Kodosai Cultural Event (UK)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Guy Preston, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Guy Preston

Guy Preston Valued Member

The event is sold out, so I don't think I'm running afoul of any advertising rules, plus it's not my event...

Just wondering if any JMA enthusiasts are attending the Kodosai Japanese cultural and training event next month??

Would be good to meet you if so...

2. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

No sorry, sounds interesting but hadn't heard anything about it

3. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Am looking forward to it! And not just for the martial arts.

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Interesting that there are no Japanese instructors listed!

5. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Tickets weren't that expensive and there was around 160-170 places, I don't think they'd make enough to cover flights for Japanese Masters.

I am quite excited to see Fumio Demura and Lee and Paul masters, I am quite open minded and will hopefully learn a lot.

6. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Understood, but what about the Japanese instructors that live in the UK?

7. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I don't know you'd have to ask the event organiser

8. Guy Preston

Would have been good to have more Japanese instructors, don't know the reason to be honest as just an attendee... isn't Demura Fumio Japanese?

I'm guessing its probably something to do with the contacts of the people organising the event, and some politics creeping in maybe?

Or could be that they wanted a mixture of arts, and to my knowledge most Japanese instructors in the UK teach a form of Karate (could be wrong here?) and may not mix well with Demura Fumio? I don't know enough about different karate systems, or the instructors to know, but have read about some controversy?

Or maybe they asked Japanese instructors in the UK and were turned down?

If I can find out anything, I'll post...

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I didn't see Demura Fumio in the main list.

Yes, he's Japanese but lives in the States I think!?

I've nothing against non Japanese teaching Japanese arts (my Instructors are not Japanese), however, this thing is billed as a "Cultural" seminar, and I wonder how well much of that can be transmitted with such a lack of Japanese or at least folk that have lived there for a protacted length of time.

There are folk here in the UK that fit this bill, but I don't see any names on the list that I recognise (they are very few and far between).

Still, I'm sure it will be great.

10. Guy Preston

Hope so...

I'm mostly interested in training with Demura Fumio.

Paul Masters while non Japanese has received Menkyo Kaiden in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu so that should be good transmission...

Other than that I'm looking forward to the shodo and displays, that make up the culture day....

I did see a Swedish 'soke' which rings an alarm bell, but will reserve judgement until after I see him in action - the list doesn't give an indication of what system though

11. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

yea this guy:
    http://www.dojos.com/combatacademy/index.htm

12. Guy Preston

Looks like he's had some solid training in the past in Japan and Okinawa from the write up...

I just can't help but cringe when I see people refer to themselves as Soke outside of Koryu, and Japan... It's an auto reflex I have to live with

13. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Like a gag reflex.

14. Guy Preston

Pretty much, yes, but a little less pleasant!

I just don't see the need...

15. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

In the instructor list, nobody lists what art they actually have their grades in.

Apart from the M/MK holders are most of the people at the top "founders" of an art?

If they are founders, is there any real link to Japan?

16. Guy Preston

Without going through each persons bio, I don't know..

The guy mentioned above has trained 20 years in Japan and Okinawa, under Inuo Sensei according to the link posted previously

Paul and Lee Masters do have a link to Japan, with Paul being MK in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu

The rest I know nothing about, but I booked up to train with Fumio Demura and Paul and Lee Masters, outside of that I'm going to enjoy the cultural events with my wife... So I'm not really too bothered, if there's any other good training it'll be a bonus!!

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Did I see Stephen Grayston on the list?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  18. Guy Preston

He is on the list, do you know of him? Worth checking out?

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I have no idea of his ability. I was wondering if it's the same chap that appeared over on e-budo a few years back.

20. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

Did anyone attend? What was it like?