Kenpo Today...

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by kenpoguy, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Tapes can be a good resource once you have learnt the techniques and understand what to look for, but as a training aid they are poor.

2. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

It's nice to see Kenpo people agreeing together. If Kenpo representatives could unify their organizations a bit more then maybe we could prevent some of these frauds from happening. I don't mean that every club should follow the same teachings and syllabus but that if you want to call yourself 'kenpo' then you should at least be held to a certain standard.

3. kenpoist

kenpoist New Member

Kenpo is not something you can rush or learn from tapes, in my opinion. Tapes are a good supplement to current training with an instructor or if you need a refresher course on techniques you have previously learned. In my previous school, after 2 years, I hadn't even tested for blue belt in contrast to my TKD training where I earned a Black Belt in less than 2 years (my previous kenpo training led my instructor to start me out at TKD/purple belt).

I have heard there are some pretty shady training videos cirrculating around. Larry Tatum's tapes are supposed to be some of the best and done professionally - though you might have to pay more money.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005