Knife buying

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by electrobes, Nov 14, 2003.

1. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

What knives are you all into? And where do all of you buy your knives? Online-wise and brand-wise too. Thanks!

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

the only knife I have ever purchased was a US$2 knife worth aobut that much as i have trashed.
    All the other knives i own, 4, 3 of which were gifts from my step dad, all of them pocket knives. THe 4th I made in a class at teh local Comuntiy college in a knife making class.
    Brand wise I cant say much as I only own two Bucks, and swiss army knife.

3. krys

krys Valued Member

I have double blades (krisses, daggers)..... but am also fond of these big butcher knives.....

4. Trinity_opt

Trinity_opt New Member

I like fancy dagger-looking knives and I'd like to start collecting them for decoration (my budget says "Not a chance!" right now though, grrrrr...). Most of the ones I really like I see at souvenir shops in malls, or in marital arts or metaphysical supply catalogs.

--Trinny

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Personally I'm after a cleaver, but not wanting to buy one until I can afford a good quality one.

As for knives I already own, I do quite like a double-bladed hooked punching dagger I've got, along with a couple of short knives, some throwers, a mix really, though always trying to add whenever I can afford them.

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

For affordable quailty knives I'm a big fan of Gerber & Cold Steel.

A great online source that MAP member dra_uk put me onto is

Knifezilla

7. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

I'd like to point out...

I own no shares in the company, and have not used them myself - they just seem like an interesting company. :D

They are a sub-division of a comand called Pioneer Valley Knife and Tool:

http://www.pvknife.com/

The testimonials about the company online which seem really positive.

Let me know if you have any luck with them!

Cheers!

dra_uk

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  8. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

i own a tanto that i bought from king of knives :p

9. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

10. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I love throwing knives and lockknives.

I've got a couple of throwing knives. My favorite knife is my 5 inch 1-handed opening lockknife. I do have a butterfly knife, but I don't use it very much. I went to this knife shop in town, and I saw this really nice hunting knife. It was 8 1/2 inches long, sharp on both sides, with serrated edges, and the guy let me hold it and it was really light! Too bad I can't get it. Don't have enough money.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Re: I'd like to point out...

...... NOW he tells me!

(Runs off to cancel cheque)

12. khafra

khafra New Member

Badger blades is pretty ****'ing cool too, as long as we're sharing nifty companies that make sharp objects. (more sword oriented than knife oriented, but relevant enough to mention)

Check out their warranty disclaimer: http://www.badgerblades.com/our_swords/our_guarantee.htm
    It's a must-read, especially the part about re-styling the '87 Eurosport. Strongest guarantee I've ever seen, I think.

13. Kat

Kat Valued Member

CRKT for tactical folders and Cold Steel for utility
    good quality and good designs
    (particularly "flipper" on CRKT M16,18)
    I have a ghurkha light from Cold Steel,that did a lot of bush work and is still going with a keen blade.M18 from CRKT is a great folder.
    Check them out.

14. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I'm still getting good value out of my set of Dan OZ direct Star Trek Steak Knives.... I may have said too much! ;)

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I like Cold Steel, Spyderco, and Gerber. I haven't tried any other brands. Cold Steel's knives are very durable, and I love the Voyager, but generally I have a big complaint: their handles are too small. What's with that?