Ki in Aikido and Aikijutsu

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by shaolin_hendrix, Jun 29, 2005.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Cannot open the link, each time I attempt it internet exporer goes off.)picture please). From your description it sounds like our kokyu ho exercises where the partner holds you solid and you mus throw him out by "linking to his hips" through his arms. If this is so we have a number of them.Perhaps you could explain how you execute the principle.

regards koyo

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I was just reading something else koyo wrote in another thread and I think I know what you're on about here.

If I'm right you're talking about things like happo undo, sayu undo, zengo undo, tekubi shindo undo, funakogi undo, ikkyo undo, kaho tekubi kosa undo, joho tekubi kosa undo, udefuri undo, udefuri choyaku undo, ushiro dori undo and tekan undo?

I've never performed those exercises purely solo. I've always worked with a spotter/tester or as part of a group on a crowded mat. Surrounded by 20 other people all doing the same thing, everybody must move in step. So it's not really solo.

And as I said before. Power comes from the hips. In each of those exercises we move from the hips.

3. Upyu

Upyu Valued Member

I'd disagree, power actually "passes" through the hips. But it doesn't originate from there. ;)
    The "middle" can direct power though.
    What do the legs do?? :cool:

4. Upyu

Upyu Valued Member

It's different from that Koyo. But I understand where you're coming from.
    Let me try and up the vid in a format that you can view first, then we can try and talk shop.0

Try this youtube link, it'll be up for about 48 hours or so :)

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The legs are there to keep you off the ground and allow you walk.

The hips are the linchpin in our stability on two feet. The shape of and load placed on our hips is partly what dictates the shape and strength of the legs.

You can think of the hips as being the key stone in an arch. Without the key stone, the weight above cannot be supported by the structure below. It doesn't matter how strong the walls are that form the arc of a bridge. Without the key stone the whole structure collapses.

If you wish to talk about the transfer of power through the legs. Then again the hips are the critical component. Take the humble greyhound for example. It's buttocks are tight and compact. This is to tie all the power from the legs into a very compact space. It is this arrangement that lets the greyhound to be such a powerful sprinter for such a small animal.

However most of the greyhounds power doesn't come from it's legs. It comes from the very flexible spine and muscle arrangements in it's back. Which happen to be rooted at the hips. Fused vertebrae form the central component of the pelvis. The whole arrangement works like a spring. And a spring that isn't rooted can't develop power much less deliver it.

The hips are the most critical component here. Power and stability are rooted in the hips.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Interesting, this is one of those areas I still need a lot of work on.

As it is, power I was taught comes from the ground up, but you "lead" with the hips. The legs move with the hips in a natural manner.

7. koyo

Hi Rebel

Since all of the techniques and strikes in aikido are executed "on the move". We"kick off" with the forward or rear foot depending on the direction of our movement. However, as you say, the real power comes from the hips or the koshi (waist) and the feet move naturally under the hips. Rather than concentrate on "foot placement" we align the hips and since we are moving naturally the feet "find their own placement".
    Again this is from an aikido perspective and may differ in other arts.In fact I think this is what aikiwolfie meant.

regards koyo

I think aikiwolfie and the bear are both attending the seminar on Sunday.

regards koyo

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Figuring out my travel arrangements as I read this ;)

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I know I like to post links to my videos, but this one demonstrates what I mean. http://youtube.com/watch?v=6DLG-kJfsqA

At the beginning, the front kick to the small intestine is through the body. You will see that the power is generated by leading with the hip. At the end of the video I use a butterfly strike, here it is similar to what you described Koyo. The foot is moved and the body is aligned but the power is because I lead with the hips and let the feet move naturally. The final piece to the power is to use the muscles on the anterior of the shoulders to link the power of the whole body through the target.

P.S. I still am winding up on the strikes making them longer than they need to be, but I know I still have much to work on and learn.

10. koyo

Hi Rebel

I like it in particular,although you don't mention it,constant defence of your own centreline throughout the execution of the techniques.Entering to the side. ALL GOOD

regards koyo

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Very nice Rebel. Looks similar to some of the stuff I've done. But without the kicking :p

12. Upyu

Upyu Valued Member

Guess I'd have to disagree with you there as well Rebel.
    I wouldn't "lead" with the hips either.

Here's a quick and dirty clip I did with some MMA kids, showing how you don't need to windup to generate power.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-HLVl9LNo"]Working with MMA kid on Kicks - YouTube[/ame]

Rebel, how do you get the power to come from the ground up??

Aikiwolfe:
    "Kicking" the ground is the last thing you want to do I think. That's like a major nono in JMAs, CMAs etc (when we're talking high level of course). Means that you're disconnecting the legs from the rest of the body since you're simply "pushing" the ground ;)

Unless of course you meant something different?

13. Upyu

Upyu Valued Member

Koyo, just curious but when you say "move naturally", what do you mean exactly?

14. koyo

In traditional aikido it is said that your everyday posture must become your fighting posture.So when we say move naturally it means through years of training our spine remains errect our muscles relaxed and our entire body moves (as one) No steps (as in plodding) thatcause the weight to "trap or draw out the centre of balace" Also the lapse between "having to move" and moving is much shorter in one who has trained over a long period.Of course the satement is "should become" One who has not emphasised developing a powerful natural posture through training shall have a "naturally" weak posture.

regards koyo

the kicking aikiwolfie spoke of were the kicks rebel used on his partner.
    When I say kick off it is term taken from football meaning when the action starts. Like if a fight begins we will say what kicked it of.?

Again rather than simply draw me out would you explain what moving naturally means to you?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I was talking about the kick to the small intestine Rebel shows in his video. At no point do I even suggest anybody should kick the ground. What would be the point? The ground doesn't kick back.

I'm not even sure how you'd get to that conclusion either. It's a bit of a leap.

16. Upyu

Upyu Valued Member

Koyo and Aikiwolfe, apologies I got your posts mixed up.

Aikiwolfe, no I wouldn't say it's a leap. The base "skill" set of most of these skills is pretty set in stone to a degree. There are differences in the "how's" but, "kicking" the ground would violate a major tenet towards keeping connection in the body.

Koyo:
    Sure,
    I'm sure we'd both agree that this subject could get pretty complicated, so I'll layout my views on the subject (not in any particular order of importance)
    For starters, moving naturally doesn't mean just moving in a relaxed fashion.
    There's certain principles that need to be adhered to within the body and connections that need to be strengthened.
    Through various connection exercises you train to connect the lower, middle and top of the body into one "line"/suit/ or frame.

The lower (and I'm being really general) is supported by an arch in the knees which props up the spine,
    The top is held together by a cross in the chest/sternum, between the scaps.
    And of course you have the middle (which can be split up further but for sake of simplicity, we're going to treat it in a more general fashion) which ties together the upper and lower. The front and back of the middle (tanden and the lower back area) stabilize and harmonize the connections from the upper/lower.

Through this you have to manifest 6 directional contradictory force within the body (ropo-no chikara), so that all points across the body are always being automatically stabilized.

Any movement that fullfills these tenets is "natural" movement, though in the beginning it may not feel so "natural".

Of course we're leaving out manipulation of the spine etc, but like I said we're keeping it simple.

Did you get to take a look at the pushout vid?
    "Pushout" is kind of a misnomer since you're not really pushing anything. If you push, or "extend" anything you'll bounce off the person (assuming he's got a bit of connection)

17. koyo

Sorry can't open the video. But jeeez don't I know what you are talking about above!! Had a seminar today to show the physical application of sword
    principles.
    I thought OK first things first throughout the training you must maintain natural kamae.There were visitors from other arts,iaido. karate ,tai chi and ninjutsu. Other than the tai chi (bear) the kamae was non existant . And relaxed meant collapse!!
    The maintenance of the verticl horizontal line created by the spine and the hips was a problem because of the stances they employed.
    In fact I was attempting to tell them that you must attack the natural kamae by breaking the balance on both horizontal and verticle axis ,as in break the balance backwards to the sideTHose who have been training with me were most difficult to unbalance while some of the others were so easy.
    From an aikido point of view I understand and agree with your description of kamae and from the other perspective while WE must maintain it we must break it in our attacker.
    The arch of the knees was also apparent in those who had studied kamae for sometime while locking and straightening out the knee was apparent in others.

In my dojo I have limited the numbers to around a dozen. This seminar was an open one to encourage others to attend.
    Truthfully I don't think it was a good idea.

Sadly, as you say, many do not have a positive foundation in BASIC posture before they are off training in "advanced" techniques.

regards koyo

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Hard to explain. What I mean, for example, is that when I am delivering an elbow strike with power, if it was to be observed closely, it would appear as though my hip is the first part of the body to be moved. A fraction of a second before the rest.

Ideally, I would do this without a wind up, as a wind up is generally considered inefficient and can telegraph intentions. I'm not quite there yet, I still find I have some wind up unintentionally on some of my stuff.

Nice video. Great stuff.

It is simple physics to me. For every action there is a reaction of the same force in the opposite direction. After the point of impact (which "fits the target like a key in a lock" or is "perpendicular to the target"), the technique is such that there will be a vector of force that is actually slightly upward, this uproots the target while directing the reactive force though me and downwards.

This is done through good technique not through timing.

Koyo, you might find it interesting that there is an "internalized" branch of Kajukenbo. One of the three main branches of Kajunkenbo is Tum Pai. It takes Kajukenbo street-wise format and internalizes it with principles of Tai Chi.

Check this out: http://www.tumpaiassociation.com/history.html#1

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

What ever.

Koyo sorry I missed the seminar. I was going to ask how it all went. Sounds like it was a bit of a nightmare?

20. koyo

Hi REbel

Looks very interesting. I think that every art should have it'e internal AND external principles and not give preference to either. Today seminar proved that with some who peofessed to be high grades in their own art having real difficulty with the training. Seams upyu deffinately has a point.
    Will post later Mrs koyo (she who must be obeyed) is calling me to eat something.

regards koyo :)