Keysi Fighting Methods

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Keysi_chick, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

Anyone do Keysi Fighting Methods? Trying to find peeps who do it and so far my search has been like :bang:

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Scroll down this page and have a look in the 'Similar Threads'.

One or two members claim to have at least tried it.

Cheers. :)

3. silverfox_y2k

silverfox_y2k Valued Member

To be honest Iam still trying to make my mind up about Keysi. As mentioned on previous threads regarding Keysi it seems to be well marketed and seems to get good coverage every month on Martial arts illustrated. Unfortunately, the magazine coverage is somewhat limited and doesnt really go into great depth about discussions on self protection etc. But it does show some thechniques that are used.

I myself, favour the thinking man concept, and infact use something similar as a "fend" from my "fence" or passive stance against attacks. However, after attending a so called Keysi fighting method class in London. IMHO that there is a tendecy to overemphasis this very technique, dont get me wrong I believe that it is an unbelievably effective and devistating technique when used properly. BUT this particular KFM instructor I trained with instructed me to stick fight from the thinking man stance/posture!?!? To a serious and experienced stick/FMA practitioner this is not an ideal or practical position to be in. Now think about it for a second a) you have a stick in your hand & b) rather than having the stick ready to hit intended targets you have both your hand on your head in the thinking man position with the stick in one of your hands. What do you do if you have 2 sticks? 2 sticks in each nad while holding the thinking man position???I do believe that everything has its place, mbut to instruct students to stick fight from such a position is impractical and for a "fighting method" thats suppose to be adanced will likely result in someone gettin seriously hurt.

I dont mean to offend practitioners of KFM but just wanted to share my experience of it. I thought everything about the class was good, apart from the position of the stick and also some of the hand exchanges they done with stick.

Just my two cents guys. :D

4. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

i understand what you mean. i myself found it a bit of an unsusal position to be in but believe me it works, for only a few weeks ago in training our instructor got us one by one into a circle surrounded by "opponents" with a stick and we had to defend upon that with stick in hand and the 'thinking man'. i know it doesnt seem feesable (i cant spell for sh**) and you put yourself in danger but once you understand the body mechanics of it you can apply it the proper way.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have met Andy Norman a couple of times a few years ago and he always seemed like a good guy. I also have a friend who has a few issues with him. Que sera sera!

KFM is very well marketed school/method and although my exposure to it has been limited to seminars I got a pretty good feel for it. However, it seems to be JKD with a slight difference in emphasis. Justo was very good though when I met him though!

6. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

Yeah its about to get even bigger partly through 'Batman Begins'. I have to agree its more advanced than J.K.D. but personally in my honest opinion i find KFM to be much more suited for me than J.K.D :)

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

:D

That's all I can say to that...

:D

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Huh?!?

To both points. Please clarify.

9. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

Well with the hyped up coverage of 'Batman Begins' ppl are asking what is KFM? as the fight scenes are purely based on Keysi Fighting Methods. Plus it is a lot more advanced than JKD, for example it is more based on street fighting and self defense. Its hard to explain but theres a technique in KFM called the 'Thinking Man' and that plays a big part in KFM, but basically KFM is essentially taken from the roots of JKD but its been stepped up a bit, if you get my drift.

10. YODA

I humbly suggest that you may lack a deep understanding of what JKD is.

KFM may well be a personal evolution of a certain person's JKD experience -that is another matter entirely, and some would say that it is therefore still JKD :D

11. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

well to clarify that i only studied JKD for about 6 months before moving to KFM which i have studied for 9 months, i think you have a point

12. YODA

Well - you have 9 months more knowledge of KFM than I do. Although I do have 17 years of JKD :D

13. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

Cool, so how did you get into Martial Arts? :)

14. YODA

I originally started in Karate about 28 years ago for many of the usual reasons.

Moved to JKD / FMA etc about 17 years ago.

15. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Keysi Chick you can find pictures of a few of the Glasgow Mappers in the photos section.
    at least then you'll know who to avoid at parties. :D
    Welcome to MAP.

16. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

hey thanks for the tip so where in glasgow ru at?

17. teacher

teacher Valued Member

I live in the west end. Our club is in Anniesland.
    We're training tonight. Wanna hit people with sticks?

18. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

cool i stay in the south of glasgow, our club is in castlemilk. i dont fancy hitting people with sticks just with my bare hands :D

19. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

hi, i have to state that i have trained with kfm at one seminar for a session and me andy norman, i did not think it was an extention on jkd, quite the opposite, many of the techniques were very wu shu and i would not have used outside, jkd is about simplyfying, that is not what i found at the seminar and after looking at mai a number of times i feel that it is too flahy, probably why it is being used in batman begins, and yes it has been well marketed.

20. whaledawg2

whaledawg2 Runaway love machine

WTH is this? I've googled it and found like 5 pages dedicated to it and none have said what it's history is or what really it is all about. I have discovered it's not about imitation, it's not about limitation, and it's the single most fighting technique in the world but what do they do???

How is it a JKD off shoot? And how well marketed can it be, everything I saw was in Europe. If we ain't makin' it, it ain't bein' marketed right :D After all, we invented sugared water we sell the world for a dollar a bottle ;)