KS family tree

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Who's Who...

I don't know for sure (without asking him, which I can certainly do), but I think you are right about Larry training with someone in Korea before he started training with Master Kim (pronounced, Mo Yang Kim incidentally).

Steve Whiting, Peter Heaney, and Martin Ducker, were all under Philip Holmes at the Beccles club (and the East Anglia KukSoolWon Association EAKA). They gained their 1st degree black belts at the same time, in June 1985.

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I heard that Master Larry started in Korea About the same time as Master Barry did. Perhaps with the same instructor? Thoughts?

3. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

What kind of help do you need in compiling the 5th Dan blanks.

4. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I checked with Larry, and he said that he trained Hapkido in Korea from February 1971 to February 1974 under Master Choon Soo Yu. He came to England in May 1976 and, whilst here, he trained with Master Mok Yang Kim. Larry left the UK in May '79.

5. KSN GT

KSN GT Valued Member

So who should I put as Master Larry's original instructor? Master Mok Yang Kim?

I need to know who the instructor is for almost all the USA 5th dans if anyone can assist.

Cheers

G

6. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Hapkido or Kuk Sool?

Well you have two names Graeme. It depends if you are sticking strictly with Kuk Sool, or if you want to allow a Hapkido Master's name being included as someone's original instructor...

Ollie

7. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

In case anyone is interested, I have now produced a short history of Kuk Sool in Britain entitled: Kuk Sool in Great Britain - The Early Years (1973 - 1989).

The article should appear sometime later today on the Cambridge Academy website: http://www.cama.org.uk in the downloads section.

I should add that the article is a first draft. I am hoping to update it at some point, including re-scanning some of the pics and documents, and scanning in some other relevant pictures and documents too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Just to get things started...

Gene Gause:
    • In Hyuk Suh
    Victor Quarles:
    • Barry Harmon
    Tim Sheehan:
    • Barry Harmon
    Daniel Jolly:
    • Larry White
    • In Joo Suh
    Joe Foster:
    • Barry and Choon Ok Harmon
    David Hespelt:
    • -
    Jeff Green:
    • Bob Zefo
    Seyd Seidi:
    • -
    Tony Renya:
    • Kunsan, Korea, in 1982

• Sung Jin Suh
    Terry Heaps:

• Jay Lee
    Karl Stolt:
    • Jonathan Simonds
    • Rudy Timmerman
    Fritz Herrmann:
    • Barry Harmon
    Tim Seitz:

• Paul Garza?
    • Bob Zefo?
    Farshid Shabafroozan:
    • Darius Ghaffari
    Yvon Senecal:
    • Normand LaRocque
    • Rudy Timmerman
    Alesia Harvey:
    • Jack Harvey

Kaori Nebgen:
    K. C. McLean:
    • Sung Jin Suh?
    Sultan Al Thani:
    • -
    Arby Hinojosa:
    • Byung In Lee
    Michael Nebgen:
    Rolando Garcia:
    • Eung Ku Lee
    • Seung Ku Yea?
    Kourosh Soroush:
    • Darius Ghaffari

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  9. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Here are the ones I know, positive about most

Victor Quarles - Barry Harmon (90% sure)
    Tim Sheehan - Barry Harmon
    Daniel Jolly - In Joo Suh (80% sure)
    Joe Foster - Barry Harmon
    Terry Heaps - Jay Lee
    Fritz Herman - Barry Harmon
    Koari Nebgen - Barry Harmon
    Arby Hinojosa - In Joo Suh (again pretty sure)
    Mike Nebgen - Barry Harmon

10. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Jayhwak was too quick, :)

I posted the instructor under who they recieved their first Dahn from. Not their current instructor.

11. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

:)

I thought Terry Heaps sought out Jay Lee, but he wasn't taking students anymore, so she then went to Master Harmon.

(Edit)

Never mind that was Michael Nebgen. All these names are getting mixed up in my head.... :)

12. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Are you sure that biography on Lee Harvey meant that she started KSW in LA? I did several MA before finding kuk-sool and while there were indeed some KSW people operating in Los Angeles in the 1980's, I don't think Lee Harvey studied kuk-sool until going to Jack Harvey's school in St. Louis. But I've been wrong before...

Also, I'm not too sure but wasn't Darius Ghaffari the master for Sultan Al Thani and Seidi Seyd? I'm not profiling here, that's just what I remember. And not like there haven't been mistakes on the WKSA website before, but I'm pretty sure his name is Seyd Seidi and not the other way around. :dunno:

I'm sure Mike Nebgen would be flattered to be mixed up with Terry Heaps. (NOT!!!) ROFLMAO

13. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

No I'm not sure of anything. :confused: You are probably right though.

14. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I am sure the feeling is mutual.

15. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Master Terry Heaps was Master Jay Lee student and then Master Harmon

16. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

According to Master Timmerman's family tree, both KJN Stolt and KJN Senecal joined his dojang at KSN level (and attained PSBN rank under Timmerman).

On the same family tree, it lists KJN Stolt as being with Jonathan Simonds and KJN Senecal as being with Norman LaRocque for presumably 1st dahn rank.

http://www.nkmaa.ca/nkmaa/familytree.html

http://www.nkmaa.com/nkmaa site/rudy_files/tree.html

17. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

18. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

That's probably as correct a guess as any. And it looks like I was right about his name being wrong on the WKSA website, huh?

Well, HC, I happen to know both of these two individuals as well as their capabilities and if a sorcerer were to tell me he was going to transmute my spirit into a different body, with the choice being between the two already mentioned, you can bet which one I wouldn't choose. :evil:

No offense D2, but Jayhawk is constantly updating the list (until the edit function expires, anyway, and then he'll no doubt have to repost the info). So you need to hit the refresh button every once in awhile to view these updates. If not mistaken, he had already added Jay Lee to her listing long before you made your post (#75). But thanks for sharing (sorry if this sounds sarcastic, as it's not meant to be).

19. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

It appears you where right again. :cool:

20. ember

ember Valued Member

KJN Hermann started under KJN Harmon, but has since learned from HQ. I don't remember if there was anyone in between.