Kosshi Blog

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by stephenk, Apr 9, 2011.

1. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

2. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Could you describe his process? Does he begin with kamae, or angling, for example?

3. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to provide a step by step. Here's a blog entry where James talks about the time I saw it myself:

http://sgtidojo.blogspot.com/2008/12/there-and-back-again-and-again-london.html

It's likely that even if I could recall what he said and showed at the time that it would be different, and better now.

I can, however, comment in some vague ways on what I know it's not: It's not a 'technically' based approach. He won't be saying, 'stand like this', 'put your foot there', 'take a 45 degree angle', or things like that; things which are often the first training instruction given to beginners in a 'normal class'.

I have a feeling that if you commented on your curiosity in the comments section of his blog that he'd give some more color.

(Looking through some older postings. I found this as well: http://sgtidojo.blogspot.com/2008/06/serve-meal-not-just-ingredients.html)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

5. Tsukaneru

Tsukaneru Valued Member

Probably the best thing I read on the Internet for a long time. Thanks.

6. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

7. antihero.zero

antihero.zero Valued Member

That guy has some pretty damn entertaining stories. I'd love to witness his training methods. One of my biggest fears is teaching people martial arts, and I've been stuck training the new guys many classes before. I bet I could become a much better teacher sitting through a few of his newbie lessons.

What's the instructor's full name and where does he train from?

8. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

James Morganelli in Chicago, Il.

http://www.sgtidojo.com/index.htm

9. antihero.zero

Thank you, much obliged.

10. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

11. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I probably don't even have to say this since you're all adults, but there's always a catch.

Kind of why televangelists always make sure to be in the next state when the endorphins of the people they've "healed" wear off.

12. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

I had to click the 'view post' because you've been on my ignore list for a year or so now...

Yup, no change....

I'd be happy to discuss this coherently (preferably with someone other than you), but that's not going to happen, is it?

13. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Reports of your conduct in Japan at Pete Reynolds's place tells me that you're less interested in coherent discussion and more interested in being obnoxious and putting down people who disagree with you, so no big loss there as far as I'm concerned.

14. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Ooh explain

Please.

15. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

So: That's a 'no' then...

Funny, I just talked to Pete today!

But, go on...do tell:

I recall pretty well the times I've been to his place. Why don't you tell me and everyone else about it. I'm sure people are curious, everyone loves good gossip, I'm no exception. You'll be able to discredit me at the same time, it'll be grand. Be sure to include details, we wouldn't want to engage in vague baseless character assassination without any sort of evidence, would we?

But, I'd rather talk about the blog: So, what do you think the 'catch' is?

(By the way, I've spent way too much of my internet-relaxation time going back and forth with you. I learn from my mistakes, wasted effort is wasted effort.)

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  16. Gigeran

Gigeran Valued Member

It sounds interesting, seems his person himself changes the ease of learning, next to his teaching method but from what I read I can imagine the effect seen it with a iaido workshop, for a few it clicked and they moved as if they trained for years.

Being at one of his lessons will probably tell if it clicked for me..

17. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. Makes me a bit jealous of the progress people are able to make. That being said, no one's claiming it's 'instant ninja - just add water', but I do think that it can serve as a powerful context to give meaning to the fundamental training that has to follow. Sorta enabling people to see why some of the details that are usually presented first (without context that's understandable by a complete newbie) are actually important.

18. Gigeran

Gigeran Valued Member

For all it clicks differently, for me it is akin to a dance, move right and it works, move badly and look like pinoccio ;) it is akin to a offbeat dance to your partner hence making that person trip and fall. Getting the moves and the beat as it where right clicks stuff in place. Look to your own elemental types of prrsonality which are predominant to see what clicks easier is a tip I can give.

I know myself so now see why such are easy and what follows on which when I got in a fight as a teen.

It's akin to a union beeing peeled away each layer holds a different layer in check. And as such each layer strengthens each opposite making it more likely to be the dominant trade. Trick is now controlling and choosing what is needed or appropriate and triggering that oneself ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  19. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Is it just the cider that made that so profound?

Ouch

20. antihero.zero

Against my better judgement, I'm going to respond to you.

There is a very real need to distill things to their purest, most fundamental form when you have a small window of opportunity to teach someone, "self-defense." Better to teach them principles if you've only got two hours than 1-2 techniques that "might" apply to their encounter.

Nothing I've read in his blog indicates that he is telling people they'll be bad ass martial arts masters after 30-mins. He is clearly simply trying to teach them some very fundamental basics and empower them to believe they can win what might be easily mistaken for a 'unwinnable' situation.

But, you are probably just trolling, as per usual.

I need to smoke some medicinal marijuana and reread his post.

[Update]
    Had that post mixed up a bit there. Fixed.

Last edited: May 15, 2011