Kempo Sparring Clips?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Taliar, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

In response to another thread today I looked at the following site http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/ and its clips of sparring.

Is this what kempo looks like when done correctly. There did not seem to be much resistance to alot of the throws and the attacks seemed prearranged and restrained. I appreciate that no pads where worn so some control is needed, just wondered if this is a good representation of free sparring or is it more a demonstration of techniques.

Also is it customary to execute the 'finishing blow' once an opponent has tapped out of a lock. This in particular made it look unrealistic.

Other than that it made very good viewing and the locks and wrist throws where very good.

2. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I'm at school right now, and I'm not able to view the clips. What I can tell you though, is that there are many different forms of Kempo/Kenpo, and the clips you're talking of are Shorinji Kempo. So yes, they are what Shorinji Kempo looks like in action, but other forms of Kempo look much different.

I'm assuming that the video clips they have posted are of an embu, which is a pre-arranged routine used to display techniques. There is free sparring in Shorinji Kempo as well, but for the purposes of demonstration (i.e. video clips posted online) it's usually an embu that is displayed.

And yes, it is customary to use some type of strike once your opponent has tapped out. During practice, these aren't full contact strikes, as a kick to the face or heel to the stomach while your partner is on the ground would tend to make continued practice with him a little difficult ;)

3. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

looks cool, but do you really have the keya when you do that?

4. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

"keya"? I don't understand the word...

The free sparring in Shorinji Kempo is usually done wearing a chest protector (Do), mitts and a head/face protector (Bogu). Sometimes these are worn for demonstrations of Self-Defence techniques, which would be pre-arranged moves for display purposes, or random attacks, according to the display purpose. I haven't watched the clips yet, but I agree that the most likely thing you are watching is Embu.

Embu are "created sequences", made from the techniques learned in the syllabus. A pair of Kenshi will develop the sequences into a 2 minute routine that can be performed at full speed. Used at Demonstrations and Displays, the Embu is intended to be part of regular training and working on one over time with a partner can be a very rewarding experience. Some partners can stick together over decades.

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Unfortunately I am unable to view the clip, as I have crappy dial up for the internet. But from what you are describing, it does sound like more of demonstrating technique in perhaps a self defense situation. Sparring to me is 2 peeps going at each other with equal or greater skill :confused:

6. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

I've checked the website in question (which was running very slow - you guys are ALL downloading the clips?!). They are all of Embu, as described above (except the very last two which are demonstrations of other aspects of Shorinji Kempo training). The clips are from Sweden and come from national competition days. In these competitions, pairs of Kenshi perform ther Embu and are judged according to the effective use of technique.

It isn't sparring in the clips, but to think it cold be mistaken for such is a compliment to the pairs performing the Embu, as fluid movement and realistic speed of execution are key elements of the sccessful Embu.

7. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Hi David, you beat me to this one.

I would like to comment on the finishing blow, after tap out. This is the usual way we train. The idea behind the tap out is so that you know you have the gatame on, and you don't injure your partner. The idea behind the finishing off technique is to ensure that when you do release someone, you can move back to a defensive distance without contending with some sort of counter attack. You could of course just dislocate the joint, but we are Buddhist based and wouldn't want to hurt you. :)

8. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I just thought of something else. David described the Embu as part of a competition, and that can be it’s purpose. Embu is also our method of demonstrating our art. Rather than break bricks, blocks of ice or bend spears with our necks we perform Embu. Embu can also be used as a training tool, both technically and philosophically. From a technical point of view it is one way to help develop free flowing combinations of techniques. The Embu are a creation of the two training partners to be practiced, it is their embodiment of Shorinji Kempo. This freedom of construction allows for experimentation of technique within a different environment from the clinical practice that you would normally do.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Also, if I may add to what Colin has said, embu provides a different emphasis than randori does. As in sparring you are still in a situation where you are executing a string of techniques with another person, but in an embu the emphasis is placed more on the proper execution of the techniques than with "beating" your partner.

10. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Hi Omicron,

Good point. Hows the training going? Are you going to the International Taikai in Fukui later this year?

11. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Hi Colin.

The training is going well, as always. I'm keeping busy working on ikkyu kamoku, and enjoying it very much! As much as I'd like to, I don't think I'll be able to make it to Fukui. It just won't fit into my student budget/schedule. *sigh* I'll have to try to make it to the next one!

12. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Thats a shame, Oh well start saving, you have four years.

13. Omicron

Omicron is around.

For sure. I really want to try to make it, and by then I should be in a much better position to go.