Killing intent?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Issac, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ES0Tk9vLE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ES0Tk9vLE[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think if somebody looks at you like Clint Eastwood with constipation and starts walking towards you, I'd run....

3. RoyalShin

RoyalShin New Member

Actualy, yes. well this is got to do with your resolve+Adrenaline=killing intent.
    when i was in one on one match i realised that my opponet was backing from ring :D my opponent was almost twice of me :D that match was epic and if i had lost our team would got 2nd place im that match, but with my win we got 1st :3

4. etali

etali New Member

I think there's something to the whole killer intent thing. People who look like they're "in the zone" and have a nice mean game face tend to do well in competitions. I look scared and confused all the time (even when I'm in a good mood), and my opponents pick up on that and it makes them really confident going in to matches against me.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Anyone talking about "killer intent" in a sporting context has zero idea what the phrase actually means

6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Outside of competitions it's a foolproof way to get a "What you looking at?" and being beaten up by several guys. In my hometown at least, but I'm sure this applies elsewhere too. :rolleyes:

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We get some real weirdos here.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Says the half metal flexi-man with a British Empire fetish. :)

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

10. etali

etali New Member

Or the usage of the phrase has evolved beyond it's purest meaning. In my style of karate we're taught one hit, one kill - but that doesn't mean that each hit can or should kill, just that practitioners should be hitting with the intent to do as much damage as possible.

There are competitors that do go into competitions intending to do as much damage as possible too - Palhares and his nasty kneebars, for example.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

'one hit, one kill'! sounds like the cobra kai.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think the one hit, one kill nonsense is a leftover from when you carried a sword

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

"one hit-one kill" is well known in karate.
    And indeed it is all about intent rather than just hitting someone once and expecting them to fall over "brown-bread".

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I train how to form intent to kill in my school (not widely I hasten to add) so the term used elsewhere is slightly awry

"Intent" or "positive mindset" is what you are referring to

15. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

My understanding is that words like "kill" and "deadly" where used more euphemistically to mean "end the fight"

Kung fu styles for example, are kinda obsessed with nut shots. The old masters say "striking your opponent in the vital area is deadly". I take that as "if you kick a guy in the nuts pretty hard he might stop fighting you" which is something we all (?) learnt back in the playground but unlearn after years of being told "no kicking below the belt".

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_K-P0AwfI"]People sometimes fought on after massive wounds - YouTube[/ame]

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What style of karate do you practice?

18. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I don't know about killer intent but I think intent in general is massively important and one of the most overlooked areas of training.
    I definitely know I don't ever want to kill anyone. 100 per cent. But if I am attacked or get in a fight I know I have to try to have more intent and be more violent than the person attacking. If they died because of that it wouldn't be on purpose because of a killer intent, just my attempt to stop them.

I find better examples of intent from seeing street fights or serious assaults and also fighters like Tyson, Fedor, Buakaw ,Jose Aldo etc than anywhere else. Those fighters may be in a competitive sporting context but the ref often had to pull those guys off or stop Aldo ,for example, kicking downed opponents in the head. No ref equals continued attack which could result in serious injury or death.

There's so much to be said about Intent. Many want to look good and be technical but ...add intent... and technique and good looking goes out the window. The serious useful skills are things that work within the intent. So a person intently smashing the hell out off a bag would at first look awful and be knackered. Refining that is important and reveals the truth as to what is useful and what is not. That's hard on the ego so it's easier to go back to looking good and being technical.....but that's also why a guy with serious intent could destroy a guy who is technically superior. Add intent to skill and fitness and you get great fighters and I personally think someone better at dealing with the physical side of a violent assault, because the Intent takes care of the no rules argument. The violent intent mind set means you just do whatever needs doing to stop it, no matter what.

19. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

This is exactly why I dislike using the word intent. A couple definitions for intent:
    -purpose
    -the state of a person's mind that directs his or her actions toward a specific object.
    -determination to carry out an act

None of these are really objectively quantifiable and how you could "have more intent" than someone else is a mystery to me. It is highly semantic and down to personal preference here but I would much rather use a word which relates directly to a measurable aspect of training. For example:

Ferocity can be measured in strikes per second, strike speed, and impact force/velocity
    Accuracy can be measured in strikes landed as a percentage of strikes atttempted

Some people have been discussing intent in terms of ferocity, some in terms of mechanical commitment to generate maximum power. Some speak of intent in terms of a psychological quality which, while important, is immeasurable except in terms of its results. It certainly makes it difficult to have a productive discussion when people are using the same word but speaking of different things.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  20. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Much as I applaud your 'intent' there I don't think it's as simple as a definition or a scientific formula. Some ones intent is someone's will, tenacity, guts, balls etc some people may strike less forcefully and may strike less often but may well strike longer. We all know of people who are so hard headed they refuse to give in, that to me is someone's intent.

Winning a war has long been defined as beating your enemy by destroying their will to fight. The will to fight is the enemy's intent, how far that will go and what they will endure before loosing that will are aspects of their intent. In my opinion a killer intent is the will to endure more then your enemy/opponent and keep fighting.

Some people may be less technical and less aggressive but have a greater desire to win which gives them an advantage. The person who will carry on longest taking the most punishment and be willing to go to further lengths to cause harm to their opponent will have an advantage in a flight or fight scenario. It's only one factor among many in deciding a victor and not one that can be developed without pain and hardship, many people neglect to train the ability to cope with suffering and as a result deny them selves the opportunity to develop a true killer intent.

To me it isn't about so much about killing the other person in one hit as much as its about making sure they go down eventually even if you go down aswell.

I don't think it can be defined exactly or scientifically quantified but it can be honed and trained. That's only my opinion (not typed when at my most sober either) so take it as you will.