Killing intent?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Issac, Jun 1, 2011.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I think we're essentially saying the same thing. I didn't intend to give every possible definition or possible definition, component, or metric for intent. I still hold to the fact that things like "desire" which can't be measured aren't useful. Results of desire, like stamina in absorbing damage, are useful because they're measurable and testable. Therefore they're trainable as we can measure progress, and can be analyzed as a component of a fight (or battle).

Morale is an emotional (and somewhat physical) component but still a fairly objectively determinable factor in historical accounts of battles and the results are clearly measurable.

Lumping all of these complex factors together makes it very difficult to divine what people are actually talking about and leads to statement like the OP made where we all go "oh my god it's just like talking to the chi people."

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey Bro whats up, you say something about studying projecting your intent, hmmm, you need to be careful friend, your dabbleing in something that you cant control.

Lets talk. In martial arts its not about your "killing intent" its about self control. You get pumped up for sparring or the gym but you dont let your emotions have control of you and you dont project your emotional sludge on other people that is called being a toxic person.

Remain professional, quiet, calm, head in the game. The bigger man walks away and dosent draw attention to himself. Relax my man, get out of what ever your "studying" .

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I disagree.

Over the years I've had many people say, "I couldn't go to a martial arts school because I could hurt someone when I get angry".

My reply is that I could hurt someone when I'm calm.

It's just a technique.

I think the ability to project intent is a valuable yechnoque/skill to have.

I have a stare that says, "I'm going to eat your face".

It sounds horrible, but it's just a projection, an act.

In self defence classes it's a very valuable skill to have.

The balance is that you need to avoid walking around with a furrowed brow and a nasty scowl. That will have a negative impact on your own life.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I hate when people say that.

Most of the time I hear it spoken by some ego-fuelled bellend who you just know has never been in a fight before.

There's that other annoying saying, too: "I don't get into fights because I black out and lose control, I might really hurt somebody."

No pal, you'll black out and lose control of your bladder because you couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag and you'll get sparked out.

Boomsauce! This is so damn true.

Any fight I ever got into was preceded by a brief moment of clarity and stillness before the "fun" began (what can I say, I was a **** and I enjoyed a good punch-up).

It's cliché but true: be careful of the quiet ones.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Famous quote from a Judoka world champion/Olympic good medalist.

"If they could see in my face what I feel in my heart, no one wiuld ever fight me".

6. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Personally I'm simply taking about violent intent and everything that comes with it. I'm not too concerned weather anyone understands the exact meaning because I'll be the one being attacked ,so as long as I know, it doesn't realy matter. I just think it's realy important, from fights and assaults I have seen, ones I have been in, people better than me I have trained with. It's something evpery one should try to get a handle on IMO.

Edit...I'm definitely not talking about stares or appearing menacing or anything before. That's just not me. I mean as soon as it goes physical.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

If you ever served in the Millitary, then you know that the phrase "killing intent" is kinda...A strange thing to hear. I had a job, I liked my job, I did my job well, so did my friends, so did the enemy if he got the chance.
    A stare or a gesture is maybe gonna work on some guys but in the end if your trying to project that kind of energy its gonna eat you up. I would say op has somehow started to tap his fight or flight response maybe, this will be hard on his body and as we have all stated isnt really effective.
    I would think this is quit alarming. If he continues to do this is it not true that he could establish very unhealthy pathways in his mind that could talk years to disconnect or repair.

I mean really, if you add some hand gestures into the mix then we are talking about Kia training are we not???