Kenpo DVDs

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Cedric777, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Cedric777

Cedric777 New Member

Does anybody know of any instructional series worth using? I'm extremely dedicated to learn right now, & I don't care if it isn't Ed Parker's American Kenpo... just any Kenpo is good enough for me at this point.

I used to take AKKI American Kenpo Karate in the late 90s, and made it to orange belt w/ purple stripe. I now have a newfound interest in taking it again, but I've moved to a different city (Norfolk, VA) that doesen't teach any sort of Kenpo. That is where I've come to the decision to train again using instructional videos.

2. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I can only speak within the context of what I train in. We do have training DVD’s, but they are no good unless you know the technique and have someone to practice with. I don’t place much value on them as a learning tool, but they are a good reference resource for techniques you already know. My advice, for what its worth is to try and find something similar to train in. If there is nothing similar, try a few available styles, you might find you enjoy one of them.

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Check over at kenponet.com, they have an extensive database of schools for all varieties of kempo. An hour's drive to a class would be better than an hour of watching a video :)

4. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I recently gave some advice to a Kenpo DVD web site regarding search engine optimization and such for a new web site they are building (not yet launched) and they gave me a set of their DVD's. It's a spinoff of Ed Parkers Kenpo, or so it appears...I currently study a modified version of of kenpo that is made up of bits and pieces of many systems, but I find the DVD pretty cool for practicing to at home, learning some different techniques and such...but, if I didn't have current experience with Kenpo I think they'd be much harder to get a lot from.

Nothing beats an instructor in front of you detailing things...but the DVD so far seems to be a great suppliment.

5. kenpoist

kenpoist New Member

Cedric - There is very little kenpo in Virginia (don't know why). You have one school in Mannassas (too far for you) and a once a week church group in Charlottesville (too far). Go to Kenpotalk and use their references. Planas/Tatum/Cogliandro and a few others have some very good DVD's. There is also some real crap floating around as well! PM me for other Virginia info and I will try to help.