KSW Black Belt Licence Agreement

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Unknown Entity, Mar 28, 2006.

1. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

I wouldn't mind knowing more about the relationship between Kuk Sool Won and Ki Do Assoc. I know Kuk Sa Nym used to be the president of Ki DO ASsoc when In Sun Seo was president of the Korean Martial Arts Assoc.

2. ember

ember Valued Member

From what I have seen, it's not the martial artists from other arts, or letting them in, that's at issue.

But you are correct, that they can kick people out of their club if they want, for whatever reason. I can't say I've seen it happen often. Most of the people that prefer other arts seem to leave on their own.

I think some of it may depend on who knows the person is cross-training, how much attention is brought to that fact, and the attitude by which the art(s) is treated.

Then there's the simple rule of geography and power. The closer one's school is to Kuk Sa Nym, either through geographic proximity to the ranch, or by personal connections, the more likely it is that association rules are enforced. It's the old "If the Emperor were here..." cry of the provinces--distance allows freedom for rules to be ignored or abused.

3. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Yeah but surely the boy scouts wouldn't stop me from being a member if my brother was gay and i spent time talking to him????? Or for me being married??? Also if i wanted to be a member of another club and it didn't affect my nights that I went to scouts or go against their beliefs, would they say i couldn't go??? I only ask cos i've always been suspicious of the scouts :D

4. Silentmonk

Isn't the whole point of these films that no one is either one or the other?? Anyway the GM could only be yoda he's too short to be obi won or darth lol :D

5. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

At last Darth Vader is un-masked!!!!

Attached Files:

6. Silentmonk

:D :D :D :D :cry: :D :cry: :D :D :D :D

7. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

LOL very good :D . you have got too much time on your hands :)

8. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Wow, Forums are fun!
    How many of you would laugh at a pic of Darth In Hyuk Suh in your Do Jang?
    How many of you have said something here in the last few days that you wouldn't have said in front of your students?

Um, me at least, but I'm still a white belt.

Anywho, I don't think there is anything wrong with any of those rules, though I am glad to know them now. I could imagine someone being put off by them if they were already doing their own thing for many years and then come to find out that they can't cross train.

9. Silentmonk

Answers in order 1:YES forums are fun 2:YES I'd actually cry laughing at it 3:NOPE not yet. :)

10. Unknown Entity

I'll second that monk.....

I'd probably have to leave the dojang for laughing too much!!!

I've always been taught to be myself....i hate these people who put on a big false pretence.....if its funny i laugh...if its not I don't laugh.....if i like someone i let it be known and if i don't you can tell...i;m not rude but I don't openly go out my way to talk to them etc...

we are all unique individuals and should be proud of who we are....either that or the Star Wars theme grows and we call become storm troopers...lol

11. Unknown Entity

Ladies & Gentle! I present the New Kuk Sool Won Masters Demo Team!

Attached Files:

12. Silentmonk

Entity is the one in the middle. Always has to be different. :D

13. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

What if you were the president of PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays)? What if you hung out at gay bars because you like dancing to '80s disco music? What if you two lived together, and they didn't know he was your brother, and thought he was your "friend"? Would they STILL want you to take their boys camping?

I think what a person does outside an organization affects their participation in the organization. What if your company offers health insurance to employees, and charges a premium to those who smoke and drink, and a discount to those who exercise at least two hours a week? The smokers and drinkers might be ticked, and if it ticks them off enough to quit smoking or drinking, the program did it's job.

I'd admit that increased health probably isn't among the reasons WKSA doesn't want its school owners studying other martial arts. It is interesting that some martial arts require students who want to promote past a certain point to earn a black belt in another style, and others require total fealty. Kuk Sool is not the only style that insists on no cross training in another MA. I would think that students could only benefit from a deeper perspective provideded by a larger base of information.

Considering the increased time between dan levels, and the decreased amount of material, I can see why higher level belts especially would want to earn ranks in other styles, just so they can keep learning new stuff. 20 or 30 years is a long time to just refine the same stuff, especially in styles that aren't so chock a block. I'd think one would pretty much have to rank in those different styles to really have an understand of what a 4th degree in one styles, a 5th degree in anther, and a 7th degree in yet another really means.

I wonder how confident Kuk Sa Nym is of having learned ALL Korean martial arts, and how long after founding Kuk Sool Won he was still learning new material?

14. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. I was never in the scouts. But the point is, they *could* if they wanted to, and it would be perfectly legal.

15. Silentmonk

True I see your point.But,I also see the point that if i the decided to take them to court for victimisation of me because of my beliefs,I reckon the Boyscout association might back down because it wouldn't want to be perceived as biggotted and archaic to the general public.Afterall without its members the Boyscout association stops existing.

16. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

They have been taken to court over their policy of not allowing gay men to participate. The BSA won because they are a private organization.

17. Silentmonk

Did it affect their membership????

OK,i conceed to a Weird american law system :D :)

Besides I'm getting fed up supporting gay rights, when its not helping what i'm trying to say :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  18. ember

ember Valued Member

Not sure if it's as much the weird American law system as the weird American people. Keep in mind that several founding members of the nation came in order to try and form strict religious communities. There's still a subset of the population that favors some level of theocracy (most often a hybrid theocracy/democracy).

Anywho... supporting fellow schools and students seems like the sort of thing most organizations encourage. All the active professional organizations in my area encourage a certain level of volunteering to promote the profession. I know for a fact that SWE encourages sections to cooperate. And the higher the level of officer in the organization a person is, the more one is expected to contribute.

WKSA is an organization like any other, and it doesn't surprise me that it would encourage "civic responsibility" of a sort. Each additional level of membership requires additional commitment. Rank has its privileges, but it also comes with responsibilities.

I sure don't get paid for the time I spend as an officer of my local SWE section, getting our charter or planning section activities. I don't get paid for the time I spend on a technical committee for another professional organization, or the time I spend organizing and reviewing papers for yet another professional conference. Nor do I get paid for the time I spend as an Advisor to the youth at my church. They're all part learning experiences, part a chance to promote those things I believe in. They are activities I have chosen to take on and support.

There is nothing requiring a person to go beyond their chosen commitment. I've spoken with one person who got her 1st degree, and is happy to train at that level for the rest of her life. There's nothing requiring any of us to train, or to continue testing / promoting.

I think each of us has a responsibility to take care of ourselves and not overcommit. But we are not isolated beings. We are, or should be, connected to our communities and our world. Eventually, any journey of self-discovery must come back and connect us to improving our communities and our world. It doesn't have to be through Kuk Sool, but it needs to be through something that you choose to commit to.

19. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

I would be interested if anyone could provide an example of WKSA demonstrating, donating, volunteering, or executing the same "civic responsibility" that it encourages/ expect from it's membership. I am sure some of the individual schools do, but what about the "leadership".

It sure sounds good for presenting a profile of the org. But the leadership must lead the way by example if it really expects the same from its members. otherwise it is just insincere and lacks integrity.

20. ember

ember Valued Member

I know of at least a couple of cases, but they are not my stories to tell.