Keylock from mount

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Subchimp, May 22, 2007.

1. Subchimp

Subchimp New Member

Hi,
    Whenever I go for keylock from mount I get bumped off. I (vaguely) remember being shown how to avoid this by trapping (probably the wrong word) one of his legs with mine, but I can't make it work, could anyone explain, or better yet, post a video?
    Thanks a lot.

2. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

why dont you ask the same question to your instructor?

3. Subchimp

Subchimp New Member

Good point. Actually two reasons:
    I'm training in Korea, my Korean is terrible.
    At the time I'm training there isn't really a formal session or instructor, just people rolling together helping each other.

4. Koyoku

Koyoku I enjoy pudding!

A couple quick things.

First make sure you actually HAVE mount first before going for the lock. Many times people fail to establish position and go for locks too soon and get uprooted...

Next, you can try to "grapevine" his legs and press yourself down into mount.

Last sometimes people switch to side control once the key-lock is on. I have done that too at times, it depends on how good your side contol is VS mount. I actually like side better than mount many times.

So those are a few points I am sure others will chime in with more.

Good luck.

5. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Keep in mind whenever you try and force your opponent's arm to the mat in a ninety degree angle, they're going to know exactly what you are doing. You're better off doing a keylock to an armbar or some other combination. If you're using both your hands to isolate one arm, doesn't take much to wait for the right moment and push your weight the right way with a hip bump for an upa, especially if you are new.

You could try climbing your mount higher, to minimize the effect of his hip bumps.

6. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

The last two replies were great. This one is especially improtant, "First make sure you actually HAVE mount first before going for the lock. Many times people fail to establish position and go for locks too soon and get uprooted..."

Remember, position before submission.