Korean or Japanese sword stylist

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by the Old Wolf, May 3, 2007.

1. the Old Wolf

the Old Wolf New Member

Greetings,
    I am new on this list and am interested in talking with others who are actively practicing swordsmanship. I have practiced both japanese and korean styles of swordsmanship and at present run a small (very small) school in central North Carolina.
    Let me know who's out there.

2. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Hi Wolf

Your age suggests that you're not a 'teen wannabe fishing for spurious kudos, so, welcome to MAP :D.

There's a small clique of knowledgable JSA practitioners here (not so sure about the Korean angle) so I suspect that you'll find someone to talk to ... including me :D.

I'm a beginner really (shodan muso jikiden eishin ryu iaido) but I'm learning to enjoy passing on the fragments I know to new starters. Learning that what I know changes as I advance is actually an enjoyable part of the process i.e. understanding changing perception of what you already know physically.

I am attending a grading next weekend but I will be surprised if Nidan comes quite so soon.

3. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Greetings, Wolfe! Welcome to MAP and happy posting!

There are a few, but not many Korean sword practitioners on this board. I happen to be one. I study a mix of haedong kumdo and daehan kumdo (kendo), with some other elements thrown in. Hopefully I'll be testing for my 1st Dan in haidong gumdo in November.

I am really impressed with the knowledge and experience of the western sword enthusiasts on this forum. They also provide a wealth of information, much of which is relevant to our arts.

All-in-all, there's a great mix of styles and experiences in various sword arts represented on this forum. Enjoy, and please add your knowledge/experience to it!

4. ember

ember Valued Member

I wouldn't characterize it as a "small handful". Kuk Sool Won includes Korean sword work at least at the black belt levels, and there's probably 50+ of us around. I wouldn't characterize most of us as "experts", I know I'm not, but we know a bit.

5. jasonservis

jasonservis Avid crosstrainer

Greetings, Welcome to MAP! I practice Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (Osaka branch). There is a wealth of knowledge on the forum boards. If you have questions that you can't find answers for with a search, just ask and you'll get good responses.

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Wolf

I have been training in Traditional Japanese Arts for more than forty years (still training) Have studied Iai and kendo. My main art is Traditional aikido and I have a teaching certificate in aiki ken and jo. My main interest at the moment is the application of sword principles to unarmed technique.

regards and welcome koyo

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

One of the aforementioned Western sword art practicioners here. :) Just saying "hi, welcome to MAP" and showing some solidarity with other sword enthusiasts here. :) The more the merrier, I say.

FWIW, I practice German Longsword primarily (see the sig) as well as Italian Rapier, and German Sword & Buckler as shown in MS. I.33, the oldest extant treatise on personal combat in Europe (and perhaps the world), dating from about 1290. Incorporated in these sword arts are a lot of grappling, called variously (in German) Ringen (wrestling) Ringen am Schwert (Wrestling at the Sword) and Kampfringen (Battle wrestling). Ringen bears a close resemblance to Koryu Jiu-jutsu, just to give you a visual reference. I also study a bit of Dolchfechten (Dagger fighting, also grappling-heavy) but I'm just a raw beginner in that.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your stay!

Best regards,

-Mark

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Another WMA'er spamming your korean/japaneese-thread to greet you. While I have never done any asian, I know some that does, and we have interresting discussions, where we compare techniques. The link below gives you an idea of the style they do (katori shinto ryu?) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYjFpb1G4D4&mode=related&search="]YouTube[/ame]

-and a lot of what you see in the spear vs. katana bit is actually stuffed with techniques that I recognise from european fencing-manuals -which of cource shouldn't come as a surprise, as a man is a man and a weapon is a weapon regardless of wether he's born in corea, japan, italy or germany.

-as I've been in a little (polite) dispute with my norwegian katana-friends over sparring vs. kata; what's your (schools) attitude on sparring?

Do you regard it as somthing that...
    A. makes the techniques look crap and that usually degenerates into random wiggeling of sticks?
    B. an essensial part of the training in order to experience what it's all about?
    C. is the only thing worth practicing; kata are like pretending you eat serials?

Personally, I'm in category B, while most of those I train with are pretty close to C :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi Bjorn, long time no see!

Well, technique never looks as pretty when someone is specifically trying to stop you from doing it perfectly. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." :)

That's my philosophy.

Well, I don't do kata, but I drill like a man obsessed, especially "reaction drills". You need "cooperative" victims to understand how it's supposed to work in the first place.

I would love to spar a kenjutsu practicioner of similar experience to myself one day. :)

Sorry to interrupt. :eek:

-Mark the spaminator

10. koyo

WE train in aiki ken and aiki jo which is all kata based but we suplement this by cross training with kendoka.The reaction drills langenswert mentioned stood us in good stead and we learned many principles from the kendoka that are mirrored in our aikiken.

This has the makings of a most interesting and informative thread.

regards koyo

Aiki jo cross training with kendo

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  11. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Seriously, how does someone get to be skilled enough in both arts when decent, honest schools of both are so rare?

Maybe you should tell us who taught you and for how long.

12. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

*gasp*

Grimmy, you know of a decent honest school of Korean swordsmanship?!?

13. koyo

Hi Langenswert

In aiki ken we have a principle enten jizai that stipulates attack and defence must be as one. Example taking the body of the line of attack(defence) and thrusting (attack) in the same instant rather than a parry.Even when we do parry the parry continues on to strike or thrust. Is this common in your style?.

Stolenbjorn

Thanks for the link to the katori shinto ryu I thought it was excellent a treasure trove for those interested in kenjutsu.

regards koyo

below young David executes enten jizai

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  14. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Well, this one was for Langenschwert, but I'll beat him to the answer (so he can correct me, as I'm mostly into italian stuff, and I suspect him of knowing the german stuff better than I)

The principle you talk about is called "Meisterhaus" (masterstrikes) in german; where you take the centre (I.E parry) and launch some kind of threat on the opponent in one go. There are 5 Meisterhaus that I know of; lets see if I can remember them all:
    Uberhau (strike from above)
    Zornhau (Wrath-strike)
    Zwerchau (Cross strike)
    Unterhau (strike from below)
    Krumphau (croocked strike)

For all we know, the italians operates with the same, it's just that it isn't explained as explicitly in the italian manuals. Fiore talks about the "coverta" (the cover), that is interpreted by some as a plain parry, but others (like me) see several similarities with the german style. Because Fiore never stops with the coverta; he allways does something from the bind that occures from the coverta, depending on the feel in the contact with the opponents blade. (Called Fuhlen in german, not given a name in the italian system, but he seems to have been familiar with the consept, as he often -in a given situation; presents a weak solution plus a strong solution

Keeping the centre is probably the core of any melee/unarmed fighting system, eventhough the german manuals do mention some highly risky moves involving going around the centre; where you depend on the opponent to go chasing after your blade instead of thrusting straight at you... Fiore don't show any risky moves where you give up the centre. He do have some fancy (and risky) techniques where you grab the opponents blade for a second, so you get time to chop him good and proper...

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  15. koyo

Hi Stolenbjorn

My thanks for your excellent reply. Most infromative. I have stopped being surprised by finding common principles from other arts, As you say men are men and weapons are weapons no matter where in the world you may live.

In particular tha control of the ken sen (protecting and attacking the centreline) is a fundamental principle in aiki ken. My main reason for training in weapons is so that I may use the weapons principles in unarmed applications. Often I shall see a technique applied in such a manner that many openings are offered to the opponent. Understanding the centreline theory corrects this.

I share your attitude regarding kata alone as a training method and have raised this with a number of shihan.I shall post on this later but for the moment I am still "digesting" your post.

Again my thanks.

regards koyo

ken sen

Attached Files:

16. ember

ember Valued Member

We have pre-arranged sword sparring routines in KSW as well as forms. I've seen / been shown three, but the first is the one I know best.

17. koyo

Hi Ember

We have pre-arranged sword "sparring" kata there are five. Rather than have the kata "set in stone" each has what we call kaeshe waza alternate techniques which may be used to respond to the attacker.These include grappling and striking with the kashira (butt of the hilt). I like langenswert's description of kata as reaction training it tends to take away the rather robotic image that many have of kata.

thanks for posting

regards koyo

I know nothing of korean sword. Do you use bokken ?is it similar to japanese swordwork.?

Attached Files:

18. the Old Wolf

the Old Wolf New Member

Excellent! I am impressed with the interplay on this site. I will like it here.

Let me answer some of the questions posted I believe to me, and comment on others stated generally.

Firstly one gentleman commented that he would like to know how I came to have experience in both the Japanese and Korean sword arts. Now I don't claim to be any kind of great master. I don't even let my students call me Master (maybe when I'm retired I'll relent). I have been fortunate though. Over 20 years ago when I was in collage in Los Angeles I studied Kendo and Iaido. I did not get to black belt in Kendo under Yamamoto Sensei, but did earn my first dan in Iaido.
    After that I fell in love with the Jo.
    I have been studing Korean Swordsmanship (Hai Dong Gum Do) for the last seven years. Kwang Hee Lee being my Master, under whom I got my third dan.
    Because of a disagreement on how hai Dong Gum Do is organized, and it's focus on business and money, I have sence reorganized what I have learned into my school of MooSaDo. (don't let this lead you to believe I have a big head. I'm still just a student)
    Now, moving on.
    Sparing was mentioned. We do one step sparing after first dan (between sword(wooden), Jo, spear, and empty hand. Free sparing (with armour) at the highest level.
    It does effect the technique, but the only way to know if you have it is to use it.
    Next, the hyung/Kata vs. sparing debate. I believe they are both essential. I believe that sparing is not for teaching technique but for teaching timing and building confidence. Forms though are for teaching technique. And importantly, Hyungs/Katas are the text books of your style. Pro football players butt heads, but they also study the playbook. (smiling)
    Lastly, concerning, "decent honest school of Korean Swordmanship". Good luck! I'm sure they are out there. I like to think I am one. But I know it would be hard to find. When looking ask two questions: 1) Does the teacher make their living from the school, and 2) do they want you to sigh a contract.
    You can draw your own conclusions.
    Thank you for reading.

19. the Old Wolf

the Old Wolf New Member

Korean and Japanese sword stylist

PS - We use most of the same practice equipment, including the wooden sword which we call a mokgum.

20. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

1) That's just the Korean pronounciation of Bushido.
    2) There are all ready two schools or styles in the US invented by Americans called Moosado, and one of them has it copyrighted.

I'd suggest coming up with a new name.