Koryu Snobs!? On my MAP!??.....more likely than you think.

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Hayseed, May 20, 2010.

1. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Do we? I mean if there's nothing wrong with being accurate, don't we owe it to the wider community to be accurate? Surely your not saying that there's nothing wrong with being purposefully inaccurate right?

It was important enough to Soke to change the moniker a few times, if I could only remember what he changed it from......:think: I would think that people would want to respect his wishes on this.

I'd like to remind everyone that this was posted in a laughable ninja wannabe fraudbuster thread, only to later find out that their dojo is connected to the X-kans.

I guess I just don't understand how people can be so blasé about casually tossing around the "N" word in whatever context they feel like, while pointing accusatory fingers at the result of that casual attitude towards accurate transmission. You can't tell me you don't see the irony there.

Regardless, in my experience(online especially), the level of ability, quality of character, and apparent mental health of practitioners/instructors, is directly proportional to how "Ninjer-y" they present themselves.

P.S. If this site becomes 4chan's retarded little brother who thinks he's a ninja, I won't be coming back...:)

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. Manga

Manga Moved On

Hayseed said - "Do we?"

Yes, you do. Unless you're planning to go round everyone's house and beat them up until they promise to bow to your wishes.

"It was important enough to Soke to change the moniker a few times, if I could only remember what he changed it from......:think: I would think that people would want to respect his wishes on this."

Yes yes, the same soke who changed it to Budo Taijutsu in May 1995 was it and who still uses a lot of the terms interchangeably? Also, please remember that the context of the original thread was X-Kans in general and not specific to the Bujinkan.

In general usage, the term "Ninjutsu" is still used as a generic term for the arts taught by the X-Kans. You may not like that but it's true. Now, we could argue about how only this that and the other ryuha is actually strictly ninjutsu but you know as well as I do that this point has been argued to death on the forums and that it's not as simple as saying "it's these three ryuha" or whatever. I suggest you get hold of Kacem's new book and do some reading that regard :cool:

Now in my experience, the people who overly focus on raising this specific point are what I term koryu-wannabees and koryu-snobs. They attempt to turn the Bujinkan into a koryu or rather to get the Bujinkan to emulate and reflect certain qualities present in the koryu which aren't necessarily present on account of it being a gendai budo organisation. Thus my point, yes?

3. Manga

Manga Moved On

Also, I fully intend to keep using the term Ninjutsu. Oh not because I fantasise about being a black assassin of the night or because I want to market myself and my dojo as such or to claim awesomeness.

No, call me a troll if you will but I will continue to use the term Ninjutsu even if only to watch the koryu-snobs and koryu-wannabees having an aneurism over it instead of realising it's just a damn label :hat:

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Troll.............

:D :D

You start saying "Bo staff" though and I might have to smack ya...not in a good way either....

5. Manga

Manga Moved On

Hayseed said - "P.S. If this site becomes 4chan's retarded little brother who thinks he's a ninja, I won't be coming back... :)"

Furthermore,

[​IMG]

6. Dean Winchester

Terminology, imo, becomes important when looking at systems form a historical/developmental point of view. Kogusoku, kumiuchi, jujutsu and others can all mean similar things but at the same time point to certain historical periods, specific ryu-ha and even specific parts of a schools curriculum.

So, imo, if you're going to study a system then it's probably worth it if you pay attention to the correct terminology but at the same time be careful you don't' become some pretentious **** :D

7. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

Rules 1 & 2

8. Manga

Manga Moved On

Dean Winchester said - "So, imo, if you're going to study a system then it's probably worth it if you pay attention to the correct terminology but at the same time be careful you don't' become some pretentious **** :D"

QFT :cool:

9. Dean Winchester

Don't talk about fight club?

:confused:

10. Ace of Clubs

Exactly :cool:

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol - the curse of the ninja... endless threads of unbelievable stupidity from everyone involved. Surely any ninja course would be incomplete without the handbags-at-dawn training for the keyboard.

12. Dean Winchester

er Slip you're now involved......

:D

13. slipthejab

face meet palm... lol

14. Manga

Manga Moved On

Slipthejab said - "the curse of the ninja"

That's not the curse of the ninja.

Super Mecha Kucha Happy Fun Monkey Bash is :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exHfqFg-s4"]YouTube[/ame]

SFW but not safe for continued sanity :cool:

15. slipthejab

I simultaneously felt a burning in my loins and threw up a bit in my mouth.

16. Ace of Clubs

I think that's a sign you should go see a doctor :)

17. Dean Winchester

Actually though the discussion might seem stupid to you Slip, fair enough :cool: there is some merit to it, as I've already tried to point out.

Just thinking about my own training I can look at one ryu-ha that uses the term Seiho for it's "collection of techniques" and another ryu-ha that uses kata, as I understand it there is a difference betwen the two although my head hurts when I think about it :D

I'm actually looking at notes now which break down the kanji used. On the surface it seems to be just a daft thing to give weight to but I stand by my "opinion" that if you're going to learn a system why not do so to the full extent of your abilities and study all it has to offer, that's the only way you'll get a proper understanding of what you are training in. I think this is especially warranted when looking at the classical arts of Japan.

Yes we are just talking about words and yes such terms can often be used interchangeably however if we just assume that everytime then we miss out on the specifics and as they say the devil is in the details.

Just my opinon for what it's worth.

18. Manga

Manga Moved On

Slipthejab said - "I simultaneously felt a burning in my loins and threw up a bit in my mouth."

Then my work here is done. Please pay the receptionist on your way out. Nurse! Please send in the next patient :cool:

19. slipthejab

Agreed. Sometimes things are necessarily complex and to get a fuller understanding one needs to dig deeper into references, nomenclature and context. Sometimes the layman's version just doesn't cut it.

20. Canit

Canit Valued Member

This post wins the thread. Everything after is superfluous, including this post.

Thanks for the ab-workout Manga!