Kickboxing or Capoeira?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Kainn K, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Kainn K

Kainn K New Member

After doing some research on both these martial arts, I've decided I want to take lessons in one or both. Taking both seems too hard, so which of these martial arts would be more practical?
    a) Better for getting/staying in shape?
    b) Self Defense?
    c) Laying the beat down on bullies?

Thank you for your time.

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Kickboxing in my opinion. Most capoeira appears to be more for show than actual fighting, although there's supposedly a lot to gain from capoeira for the experienced martial artist. I'd still go with kickboxing as a base art.

3. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Caoeira is a kind of martial arts "dance" that will absolutely strengthen your body, but won't be nearly as applicable on the street as kickboxing. That is not to say that it can't make you a great fighter, however-- if I were you, I would take a look at both, and then make the decision based on your impression of the quality of instruction.

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

In a word Kick-boxing but Capoeira will probably impress the Ladies more;)

5. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I think capoeira will do much more than put on a show and impress if learned properly and taught the right way. If you can take both, try it for a while and see what you think. I would suggest you really look into capoeira, but try both if possible, that would be really good, and you may find that in a way .....they complement eachother

6. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

I'd say kickboxing is better- it will make you tougher than capoeira would and that seems what you are looking for i.e. "laying the beat down".

I believe that capoeira is more of an art than street self-defence. I think I heard somewhere that capoeira was invented by slaves in Brazil. They would practice the MA in a form of dance so that their masters would be none the wiser as to what was really going on (or I may be talking BS)

7. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

Either would be effective, but you'll probably need to spend more time in capoeria to use it effectively in an SD situation. Kickboxing is more straightforward and will be more immediately useful. Both will keep you in shape.

Punch 'em, kick 'em, run away.

8. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Kickboxing is much better for what you mentioned.

9. stump

stump Supersub

Johndoch speaks the truth.

Do capoeira and get the girls...

There is one pro MMA fighter in the UK who uses capoeira kicks from time to time though and makes them effective but I wouldn;t reccomend it to the average joe soap

10. totality

totality New Member

joe soap...hehe :D

but yeah, i'd recommend you take both, kickboxing for your fighting skills, and capoeira so you can rock the faces off of everyone on the dance floor :)

11. Yan

Yan New Member

If you take both you'll almost definately drop out of one and perhaps be put off it entirely. Join kickboxing first, do it for six months, then look into capoeira. Once you've settled into one art it will be easier to take on another (as I'm doing with Aikido), but my main overview is:

Kickboxing: Fighting
    Capoeira: Fitness

Of course I've never done the latter but from what I've seen the only way to fight effectively as an ameteur is to fight others doing the same thing. Try dancing about in the street and someone'll just chin you.

-yani

12. peacfulwarrior

peacfulwarrior New Member

Kickboxing

TKD is where I started I then practiced a little Muay Thai and Capoeira. I think Capoeria is good to throw something out there that's unexpected but I personally wouldn't devote to much time to it. I would say if those two are your choices focus more on Kickboxing.

[​IMG]

13. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

wait...combat capoeira DOES exist...but difficult to find....people have been competing in Vale Tudo matches in brazil using capoeira for a long time. not just 'dance' as some people said...