Kihon Uke Kata

Discussion in 'Karate' started by JonWal, Aug 17, 2012.

1. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Hi guys, Firstly, sorry for creating a new thread, I've checked through both Video threads and looked at many videos on Youtube. I'm a beginner learning Wado Ryu, I've only attended 3 lessons so far, but thoroughly enjoying the classes. Last night we practised 2 Kata, Kihon Uke and Pinan Shodan.

I'm not a fast learner and tend to learn things, by repetition, probably as Im untrained so youtube is a great help for me. Secondly as Im thick! :D

I've managed to find an a clip of the Pinan Shodan Kata which matches what I practiced last night, however the Kihon Uke I did last night only involved lower block, head block, outer block inner block. Which I cannot find a clip of anywhere. The ones I can find for Kihon Uke include punches, which is not part of the Kata im required to learn. Does anyone know where I can find a clip or directions online, or point me in the direction.

Cheers, Jon

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Sorry, so you're looking for videos of the different blocks?

3. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Not really, its the 4 blocks put in a Kata. 8 moves in total .

Lower block, head block, outer block, inner block, in that sequence but turning to face different directions after each block is performed. then repeated (so 8 blocks in total).

I can remember the blocks, but not which direction I need to turn to perform the Kata correctly.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I've just PMed a wado guy on here who will hopefully be able to help you out soon.

5. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Thanks mate, really appreciate the help.

6. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

Could this be something your instructor has put together to help students 1. learn the basics, and 2. get used to doing things in a sequence?

I trained Wado many years ago, and have never heard of Kihon Uke Kata.

I assume it's Gedan Barai, Age Uke, Soto Uke and Uchi Uke all put together in some sort of Kata-like sequence?

7. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

I guess it could be, I'm doubting myself now as there was a lot to take in last night. Major headwork. I'll ask the instructor. Thanks for your time.

And yes, you are correct about the block names. That seems familiar.

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

This is the closest I've found but there isn't anything to confirm this is wadoryu, not shotokan, and it's on the spot as kihon practice

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_GWMORWoI"]4 basics block technique in Karate - YouTube[/ame]

To add to the confusion there is a four directional block exercise for white belt yellow tag in Taekwondo but it is nothing like Kihon Kata in Shotokan (of which TKD is highly influenced) and it's only two blocks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6OkoDmsd4"]Saju Makgi by Mariusz Steckiewicz - Taekwon-Do ITF - YouTube[/ame]

9. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Thank you for those, I saw that first one.

I appreciate all your responses, but its probably best I speak to my instructor first as it may just be a way of putting the 4 blocks together to get used to the transitions as Andy says. Dont waste any more of your time and I will let you know.

Thanks again, Jon

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Some Wado dojo use a "pre-Pinan" kata called Taikyoku.

It's basically a Shotokan kata - but it does have blocks and punches.

What you are describing is probably something developed and used by your dojo - specifically to assist beginners.

It is not an "official" Wado kata though.

11. Shotokan_Andy

"Taikyoku Shodan"... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI0hwg3dOQs"]Taikyoku Shodan Shotokan Karate Kata - YouTube[/ame]

Taught for 10th to 9th Kyu.

12. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Hello and welcome to map, I'm thick too.:eek:

13. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Hey guys, just to let you know what happenned with this.

The Kihon Uke is just the 4 blocks put together in sequence to practice the transitions, but this is also a requirement to be performed in our belt grading for Red with white stripe.

Gedan Barai, Age Uke, Soto Uke and Uchi Uke.

14. Shotokan_Andy

Yeah, I thought it sounded something like that. It's a good way of practicing I think :)

15. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Thanks for your help with this though. I know there are going to be many questions flying through my mind as its all new to me and this place is a great source of information.

As a side note though, we started to learn Taikyoku Shodan Kata last night which you posted above, I cannot remember it being called that though, is there a Wado version that is called something different?

Thanks Again Andy.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It sometimes gets called "kihon kata" (i.e. "basic pattern") and I believe in wado it's sometimes just called "taikyoku number one".

It's also a very similar kata to what wado practitioners call "pinan nidan".

17. Shotokan_Andy

I call it Kihon Kata.

18. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

How did you find learning Kata when you first started?

I suppose its difficult when you've got different belts in the same class. Aswell as trying to take in what Im currently required to learn, I'm also learning 9th and 8th Kyu Kata.

YouTube is a great source of information, but there are so many variants and interpretations of each Kata its probably not a reliable source.

19. Shotokan_Andy

It's hard work at first. I used to break Kata into two halves. Master the first half then tag the 2nd half onto the 1st half. Eventually you get a complete Kata without having to overload the senses :)

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I used to struggle with kata. It seems to be getting a bit easier to remember as I get older. Maybe I'm getting smarter or something? :Alien:

I find that the best way to learn is to get the pattern down first, without worrying about doing it well. I'll often learn them in a completely upright, short, stance, with no attempt to get into the correct stances apart from having my feet pointing in roughly the right direction. Once I can remember the pattern, then I try and do the moves correctly.