Korean or Japanese sword stylist

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by the Old Wolf, May 3, 2007.

1. the Old Wolf

the Old Wolf New Member

Ember Starsong,
    That's alot of look at. Are these examples from your style? Also, what style of swordsmanship do you study.

2. ember

ember Valued Member

Yes, these are all from Kuk Sool Won. Sword is part of the art. I study under Masters Harmon.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  3. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

Hi Old Wolf,

I study a Korean sword art called Chung Suk Kuhapdo. It was created by GM Lim Hyun Soo of the Jungkikwan Hapkido and Kuhapdo group in Daegu, Korea. Kuhapdo is the Korean pronunciation of the hanja characters that the Japanese read as "Iaido". Chung Suk Kuhapdo is largely based on MJER. GM Lim's sword teacher is Komei Sekiguchi, the 21st headmaster of one branch of MJER (the Yamauchi-ha).

We have two-man forms in Kuhapdo. They derive from our basic one-man forms. In Korean they're called "seondo / hudo" (선도 / 후도). I believe that this translates roughly as "offense / defense", or "attack / defense".

The English section of this website contains a few clips of Kuhapdo, if you're interested.

http://jungkikwan.com/

Very nice discussion, btw.

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Wow, that video that makotokai posted was just great. Am I the only one who felt dominated just from watching that clip? Chiba shihan maintains such a strong kamae, all I can say is wow and that he's won before he's started.

I'm going to have to agree with koyo here about the concept of triangular movement/attack line. To attempt to use circular movement in kendo is a surefire way to get hit to death by your very happy opponent.

Plus circular attacks/movement in kendo are not in line with our foundation of dominating your opponent's spirit. You leave yourself open thus are not able to focus wholly on pressing your spirit, intent and sword into your opponent.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

THe japanese use of the sword is very direct and pragmatic. The manner in which Chiba shihan demonstrated the sword in the video was to emphasise the principle of dominating the attacker. This is the major principle which he uses in empty hand techniques. He shall approach in the same manner and "cut" you down.
    Basic principle is even when you do not have a sword... FENCE the opponent rather than fight him.

regards koyo

O Sensei "fencing" without a sword.

Attached Files: