Koku - A highly academic discussion on the "correct" way of executing the kata

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by skuggvarg, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Hence, "AFAIK (as far as I know)" ;) And we have Sôke's new book (the japanese section) as a pretty good reference too.

I know that Someya sensei and Ishizuka sensei at least do boshi ken to Butsumetsu in the original version.

Here's the quote I referred to, btw. Earlier in this thread:

As far as Manaka sensei, this is interesting as I have videos of him doing Koku from 1988 in a completely different way than a newer video of him. It wouldn't surprise me of course if other shihan, for one reason or another, change the way they do a kata too. Or they might be teaching a specific thing with a kata, etc.

I wish I had trained for 18 years now :D

2. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

I think the new video posted of the Genbukan 2008 Gyokko Ryu Taikai is very interesting. Tanemura Sensei did a forward-foot-weighted ichimonji very often in the video.

3. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Kuden :)

4. noname

noname Valued Member

5. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

The video is very interesting. Good stuff.
    We've always used this forward leaning kamae, or ihen no kamae, as a part of kurai dori ..... mostly in our koto ryu practice.
    As a bait/setup .

Another thing I particularly liked, and something we also do, was the use of the distance of the lead hand in ichimonji/seigan to "intercept".