Kosshi Blog - now with video

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by stephenk, Mar 29, 2012.

1. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

2. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

3. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Was wondering the same thing.

4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

What a strange response. I've posted many blog entries, now there's video. It's in the title really...

I'm posting it to draw attention. I think people would be interested in viewing these videos and reading the blog.

I sorta assumed that these motivations are assumed.

People are really, really, weird here sometimes (which is why it's probably more for the lurkers, I'm assuming they're less weird than us posters).

5. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Well, you have a reason for posting this here. Do you think these guys are good? Do you think they are bad? Is there anything noteworty about that blog and video?

Things like that will determine how the discussion will go.

6. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Actually your response is the only "strange" one here. It wasn't clear (at least to a couple of us) what your motivations were for posting it.

7. TR McKelvey

TR McKelvey Valued Member

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed these videos.

- Terry

8. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

I think he posted it to lure me into writing this:

I didnt like the video!

-Why ais everyone wearing T-shirts and not Dogi?
    -Why do the Uke punch worse than a 8 year old girl I know?
    -Why are the Uke so compliant, doing ukemi without any good reason?
    -Ah, I know! Its because the punches are so bad he looses balance every time.

Not impressed and I have no idea why someone would want to post it on his blog.

The dojo looks nice though!

Regards / Skuggvarg

9. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Great example of yet another westerner who is trying to imitate Hatsumi sensei without having the same process in his practice... and it shows in his body movement and structure.

It would be so great if people stopped acting like teachers and concentrated on being students...

10. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Thanks. James is excellent. Truly skilled.

Glad you enjoyed.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. TR McKelvey

TR McKelvey Valued Member

Big Will, could you elaborate a bit? I liked the fact that uke wasn't just a one-punch-wonder, holding his arm out and waiting for the technique. I felt that James at least received the attacks and moved around without doing the "Hatsumi-shuffle" like so many wanna-be's. He also seemed in decent control of his balance, again better than alot of the Bujinkan video's I've witnessed.

From checking out his website, James mentions date of Godan but no other ranking, again different from so many with their uber ranks and pitiful skills.

I honestly didn't see the typical Hatsumi-imatator, I did see someone who seemed to be honestly trying to convey Hatsumi's art. Of course, I could be wrong...

Terry

12. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Actually, I was thinking the same thing as the first few guys that posted, and I would've put the video in the Bad Ninjutsu video thread. The guy is doing the normal "Hatsumi thing," that sadly many try. For one, his technique is dependent on an over-committed attack and he pauses to look around and everywhere except his opponent, while said uke conveniently waits there off-balance for him to discuss the finer points. The starting and stopping, gaijin butt, lack of level changing, running rabbit method of escaping attacks(more footwork than is necessary),I believe the word is Meh!
    In one part he says that "this is part of how ichimonji operates, it kind of collapses and expands..." Say what? The way he does jodan uke would get him knocked out, end of story. Plus, if he was doing it correctly, there would already be a space for his elbow to be without having to create anything, let alone a chance to knock the guy down. Should be there at any point of the technique. He talks about turning the body but who said anything about the face(opening himself up to be koed again)? Hate to be pessimistic but I just see another average guy who talks about creating space, time, and distance but not understanding how to exploit that which already exists.

The sliding around on the floor, poor posture, and so much more made it just like all the other online videos you can find on youtube. Not quite sure why this would be misconstrued as good taijutsu or technique.:dunno: Nice floor though!

13. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

I agree that it's better than many Bujinkan videos out there, but unfortunately that doesn't say much...

The attacker's striking was poor. Either you practice against good tsuki with good movement and structure behind, or against more "common", "street style" or "sport style" strikes – but this was just poor lunge punching with very little body structure behind.

As for the defender's movement, he worked more with "dodging" and head bobbing and weaving than kamae. The stuff he does works because the attacker is committed to making a second (poor) strike no matter what, instead of actually exploiting the many openings he gives. His "ichimonji" - as he demonstrates and calls it - is pointless against someone who really attacks. The angle and structure of his lower body both opens up vital parts and doesn't allow immediate defense through hichô for example.

My question is - where does the stuff he shows come from? If it's not from the nine ryûha, where does it come from? From Sôke? From his teacher Nagato? Could he demonstrate good body structure and movement if he wanted to? If yes, why does he show this instead?

Of course this is all just my opinion, but he seems like someone who - just like the rest of us - should focus on studying instead of teaching.

14. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

*double post*

15. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

James has been my teacher for a dozen years now and I'm amazed at how I lucked out.

Maybe I'll just say this. I've traveled a lot, I've seen the people that are talked about - I've seen many people that aren't talked about. I've trained with many people in all these places and I know I'm comfortable with who, by luck almost, became my teacher and my continued choice to maintain that relationship.

Of course this is what I expected from the thread. It's fine, which was why the post was for the lurkers.

I guess, if I had a request for people, it would be that if you have a chance to train with James (in Chicago, elsewhere, in Japan), I would recommend you take the opportunity to. I've certainly flown around the world to see teachers that other people have recommended. I'm sure next time he's in Japan he'd be happy to train with anyone who gave a hearty, "Hey, dude, saw the blog, wanna train?"

16. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

17. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

You expected people to pick apart his taijutsu to shreds without you being able to respond with any better defense than he's a nice guy?:rolleyes: Your personal relationship aside(though that is good enough in and of itself that you two have bonded), what does he have to offer as a teacher or what do his videos have to offer to perspective students of the art other than more of the same? When you look at it from that perspective, you can maybe understand some of the earlier comments better.

18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

It is good you feel that way. It appears you have a good relationship with him and you feel you are getting what you need. That should be all that matters.

Please keep in mind you posted your teacher's videos out here for people to critique even if unintended and you have to expect there will be positive and negative comments.

Also with 1300+ posts you are not new to this forum (or MAP).

19. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I see a lot of the same issues that previous posters have mentioned. I'm sure he practices hard and has developed some degree of skill but what I see mostly in these videos is someone whose movements work against people trained to attack terribly. Who are the uke in these videos? How long have they been training? Are they students of the teacher in this video? Before the guy even is halfway through the first punch he is already losing his balance forward due to terrible structure, which of course makes it easy to make him fall down.

In the second video the second guy's punching are cringe-worthy. (But so is my tsuki sometimes ;) )

edit: just started watching the hanbo video. Looks like he's hopping around like a rabbit. Why so many steps?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  20. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Actually, I think you've miscategorized me a bit in your mental taxonomy of forum denizens:

This is exactly what I expected. Which, again, is why I said, 'for the lurkers'. Carry on with whatever, it's the price for wider distribution (which, is coincidentally marked as $0.00 on the price tag). Also, my post says a lot more than "he's a nice guy"; I'm not going to parse it for anyone.

Guys, you're not hurting my feelings, I'm not 12, and I'm also happy to train with any of you. I've been on this forum (and others like it for 10+ years), I get it. I really do.

I appreciate it all, but - I've never trained with any of the people in this thread giving criticism, and therefore it's not really something I'll pay attention to. I appreciate that you're all lovely blokes, but I've been around the block long enough to know that 30 seconds of physical interaction will tell me more about who to listen to than 10 years of complaining about who's got the glow.

My point is this: More people should train with James. So, since I'm a member here I use this as a forum to disseminate his stuff.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012