ki in aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by DamSkippy, May 17, 2010.

1. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

There is no difference. It is the same. What is different is the types there are (and, no, I do not mean by country/state/village/tribe).

2. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Behind the strike is already too late, ki is arriving. It should have already arrived (and, no I don't mean that in a mystical mumbo jumbo, I wave my hand and you fall down, and so does the guy 3 blocks down the street, and the one in the elevator riding up to the 10th floor, kind of way...).

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The point of quoting your source is not to aid understanding. It's for validation. So please feel free to quote the source of your riddles. I might not understand them but I can certainly validate them as genuine and validate the context.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Actually there is a difference. The Japanese have a more practical and pragmatic view on the subject than the Chinese.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Again this is a post that means absolutely nothing. Arrive where exactly?

6. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    If you need validation for your training, then I suggest you seek new training.

7. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    the japanese have gotten that / arrived at that from the korean peninsula.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

izumizu could you please stop butchering quotes and stop posting cryptic meaningless nonsense. You're not helping the progression of the discussion.

10. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    really? that is the post you have just made??? Okay, in light of that, and recognizing you are a topic mod, I will attmept to sheath my metal alloy training tool at this time, an perhaps use a wooden, not as sharp model that I bought off of ebay?????????????? Maybe one that doesn't have much ki withit? Let me know, cuz I still wish to contribute to this thread.

11. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Anything the japanese are trying to understand, isn't what has already been understood by the koreans and chinese many centuries before...

12. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

In anycase, my reply's to assaults from other members on mAP have taken us off of course. Let me allow this to get us back on to course ( and this in no way attests to my martial ability, merely the abilty I train to seek:)

KI is evedent when yin and yang are in "balance."

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That's probably dependent on how the term is being used and the intended meaning of the user.

In relation to fightin' type things- denoting a mental state,such as "fighting spirit" is a bit more ambiguous than speaking of it in mundane terms of the body's ability to express/create energy in a certain fashion.George Foreman's ch'i was manifest each time he hit Joe Frazier.That sort of thing.

However,both would be correct in Chinese usage of the term,neither is "more correct" than the other.If we're talking about streams of energy issuing from the gates of the body through specific meridians to then exit from the lou gung point in the palm....well that's another ball o' wax.

14. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

"Arrival of 기 Ki 氣 (Ko.), キ KI 気 [氣] (Jp.), Qì 气 [氣] (Ch.), Vital-Energy" is a fundamental concept of acupuncture and martial arts which train in 기학 KiHak 氣學 (Ko.), キガク KiGaku 気学 [氣學] (Jp.), QìXué 气学 [氣學] (Ch.), Vital-Energy Study.

The statement is an adage based upon the fact that Vital-Energy cannot be pushed, it can only be lead.

Vital-Energy "arrives" in acupuncture at the location of the needle when needling is sufficient which is physically sensed by the acupuncturist's fingers as a result of the needle becoming firm or rigid in its position and, often, pulsating as the relation between Ki and Blood is closely tied.

Vital-Energy "arrives" in martial art at the location where the 의 Eui 意 (Ko.), イ I 意 (Jp.), Yì 意 (Ch.) Intent-Mind is placed often in coordination with the breath as this energy condenses inward on inhalation and expands outward on exhalation. This can be sensed physically by the martial artist variously as electrical, magnetic, heat, cold, tingling, bubbling, numbness, etc. depending on how and where the energy is lead. These sensations are how the energy may be perceived and not necessarily literal.

It is important to understand that Vital-Energy is lead consciously by the water mind in martial art in a controlled state. In emotionally reactive response, Vital-Energy is lead subconsciously by the fire mind in an uncontrolled state.

의 Eui 意 (Ko.), イ I 意 (Jp.), Yì 意 (Ch.) Intent-Mind (water mind; wisdom) purpose, will; meaning; idea; thought; opinion; intention; wish

심 Sim 心 (Ko.), シン Shin 心 (Jp.), Xīn 心 (Ch.) Heart-Mind (fire mind; emotion) heart, moral, nature, mind, affections; intention; core; center

I hope I have provided some clarity without becoming too technical.

15. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Ye, I walked into an acupuncturists office in Hong Kong once, looking for some acupunture for my body. He asked me what was the matter with me, to which I replyed "nothing."

He said: "You don't need acupuncture then." And sent me on my way.:rolleyes: It was at this point I knew he was a true acupuncturist. What I was really looking for was massage, which I found about four doors down.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  16. DKYLE

DKYLE Valued Member

This episode from your life really helps me to understand the nature of KI in Aikido. See all these other relevant posts that others have offered, they are merely nonsense compared to this absolute gem.

- Is this the kind of thing you honestly expect to hear when you write this drivel? Mod! Mod! Thread Down!!! Honest to goodness can someone restrain this nonsense. :confused:

17. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

18. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Ki is simply an eastern word.

Ki existed in every human no matter when or where he lived or what he called it.

Those who go on and on about what it means simply waste time when they should be training.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  19. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Ki in Aikido?

Good Ki = Strong Positive Spirit in everything that you do. Really don't think it need be any more complicated than that.
    Unfortunately though Aikido is riddled with mystics and Aiki bunnies that would have us believe different.

Thrown 8 times get up 9!!
    Always test yourself in training!
    Gerry

20. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It is quite disapointing the number of "ki experts" who can talk for hours yet last a minute before leaving a strong training session.

Anyone who has truly trained in aikido spots them immediately

Traditional aikdo.Yoshinkan and Yoseikan train as martial artists and do NOT emphasise ki it simply being one of the principles.

Ki aikido which emphasised it was proven to be so ineffective as a martial art that it changed the name to ki society.

Every other Japanese art has the use of ki in the training but do not present it as anything mystical.

I HATE politics but this once.

Tohei had an agenda..to create his own art which he did calling it ki aikido.

Ueshiba then gave him these orders

No aikido techniques would be taught in his classes
    No aikido names will be used in his ki classes
    The facilities of the headquarters would not be used to teach ki classes
    No aikido students would be invited to attend ki classes
    Aikido clubs removed pictures of Tohei from their dojos

All of these statements can be found in The book of ki co-ordinating the mind and body in daily life by Tohei.

Ki aikido was found to be utterley ineffective as a martial art and Tohei called it ki society.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010