Kimbo Vs. Thompson

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by SPIKE THE RAVEN, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

stayed up the other night to watch the,err,headliner between kimbo slice and james thompson ...well,i don't think fedor and randy need to be looking over their shoulders just yet ...not exactly a scintillating match ....thompson however was sporting a pretty impressive cauliflower ear ....'till kimbo managed to pop it ....you'd think he'd have had that bad boy drained before the match , but what do i know .....contrast this match with torres/maeda or faber/pulver ....THOSE were really good matches..

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Can't argue w/ your post...

Kimbo bout: absolute snore fest.

Torres/Maeda & Faber/Pulver were awesome. Glad I lost sleep to watch them. :)

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

That neck crank Kimbo went for was pretty sweet, even if he wasn't in a position to get the tap. We don't see neck cranks too often in MMA.... you can tell he's been training with Bas.

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

man it's a snoozer - it's open in another tab and I've been thumbing through it.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Isn't James Thompson the ex-car repo man who got KTFO by Fedor's younger and much slovenly/convict looking brother?!

I seem to remember the stare down where Thompson was trying to look all sorts of crazy and mean... and Fedor's brother was standing there just picking his nose and then knocked Thompson the *bleep* out!!! :eek:

The fight left a whole lot to be desired in terms of MMA. To show you how mainstream MMA is these days... CBS even covered a the fight and did a commentary on it about how poor it was.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!

CBS... people... CBS!!!

6. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

yeah , that's the guy ...i remember that one , i think that's the only time i've seen fedor's bro in action ...i guess the japanese have nicknamed thompson "gong and dash" 'cause he usually runs right after his opponent at the opening bell,a strategy that did not work well against the younger emelienenko ....

7. mkiv

mkiv Valued Member

Fight should have been over in the second. Thompson rained down numerous unanswered elbows for a good two minutes. if it was anyone else the fight would have been over but eliteXC cant afford to have kimbo lose.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yep... that's the long and short of it.

9. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Honestly I liked it even though both guys demonstrated how mediocre they are on the ground. Though you gotta admit that Kimbo has allota power he bucked the much bigger Thompson off even though Thompson was mounted several times.

Was this the best fight I ever saw? HELL NO. But it was good. I mean I don't think that just cuz it's main event, especially from a smaller show, that it has to be a memorable event. I just think it needs to have some action.

That fight had action, In fact the whole card did even though it mostly sloppy.

You all are over-saturated! Take a break from MMA for a month.

AND if we ever see EXC on Live TV remember, It's like watching the CBA instead of the NBA. Catch my drift?

PS Thompson shoulda won the fight 2nd round. According to the rules they gotta be stopped when the fighter can't defend himself. Kimbo did have a hand up but Thompson elbowed that into his face.

I personally think Thompson shoulda said, "Stop hitting yourself!" as he elbowed Kimbo's hand into his face, but alas that is against the rules too:( Really the ref didn't do his job!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  10. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

If he had done that, it would have made watching that match worth it.

11. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Kimbo was matched with JT beacuse they thought JT would take a big shot to the chin and go down quick, like he did with butterbean and neil grove, and the Kimbo Marketing Machine could move up another gear.

Kimbo needed to win this fight as Elite XC have pinned all marketing strategy behind Kimbo being a big name in the USA, (i was in america last week and Kimbo was everywhere in media) it would have looked **** if he lost his third pro MMA fight after all the hype, to guy who has a questionable chin, when Kimbo's strength is his striking power.

Guess when things didnt go to plan, they had a backup plan which was to end the fight somehow in favour of Kimbo.

Feel bad for James, he should have won it in the second. There were some rubbish reffing which makes question what the real agenda was, because it certainly wasnt a fair fight. (and JT gave up a job on the new UK Gladiators show, just so he could take this fight)

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What was up with his ear in the first place?
    ewww

I seen cauliflower ears...but man, that was a cabbage patch all on its own!

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

i saw a prefight interview with JT, the second head looked bad then, but I thought he'd get it drained at least by the day - then he turns up with a monster growing out of his ear??!!

14. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

yeah man
    i really enjoyed the miguel torres vs yoshiro maeda though
    it was pretty sweet when they BOTH had each other in ankle locks
    those dudes were both warriors, but i was hoping maeda woulda came out with a win...
    way better than the kimbo fight..the reffing was horrible..and it just wasnt in that fight, it was all night.
    the first fight was stopped way too soon. the dude fell down and he stopped it. THIS ISNT BOXING

15. Yohan

Kimbo Vs. Thompson was a work.

16. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Not strictly speaking. Otherwise it would have looked a lot better. A "work" is defined as a situation where both fighters are aware of what the planned ending is. Kimbo wouldn't have taken so much punishment if it was a true work. Made him look too weak. For what a work looks like, check out Coleman vs. Takada from Pride. Coleman hardly uses any of his vaunted ground-and-pound, and ends up walking into Takada's guard, even though he's passed it, in order to be tapped.

If there was any foul play, it would be a "fix". Where a fighter is paid to take a dive, which didn't happen, or the ref is told by the promoter to call the match in favor of one fighter. It did look to me like the ref was horribly biased, but at this point there's no evidence or reliable reports of him being paid off or told to show favoritism.

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Either way...I think James was robbed.

I'll try to find it again, but I saw on Sherdog someone posting the Judges scorecards. and one of the judges saw that Kimbo won the 2nd at 10-9...that was the round where he took 71 unanswered blows from the 2nd minute till the bell rang.

Not sure if it was real or not, however....in most other organisations, that wouldve been a stoppage.

Even Herb Dean could make that call. But we're not qualified Judges and we're not pro Refs.

18. Yohan

Fair enough. I apparently wasn't aware of the actual technical meaning of the word "work." It seemed to me like there was favoritism towards Kimbo based on the fact that they advertised him and played him up, he got hit with successive unanswered blows, then they call the fight for Kimbo while Thompson is still standing and everything?? Sounds fishy to me.

19. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

(Moved to Fight Discussions :))
    Maybe so, lovely to see yet more corruption in sport isn't it? :rolleyes: