KSW: Contract or no contract?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by justinksw, Apr 24, 2005.

1. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I was just wondering if KSW in general uses a contract for training, or if any of your schools out there use month-by-month. Our school requires a 1 year contract. I'm not trying to debate whether it's good or bad, just wondering if it's a standard passed down from above or not. :)

2. Ricree101

Ricree101 Valued Member

Well, It's not something that all schools have, but I don't know whether a lot of the schools do contracts. I'm learning KSW at a university club, so costs are pretty small and are on a per semester basis.

3. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

From what I've seen, some schools do, and some do not. However, almost all give you a choice. Month to month may cost more, but it is an option. It depends on the owner.

4. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

I study in the same place Ricree101 does, so nope, no contract. But we're a uni club, so we're pretty non-typical. Still, don't think I'd quite trust a school that required a contract, even a kuk sool school.

5. Ricree101

Ricree101 Valued Member

I think it really depends on the type of contract. I certainly don't think that they should ever be longer than a year, but they can really help instructors who have to worry about having a steady stream of revenue in order to pay rent. I could see a contract time of somewhere around 6 to 12 months really helping them to budget. Of course, contracts can potentially be abused, which is why you need to make sure you understand it before signing. That said, I don't think they are a bad thing in principal.

6. doors

doors Valued Member

I Signed a year contract at KSW sault ste marie Michigan but my instructer just started the school like a month ago and I think he needed some kind of steady source for the people who started out. kinda weird but he's renting a chuch for our dojo but it actually works quite well. but puzzle mats on the floors. I also think contracts ensure that the people dont quit it is a good way to get people to stick to it but that may not be the best way.

7. ember

ember Valued Member

Our school usually has 1-month specials going, sometimes as much as 3-month (like for the summer). Usually it's a 1-year contract, but recently they've also added a 6-month contract.

In special circumstances though, I would recommend talking to the office staff / school owners.

I started martial arts while in college, in the middle of a series of internships. I knew I'd be in town semi-regularly, but I didn't want to be paying for martial arts lessons when I was on campus in another state. (couldn't afford to!) After my 1-month trial was up I sat down with the owner of the school (TKD at the time), and we redlined the contract so that I could pay and train while I was in town, not pay while I was out of town, and it was pretty open-ended. The intent was that if/when I hired on full-time, I would switch to a regular contract at that time.

I never did go back, and someday I'm going to need to tie up that loose end. I don't have any *intention* of moving, but since I do work for the same company there's the slim chance I could take a transfer back there some day.

8. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

No Contracts!
    We have the phylosophy that if you train you must pay your dues, because nothing is free, but you have to want to be there. Contracts only force someone to show or insure that the dojo can keep the lights on. We opperate as not for profit and utilize community centers for our dojos so the over head is low.
    Not all dojos can operate in this manner, but would'nt it be nice?

9. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Contracts are a must they are for the benefit of all especially the student just ask anyone who has set their heart on training only to find that the INSTRUCTOR was not as committed as they were and dissappeared. it protects both and is EASIER than month to month for all involved I can't think of ANY college that would teach on those terms.

10. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

here in the uk, contracts are very rare. most schools charge on a monthly basis, some use collection agencys like nest and efc, but they are in the minority. personaly i don't agree with contracts, i feel that if you don't like it you should be free to leave at anytime.

11. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Interesting

Just curious how many full time - professional schools are in the UK?

I know KJN Ducker is one. He is an efc member and seems to be a genuine guy. But how many other Professional KSW schools exsist?

I can see your point about wanting to leave any time but would you feel the same if your teacher wanted the same? or would you feel better if you knew he was comitted to teaching to the point that he would "put it on paper"

Personally I won't waste my time teaching anyone who is not committed.
    Nor would I train under an instructor that wasn't committed as well.

know everyone would like it to be like Mr. Miyagi but it's not.

12. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

there are quite a lot of full time schools and pro instructors here in the uk. i'd say about 1/3 of uk schools are professional. what is the point of a contract and would it even be legaly binding. how would you enforce it if i broke it, how would i enforce it if my instructor broke it, wouldn't this destroy the instructor/student relationship? trust and judgement are what you need

13. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Well put!

Trust and judgement don't exsist when a student begins. That requires time. Until such a time, if ever, Both side needs reassurance that the other will do their part.

14. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

If I were to start a school, I would offer a contract as an option for the student. The per year charge for the student would be lower than month to month. This is the benifit for the student. I would charge more on the first month in the contract, with the breakeven point between contract and no contract being about 6 months. The benifit for the instructor is a steadier income stream. I would prefer to have the student pay electronically. That way, if they want to quit, they at least have to talk to you before they leave. Most people seem to just never show up again.

I would make no attempt to enforce the contract legally. The student could quit any time.

That's just what I'd do though, if I even open a school that is.

15. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

As committed as I am to learning KSW, I just can't get my work to realize this. In other words, I don't have the flexibility in my schedule to lock in to a year long contract.

I work at a place that makes me stay over unexpectedly many times. I have a life outside of work and KSW (hard ro believe, I know). My work also schedules month long 'outages' that require up to 14 hours of my time for 7 days a week.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get my point. I have a problem with a contract based on the fact that my life imposes many time challenges to a strict schedule. I tried talking with my instructor about 'working something out' to help me, and was shot down. So in response, they do not have my business for the time being.

It kills me to not be training actively, but I refuse to throw money away by paying for classes I can not attend. I know other schools are different, or maybe they have programs for those of us who don't have the extra time, but that doesn't help me right now.

If I could pay by the month, or even a pro-rated class type of setup then it would greatly help me out. I can see maybe not offering it to new people, but I have been active in it for going on 3 years, (along with two of my children who are still taking it) and I think I have shown my committment.

Uh-oh, I'm rambling... sorry! :)

16. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Contracts

The use of contracts are exclusively the school owners choice.
    WKSA does not dictate how to do this, and many similar areas WKSA does not interfere, however the standard practice in the industry for professional school overwhelmingly leans toward the use of contracts in the U.S.

17. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Contracts

The use of contracts are exclusively the school owners choice.
    WKSA does not dictate how to do this, and many similar areas WKSA does not interfere, however the standard practice in the industry for professional school overwhelmingly leans toward the use of contracts in the U.S.

in reference to your current situation, I have seen contract situations that allow for the type of schedules such as yours, and the student was quite happy. Most contracts are a year and include a max # of classes. In your situation you would still get the same # as anyone else but instead of twice a week you would simply double up when in town!! Really easy solution.....Good Luck!!

18. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

That's a great idea, but we have a small dojang, and our contract only allows us to go to 2 classes per week. There is a class on monday and wednesday night, and a 'make-up' class on saturday for anyone who missed a class during the week. I tried to get a 'saturdays only' contract out of them to help me out since I couldn't possibly make the work-week classes, and that was denied. :confused:

All I can do now is wait until my schedule works with me so I can put aside my personal feelings about this whole mess and get back to some serious training.

19. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to pay reg tuition and if you miss a week just double up the next week?? the agreement doesn't necessarly mean that you have to go on certain days does it??

20. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I don't understand why not either.
    Apparently it does (although it doesn't SAY that anywhere in the contract). I have talked with my instructor about doing something to help my situation and he is always more than willing to help me out. Unfortunately for me, his wife is the one who does the 'business' side of the dojang. They have a serious disconnect when it comes ot the business and she will not allow anything she doesn't see right to go through. She wouldn't consider changing the contract because it's too much work for her and then they might have to do more contracts for other folks. Basically, she has one contract (generic) and that is it. Nothing else will work, period.

As you can tell, I obviously don't agree with it, but I am just waiting until I can make it to the classes to 'join back up'. I truly enjoy the art of KSW and am genuinely upset by the fact that red tape needs to get in the way of some great training.