Kenjutsu training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aquilus, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquilus

Aquilus New Member

I'm looking for Kenjutsu training in or around Nashville, TN. I've learned medieval style fighting along with Roman and Greek, I've also used many forms of archery, Japanese fighting is what I've been working towards and I think I'm ready, but I can't find anything in Nashville. There's the Nashville Kendo Club, but it's more of a sport than serious fighting. If someone could point me in the right direction to start learning it would be much appreciated :)

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Kendo is just a sport?!?!

Well, it is, but if anything it makes it more valid fighting style. Another thing, when do you EVER think you'll be fighting "for realz" in a sword duel?

Google also says that Nashville currently holds no Kenjutsu clubs.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Kenjutsu is heavily based on kata and while some ryu-ha contain more free play once the student develops not all do and you will be spending a lot of time doing paired forms.

Is this what you had in mind?

Also taking on training in one of these systems can be a big commitment, something else to consider.

Sorry I can't point you in the direction of a Dojo maybe another member can if they feel it is appropriate.

If you haven't then read some articles here:

www.koryu.com

And this:
    http://shutokukan.org/join_the_ryu.html

It might seem OTT to some and the attitudes and methods will vary between ryu-ha but it gives a good view of what you might be taking on.

Is it specifically Kenjutsu you want? Have you looked at iai?

4. Aquilus

Aquilus New Member

I never thought I would be fighting "for realz", but I'm a history person, and I've always wanted to learn Kenjutsu. I guess I'll just have to keep looking in the greater area or I'll have to wait until I graduate so that I can just go to Japan and try to learn.

5. Aquilus

Aquilus New Member

Are you talking about Iaido? That was the first thing I tried looking for but I couldn't seem to find anything, do you know anywhere?

6. Dean Winchester

No it's Budo with a sporting component.

No it doesn't.

There's a big difference between Kendo and the various combative principles you see in Kenjutsu.

What's that got to do with anything?

People study these arts for many reasons and I've not met a serious practioner who does it because they think it's good for self defence.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sorry, it's those words there that always hit a nerve.

8. Dean Winchester

Yes Iaido.

I said iai to be a bit more generic, Iaido for some makes them think of Seitei-gata etc

Sorry I'm not based in the States, I can't help in that regard.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Just a couple of points: First, the OP has studied medieval swordplay, which suggests that historical content is more important than application. So, while I generally agree in the applicability of sport systems, that's not really what's in play here.

Second, you have kind of a contradiction on your hands. On the one hand, you say that sport systems are more applicable. On the other, you question the point of applicability when you're talking about swords.

The guy wants to study something based on its heritage, aesthetic, etc. If applicability were priority one, I expect he'd be practicing something less... archiaic.

Stuart

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think it might be more true of sword fighting sport formats than what you're used to though Chadderz. Not to bag on Western fencing (which I enjoyed immensely). But look at something like "right of way." In sport, it's used to determine who gets the point. In reality, it would be meaningless, as both people still got run through.

11. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

hard to find

Well I too couldn't find a study group or Dojo/club teaching Kenjutsu in Nashville. I don't know how far it would be but Lexington Kentucky (surprisingly) has a lot of sword culture. Also I would suggest doing what I have done. I couldn't find what I wanted in my city so I imported it myself. I travel to Lansing Michigan once every other month to see my teacher for Onoha Itto Ryu Kenjutsu Sokakuden training and I come back and lead my own study group. The folks at the Itten Dojo in pennsylvia are also having seminars for Onoha, you could start that way.

James

12. Dean Winchester

This is a good point.

Sometimes you have to travel a fair bit to get what you want.

I'm lucky the one Dojo I attend is on my doorstep however the other one I study at is about 100 miles away.

It all depends on how much you want to train.

13. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

I wish it were a hundred

Yeah lansing is a good 400 miles round trip for me lol. It also depends on the quality of instruction you get too. I wouldn't drive the distance if it was another study group, fortunately the Uhler's are both very high ranking in Aikijujutsu and Kenjutsu.

14. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Hi C....mind if I dovetail on your comment a bit? Like you those words always seem to set my teeth on edge and I think Ap has given a sound reason why. In my own experience teaching Korean sword I have found that new people, very often, don't truly appreciate the implications of what they are asking for.

Learning to use a sword as a weapon is not the same as a sport where I truly care what happens to the other guy. Fact is that learning to use lethal force is a very tedious and boring activity unless one is heartily motivated from within. Let me also say---correct me if I am wrong, Ap--- but the overwhelming majority of European sword duals often ended up in a tussle on the ground. I think this is because most people had never refined their practice to a lethal level, but only learned to bang another's sword aside and go for a clinch. What I have concluded about the Japanese practices is that people who had survived a number of encounters were able to raise their practice to a high level of effectiveness. All the same, Japanese swordsmen seemed to have appreciated that they could always encounter someone a bit more profficient, hence the heavy attitude regarding acceptance of death.
    Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

15. William Rucker

William Rucker New Member

Hello, I have just opened a Iaido/Kenjutsu/Daito Ryu school in Nashville,TN if you're interested. Please see my Website: (link removed)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2021
  16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Please do not necro an almost 10 year old thread, answering a member who hasn't been on since then, to advertise your school. If you wish to advertise, please contact listowners Mitch or Simon for advertising rates. :)

Thread closed for reasons mentioned above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.