Ki

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Spirit Reaper, Jul 17, 2003.

1. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

ONLY because andrew here is making grand assumptions about things that "don't exist" am I interjecting my own thoughts on the subject.

there have been far to many KI threads lately and it's gettnig really irritating in case you haven't been able to tell...

so biomechanics, or whatever, we have to label things. So "a rose by any other name would still be a rose" we're past that.

most importantly what do you expect to accomplish with Ki energy?

Ki is the energy that flows through your body. Through dedicated practice you can instantly turn on a switch that allows you to control your internal being, your consciousness, your internal organs, body structure, and hopefully your energy field, and manifest it physically

as martial artists we typically hope to tap this energy and use it to direct it within our attacks. but it can also be used for healing, awareness, accentuation of external arts, self discovery, spirituality, and i'm sure a host of other things I have yet to stumble upon or be privleged enough to be taught.

if you honestly want to learn how it works find a decent instructor in Tai Chi, especially Yichaun, the standing meditations. If that isn't an option for you, and you ARE serious, get some books somewhere.

there are all kinds of books on the culitvation of Ki, how it relates to martial arts and what it really is beyond the mythical and often stupid lore that is everywhere.

there is a great magazine out called T'ai C'hi and it does great articles on Yichaun each month and realistic information about Chi is given from masters around the world. It's only a bi-monthly magazine and it's only about 3.94 and issue here in the states, I highly reccomend picking it up, but beware it's super technical sometiems.

sorry for the long answer, but you sound genuine, if you can explain your intentions and they fit the way then i can TRY to describe a begginning stance to help you find some Ki you can actually feel.

just remember, it's different for everyone, people have different bodies and therefore different methods of tapping into them.

good luck, hope this helped

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Grand assumption being that I won't believe in something that goes against modern science and has no good evidence to support it. The burden of proof is on the person claiming it does exist, not that it doesn't

That said nothing you can say about mechanics will convince me that the reason my watch works is not because of the little invisible gremlin that lives inside of it and keeps it telling the right time. :D

3. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

LOL you sound like my physics teacher. I swear he used the same analogy.

4. Spirit Reaper

Spirit Reaper New Member

thanks joe...i've seen people use it to boost their speed, power and their confidence. i would like to start with that. it also relaxed them too....i just wanna start with that...i like to relax :)

that really all i want, i dont wanna learn a ka-me-ha-me-ha wave or anything. just simple stuff...

5. Spirit Reaper

Spirit Reaper New Member

and about irritating people with the non stop ki threads, im really sorry! i didn't even see the little search icon up at the top...i dont mean to **** people off with repeditive threads im just another human, trying to learn some martial arts.....

i will use the search thing more often guys, so dont kung fu my ass...

6. Tireces

Tireces New Member

And what makes you think this was "ki"? Because they said so? Fine, the reason I can punch harder than the average, untrained man somewhat larger than me is because my father is a mythical dragon. Now shower me with gifts befitting of a dragon half-breed, and acknowledge my awesome powers, and pay me money to show you how to use them too, because in reality, we're all descended from dragons. What? You don't believe me? Well, you just can't appreciate the finer aspects of the martial arts. Barbarian.

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

The August edition of inside Kung Fu has an article about Tai Chi Chuan master Henry Wang and how he can transmit his chi power without touching, stopping people in their tracks and knocking people over by wafting his hands about (Armpit Fu?).

Bit like a mobile phone mast really.

8. Tireces

Tireces New Member

As andrew said, the burden of proof is on the people who believe in it. If they want to prove the validity of "spirit energy", they should put up demonstrations publicly (namely on the net), instead of forcing people to buy videos or go to seminars just to see it demonstrated. On the videos and at seminars, they should be actually TEACHING, let people see these radical demonstrations elsewhere beforehand. People shouldn't be forced to attend seminars and buy videos just to go "oooh aaah" and watch forever.

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Teaching and demonstarting is what separates the reality from the magicians trick.

Don't try to impress me with what YOU can do - teach me what I can do.

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

If you don't know by now, you never will. :)

11. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Well, I'm just saying I want to see just how this is done for myself, without having to shell out cash for it, because I've never been a fan of magic shows. I hear this talk of a "no touch knockout", so I want to see the actual technique, performed on people who have no prior affiliation to or contact with the martial artist, directly or indirectly (which can't really be guaranteed, but oh well), I also want to see if the person is truly "knocked out".

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'd like to see one of these guys do ANY of this stuff on a well conditioned athlete who didn't know about the supposed abilities of the "master" - just a friendly Vale Tudo match would do. After all - if it's a no touch thing we don't have to rely on eye boinks or pressure points - it should work well on a Randy Couture or a Tito Ortiz - even just a club level MMA athlete would do - as long as they weren't told they were supposed to "fall over".

13. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Yes, I'd definitely like to see this done on someone who isnt a student of the "master" in question, or somehow affiliated. Otherwise, Hulk Hogan must have strong chi too!

[​IMG]

Whatcha gonna do, when my life energy runs wild on you??!!

14. SoKKlab

Yes the force is strong in the Hulk one.

but how big is that guy doing tha flying? Like Empire State Building dimensions?

15. Tireces

Tireces New Member

That would be Kevin Nash, roughly 7 feet tall, 320 pounds. Known to fans as "old stick legs", because under those pants, he's got some seriously weak legs that he injures a lot. He sure knows how to work those energy demonstrations though, eh?

16. SoKKlab

Kevin could always go for a career in Basketball if his legs are a bit weak for Wrestling.

I would of thought that the ref had gone over on that one (Would of been a great effect) as well, considering how much Chi Hulk Hogan was producing.

17. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Actually, it was supposed to be a storyline swerve, where the two showed down for the title, but nash jokingly rolled over for hogan after being poked by him and they united their two groups into one. So no, the ref wouldnt have bumped for that one. :D

As for Kevin, he got booted from the world of sports for his bad attitude. He's basically a self-deluded egomaniac.

18. white crane

white crane New Member

You know that tingling feeling you get when you are practising your form, usually in your hands and fingers? Thats Chi energy. We all have it. the secrets in developing it and learning how to use/direct it. Tai chi, Bagua and hsing yi are the best martial arts for developing Chi, but learning some form of Chi gong along with one of them is also helpfull. But the main thing is whether or not you believe it actually exists.

19. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Um...I've never felt such a feeling. I guess I should quit martial arts now because my "chi" is too weak.

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

4000 years of accupuncture. You do it, you get results. You do it, you get results, over and over again on all sorts of people. Accupuncturists can use textbooks that are centuries old, even thousands of years old, because the theories still hold true. Western "scientists," despite all their puffery and pride, can't use textbooks that are mere decades old because the "facts" have changed so much that the theories are no longer believed.

Hmmm. Pretty convincing to me. Jury votes that ki is real.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003