ki

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ziseez, Feb 6, 2004.

1. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

i wanna know get too know alot about it,i know it might take years but can someone just help me out and say what they know

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

My view on the topic...

If it existed, you wouldn't need to believe in it to feel it, it would just be there.

You need to form your own views on it though. Chi's pretty controversial, I'd suggest doing a search on this forum and read some of the existing threads on it.

3. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Ki exists.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I talked about this in another thread somewhere on here. Ki does exist.

There are times when a person who has not been trained to be aware of ki suddenly becomes aware of it without realising what it is.

Ki can be negative or positive. It can be hard or soft.

An example of negative ki would be when you walk into a room and the atmosphere 'feels' bad. Like when you could cut the air with a knife.

Positive ki is a good feeling. Like the infeciouse happy buzz at a party.

People who train to develop their extention of ki can create at will feeling this strong and stonger. It does take years however.

The best example I can think of for hard ki is Bruce Lees one inch punch. The entire focus of his energy or mind goes straight through a person at a single point.

Soft ki is a far harder concept to grasp (and to explain). A person must learn to 'wrap' their ki or mind around uke. Where hard ki travels in straight lines, soft ki moves in circles.

It is soft ki that very hi Aikido practitioners use to create confusion in their ukes' mind. Soft ki is potentialy the most dangerouse and destructive form of ki. However it is also the most useful and contstructive form of ki.

People make ki sound mystical and stuff but it's not. Ki is what you feel everyday. Martial artists who practice softer styles like Ki Aikido simpley develop it further. It's something everybody has.

5. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

oh i see,thanx for that.i have another suggestion(correct me if im right)that if you have total control of your emotions you can control ki well if you can understand it,because me myself i can control my feelings well and i thought of moments when you last posted that imformation.if you want too know more about controlling feelings i believe i would be a master of it.

6. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

instead of right i meant wrong lol

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well being able to keep a calm mind will help but if by control you mean supress then you're wrong. Supressing your emotions only seems to restrict your ability to extend ki.

Extending good strong ki requires a giving state of mind. You can't hold anything back.

8. totality

totality New Member

just so you get both sides of the coin; ki is fake.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

no it's not lol

10. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

no i meant like in an angry enviroment you can calm yourself by will because ive never cried before in my laugh not even when my family members died....ok enoughabout me and on the subject,does anyone know alot on o sensei's ki or anything ever written about it?

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I think you're wrong. If for no other reason than because you have a lack of proof. :p

PL

12. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

me myself your talking about?well ive never cried because of a hard family life but i rather not get into it

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Try taking a look these. I haven't read them all but they should be relevant (I did an amazon.com search).

Ki In Daily Life by Koichi Tohei

Remembering O-Sensei : Living and Training with Morihei Ueshiba, Founder of Aikido by Susan Perry

Best Aikido : The Fundamentals by Kisshomaru Ueshiba

The Practice of Freedom Aikido Principles as a Spiritual Guide by Wendy Palmer, Jack Kornfield

The Essence of Aikido: Spiritual Teachings of Morihei Ueshiba by Morihei Ueshiba, John Stevens (Compiler)

Art of Peace by John Stevens

Ki in Aikido: A Sampler of Ki Exercises by C. M. Shifflett

Principles of Aikido by Mitsugi Saotome

The Spirit of Aikido by Kisshomaru Ueshiba, Taitetsu Unno (Translator)

Budo: Teachings of the Founder of Aikido by Morihei Ueshiba, Kisshomaru Ueshiba (Introduction)

The list is endless check out amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...oks&sz=10&pg=2/ref=s_b_np/102-0585055-5034544

14. Darren

Darren Valued Member

Interesting. I thought aikido was about body mechanics, as was Bruce Lee's one inch punch. I think he would turn in his grave if he knew people thought his one inch punch was anything as 'mystical' as some 'mumbo jumbo' like ki/chi.

Anyway if you want to know what chi is, get a book on basic chi kung eg http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_6/104-9954224-6710353?v=glance&s=books

Good luck :)

edited to add: Not that a practitioner of aikido wouldn't benefit from applying chi in an appropriate fashion.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well Darren you're wrong about Aikido being purely about body mechanics you'er wrong about ki being mystical mumbo jumbo. And given you seem to hold that view why are you posting links about it and saying Aikido could benefit from the proper application of chi?

Didn't anybody tell you ki and chi are the same thing?

16. Darren

Darren Valued Member

no i didnt say it was mumbo jumbo. i said it was 'mumbo jumbo'. subtly different but meaning completely the opposite :)

i know ki and chi are the same... and i know it exists. i practice chi kung every day. it's not about belief. cos you only believe something you have no evidence of :D

i wasnt aware aikido used it... tell me more?

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

uh you weren't aware aikido used ki? You can't spell it without it. There's even a whole style of Aikido that specificaly emphisises (sorry can't spell) the teaching of ki. That's Ki Aikido btw.

But ki generaly is core component of aikido.