic style....tapes mmm nice no ******* die zattion there then lol

19. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

The point is that "purity" is an illusion. the mixing of skills from many different places is exactly how ksw was formed..... But I agree that as long as it serves my needs I will do it with in its guidelines.

20. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

not you obviously

:D